Drip 660

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brolik

Anybody see the step by step pictorial of Drip assembling his 660 clone? holy shit. Now I just need $1500 for all those transformers...

http://dripelectronics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=262

You forgot about the $900 +for the Tubes, $200 for a real VU and the $350 that the PCB may cost... Look on the bright side is the other goodies are probably only a few Ben franks.

Good shite though and he is one of the only ones crazy enough to take that one on.

BTW I have no idea on what the estimated cost of the PCB's ,It was a off the cuff guess

Kaz

Some day I'll be on the road to the 175 and the maybe 660, for now I have to finish some of the Drip stuff I have.

I think he said that the combined cost was somewhere around $1500, I'm sure only half of that is transformers  ;)

I've got a v72 to finish up myself, and I still have circa $250 worth of transformers to get for that. Think I'll need a raise before I start thinking about something this crazy!  ;D

All those tubes and the on-board transformers will put a strain on the pcb.. Not ideal, but it'll probably be 1 inch thick fibre.. ;)
Impressive all the same.

> cost was somewhere around $1500, I'm sure only half of that is transformers

My adding of the prices of transformers from Sowter gives around 1500usd for one set.
This would be a 3K usd project for sure.

Still - a major achievement for drip - and a great opportunity for the committed diy-er

Nele said:
All those tubes and the on-board transformers will put a strain on the pcb.. Not ideal, but it'll probably be 1 inch thick fibre.. ;)
Impressive all the same.

You beat me to it. way too heavy and many transformers to set on a fragile PCB, no matter how optimal it is layout-wise. The tubes alone are a strain.

And yes indeed, impressive.

Kingston said:
Nele said:
Impressive all the same.

You beat me to it. way too heavy and many transformers to set on a fragile PCB, no matter how optimal it is layout-wise. The tubes alone are a strain.

And yes indeed, impressive.

I think this problem could be fixed by adding more standoffs beneath the board. But i hope there is some space between traces for doing this.

Another problem are all those unprotected wires that go through metal sides of chasis. There is that rubber stuff which can be mounted to protects wires.

But i'm not saying it's bad design or something, i only wanted to suggest this two small fixes.

Congratulations Gregory!

Miha

He has a video up of it with a 808.

Greg is a great guy and I wish he was still over here.

I'll wait out until he is Rev 2 of the 175 and the who knows if I'll ever be able to afford the small fortune for a 660 build.

Kaz

OMG. Those clips sound fantastic. Somebody get me a bloody valium..

I'm broke and I still couldn't hold back  :eek:

The Drip 670 has begun  ;D

Now where did I put the other $4K?  (Anyone need a Digi CTL|24??)

I might have to bump a few other builds.

I think this one's all about the super case build.  I'm thinking about 1/4" aluminum plate and Nagra style construction.  Little stainless dowels and recessed allen cap sockets.  Like a tank!

Anyone have any great passive cooling ideas for this? I'd like it to be near me but if it's gonna need fans then I'll have to do relay switching and make a remote front panel.  Come to think of it - I might do that anyway so that I can do a VST plug to control it for the worlds first true analog 670 plugin  :p

I think with the cost of this build its really a question of weighing up how much use one will get from the unit. If after doing this rationalisation the answer is "heaps" then its worth every penny.  I am sure we would all love to have one but for the price, in my mind I would have to be satisfied I was getting enough work to be using it all the time.

Does it sound great? Of course. Would there always be a use for it? Of course again, but does it work with the maths? Well in my case I am not sure I could afford it in proportion to the amount of work I can generate.

Those clips do sound superb FWIW

I can't charge extra for
Any high end or preium gear i have so
it never pays itself off but
makes my work easier & more fun
end up selling myself

Greg's videos are all playing back with distortion, and I have a fast connection and computer.  I've even waited for the whole file to download first.  Is anyone else having this problem?  I can't hear what's happening with the compression or even clean audio.  I mentioned it to Greg.  It appears to be a Flash problem.  (Hint, don't ever use Flash for video.)

wtmnmf said:
I'm broke and I still couldn't hold back  :eek:

The Drip 670 has begun  ;D...

I think this one's all about the super case build.  I'm thinking about 1/4" aluminum plate and Nagra style construction.  Little stainless dowels and recessed allen cap sockets.  Like a tank!

Anyone have any great passive cooling ideas for this? I'd like it to be near me but if it's gonna need fans then I'll have to do relay switching and make a remote front panel.  Come to think of it - I might do that anyway so that I can do a VST plug to control it for the worlds first true analog 670 plugin  :p

Look at the original.  Open.  Don't put it all in a box.  However, it may not be a good idea to hang that PCB vertically with all the weight attached to it.  Ask Greg.  Another idea would be instead of a hard case top use a wire mesh or totally perforated top/ sides.  No need for a fan if it's sufficiently open to air flow.

Something like this, with a perforated cover and a 1/4" thick anodized aluminum (or powder coated steel) front panel attached to the long axis might be ideal. Don't know if they make one big enough though.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg21.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg22.htm

Joe

tommypiper said:
wtmnmf said:
I'm broke and I still couldn't hold back  :eek:

The Drip 670 has begun  ;D...

I think this one's all about the super case build.  I'm thinking about 1/4" aluminum plate and Nagra style construction.  Little stainless dowels and recessed allen cap sockets.  Like a tank!

Anyone have any great passive cooling ideas for this? I'd like it to be near me but if it's gonna need fans then I'll have to do relay switching and make a remote front panel.  Come to think of it - I might do that anyway so that I can do a VST plug to control it for the worlds first true analog 670 plugin  :p

Look at the original.  Open.  Don't put it all in a box.  However, it may not be a good idea to hang that PCB vertically with all the weight attached to it.  Ask Greg.  Another idea would be instead of a hard case top use a wire mesh or totally perforated top/ sides.  No need for a fan if it's sufficiently open to air flow.

Latest posts

Back