drip 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopermc5

Know their is a few people getting ready to start this journey so though I would post some pics and say it's worth the pain in the pocket book it's really cool tool! Ill try to get better pics
photo2-7.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

Very nice, it looks like there isn't a lot of margin for error there. Your cable management looks great.

Take some better pictures for us if you get the chance!

Thanks. And yes it sounds amazing!

@ biasrocks Cost 3000ish

@ paultec Yes that is my one and only grip is the pcb while very impressive looking would have been cool maybe to do it modular. more wiring but it coud have been squeezed in a smaller package.

will take some better pics

Those look like monsters! Great build and very neat.

What would the maintenance cost for one of those be? eg. fresh tubes every tube life cycle? Would tubes in those units last for like a year? Does it take up alot of power like comparable to a portable heater?

Awesome! I've got a board sitting in the corner waiting to be built. Where did you get the front panel? Is the extra knob on there the AC threshold? Thanks!

@glazer56 I edited a file someone gave me for the panel and had it made at front panel express. the knob is the dc threshold aka ratio I need to change this to a stepped so it's easier to get the 2 sides to track together on the fly.

@candoit Not sure of the tube life hope it last a while a set of 6386's will break the bank. That being said we have a old manley vari mu with 6386's and the tubes have never been changed it still works to spec. As far as heat goes my pm670 seems to put off way more heat but that most likely do to the tubes being spread out on the drip board.

I will try to take better pics tomorrow.

very very great unit !

How it sounds compared to "man-ley" vari mu , La-2a , and some other tube comp-lim?
peace
r2d2

I'm strongly considering it. Tell me about how it compares to the PM670 now that you have both at your disposal?

Sound Comparisation , "This is the question" ..... said that "famous guy " (be or not to be)..

the diy is a great thing !
I also made ​​some small project, and I plan on achieving some other a bit more "big"
but the cost of a diy audio "device" (info research , parts cost ,orders compilation + work , test & co. ..)

think it makes sense to spend over a certain amount , for get a "stuff"
then that does not give "certain benefits" in terms of sound and salable ?

(an original used/second hand l-a-2-a , or a vari-mu,etc... are much requested)

peace!
r2d2

mushy said:
I'm strongly considering it. Tell me about how it compares to the PM670 now that you have both at your disposal?

@mushy totally different beast I like em both. but you cant compare the pm to a fairchild because it's not nor is a fairchild a pm.

@r2d2 I have never been a "mojo magic" guy but the fairchild does do it for me. I have been using it awhile now so the new car smell is gone and it still rocks! We have la-2a's and other vari mu's they all do their thing and I love em all. I am not worried about resale Ive been dreaming of building one of these forever I sold my manley massive passive to do it!

loopermc5 said:
@glazer56 I edited a file someone gave me for the panel and had it made at front panel express. the knob is the dc threshold aka ratio I need to change this to a stepped so it's easier to get the 2 sides to track together on the fly.

@candoit Not sure of the tube life hope it last a while a set of 6386's will break the bank. That being said we have a old manley vari mu with 6386's and the tubes have never been changed it still works to spec. As far as heat goes my pm670 seems to put off way more heat but that most likely do to the tubes being spread out on the drip board.

I will try to take better pics tomorrow.

Loopermc5... Would you be willing to share that FPE file?  ;D ;D ;D

Back