Drip drip drip, ------

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya, but we're kinda stuck with providing free support for them - because the alternative would be to leave their builders in the deep sh** on their own. And we don't want to do that.

(we discuss this extensively in most of the threads)

The only real solution is that people realize how bad a deal they're getting, and avoid buying their cr** in the first place.

/Jakob E.

I hear ya, but we're kinda stuck with providing free support for them - because the alternative would be to leave their builders in the deep sh** on their own. And we don't want to do that.

(we discuss this extensively in most of the threads)

The only real solution is that people realize how bad a deal they're getting, and avoid buying their cr** in the first place.

/Jakob E.
The problem is we create an attraction for people who want to buy the s..t, knowing there is free support here.
I agrre we are stuck to helping people who have submitted their problems before now, but we should have a banner saying: "no more support for drip here". That is a first step to people realizing "how bad a deal they're getting, and avoid buying their cr** in the first place" IMO

Looks like we got Drips attention.

Not knocking the pcb’s or the older projects that I have from him in general. They are pretty awsome when you have the parts and the know how. That said, there is a plethera of people looking for project documentation and basic level of support in many places. Just pooling all the project build files and maintaining them on his site would be a huge help to his customers. I‘ve helped multiple people stuck on Facebook looking for missing documents.

Another idea is Chip in here, potentially ask for a sub forum and give a project pcb discount for those that help…

Last edited:
I was so disheartened when I heard their support was crap. When I was getting back into DIY 3 or 4 years ago theirs was one of the first web sites I happened upon offering what looked like cool stuff.

I was one day hoping they would offer their Fairchild 670 boards again, but not anymore. I am pretty confident I am not good enough to finish one of those with their current support level.

Maybe some other 670 choices will open up in the future.

Holy crap, I had to "finish" a Drip 670 build for a client and it was a nightmare. The supplied documentation was so volumous and convoluted that it was impossible to follow in any sensible fashion. What should have been a "paint by numbers" turned into a Jackson Pollock.
That sucks.

It's a holy grail piece that I would like to build one day. Hopefully I will be able to.

Holy crap, I had to "finish" a Drip 670 build for a client and it was a nightmare. The supplied documentation was so volumous and convoluted that it was impossible to follow in any sensible fashion. What should have been a "paint by numbers" turned into a Jackson Pollock.
It was a similar experience with the one I built. I had to ask on here for documentation for one of the PSU pcb's. One shouldn't have to be asking someone other than Drip for the documentation for his project. He should host all documentation for any revision of all his boards on his own website. The support is a joke, if you email him, it seems the emails just get ignored.

Last edited:
I never even remotely considered drip projects. First of all the pcb are way overpriced, and some expensive components are used with no real added benefits if not to give the idea of a posh product. They have always made some stupid claims -like curved pcb traces to sound like point to point wiring- the complaints about poor / missing documentation and complete lack of customer service have been there forever.
In my view drip is just providing the complete opposite of what diy really means. Posh overpriced items that look more like a fashion object, do we forget these are WORK TOOLS and not jewelry ???
Plus the attitude of not providing poor customer service and lack of communication just sound greedy. Of course they rely in part to GDiy to do the job they should be doing. If it were for me I would ban any further discussion about drip projects on the GDiy forum and delete all past material related to drip. This is a diy COMMUNITY not a charity that supports pseudo artists to sell their overpriced glitter.

Well, I'd like to thank everyone here who's helped me with my Drip projects. I really appreciate the time and thought people have put into their replies to me. If anyone is having trouble with the STA-Level I've managed to get mine up and running, so feel free to message me, and there are a couple of great threads here which have really helped. But yeah, it's a bit of a treasure hunt trying to work out which documentation is relevant to each build. A lot of headaches.

In contrast I've just ordered some boards from another site, and the documentation that goes with them is fantastic, with an extensive build guide, BOM with notes on variations, and test instructions. I feel as though this will be a really good build after some difficult experiences.

I’m doing a 670 Build right now for a client from a set of rev 2 (?) pcbs and having the same experience. Fortunately Audio electronics is my day job and fixing other peoples’ dumb shit is a bit of a specialty.

As someone else stated the cost is hugely inflated by unnecessary shit the docs swear you “NEED”. The dumbest one i’ve seen so far is a separate $24 mini fan plus speed control for every. Single. Diode. Rectifier.

I just went to 7A to-220-2 package diodes and if needed i’ll put a cheap silent computer fan in the psu chassis. Saved $100.

If you know what you’re doing you can pull off this build for like 2/3rds the cost of the supplied BOM and STILL be overbuilt. If you don’t then you’ll end up paying a lot of money to be very frustrated for a long time.

The curved traces "sounding" like point to point wiring just screams snake oil bullsh!t lapped up by poor suckers who don't know better! And yes the point that amplexus made about the rectifier diodes, when I saw this for the first time I just put my head in my hands. He is basically rectifying 6.3V AC and in order to regulate that to 6.3VDC he had to use super low voltage drop shottky diodes that do not bolt to any heatsink. They heat up, lazy solution; strap a load of bloody fans in there! In a piece of high end gear that is going into a "quiet" studio control room!!! I didn't even know about the speed controllers, OMFG. If he wants DC to the filaments then just get a custom mains trafo made with higher voltage!

And as for the lack of support, I thought the support would be what you are paying for with such expensive PCBs....?? But no

The curved traces "sounding" like point to point wiring just screams snake oil bullsh!t lapped up by poor suckers who don't know better! And yes the point that amplexus made about the rectifier diodes, when I saw this for the first time I just put my head in my hands. He is basically rectifying 6.3V AC and in order to regulate that to 6.3VDC he had to use super low voltage drop shottky diodes that do not bolt to any heatsink. They heat up, lazy solution; strap a load of bloody fans in there!
Arf! We have a saying here: "A good laugh is worth a good steak". I'll pass dinner!

Guys, don’t forget about a ton of SMA connectors and wiring. That’s a huge cost increase as well.

actually, most of their project do have alternative PCB vendors or open source designs.
And I don’t think this actually qualifies as business. Do you really believe they make a living selling their PCBs?

Back