DRIP ELECTRONICS ULTRA BRITISH HELP THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roel

SO,

I started my build this week and it's a pretty ambitious one. For all you out there who want to do the same I started this help thread. Hopefully we can get all of our answers and might help us build this beauty.... I'll post my progress and all the problems I might have and will come across...
14 pcb's, 10 xfrmr, 17 tubes,
Original is build with Sowters but I use Lundahll (due to delivery issues during these covid times). I hope I can get it to work.

Attachments

• 94131A6E-B6B1-4190-90C4-CBD75776E79F.jpg
    94131A6E-B6B1-4190-90C4-CBD75776E79F.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 71
Hi Roel,

I've recently got the same ultra British kit. What case are you going to use?
As for Lundahl's - do they make all required transformers for this build? Are they cheaper than similar ones from Cinemag or Jensen?

Last edited:
YES! Im so glad this thread is started, I am also in the process of building this project. and have been for some time.... I was planning to use Cinemag transformers. For case I am using the Bud Industries RM-14223 (suggested by Greg). I THINK the only things I still need are Meters, 600 ohm T-Pad and Transformers. Looking forward to more people building this thing!

If it's not a secret, could you specify which ones please? Are there exact substitutions among Cinemag's?
Of course. I Had a few emails with David Geren at Cinemag, about what I am looking for for the project. here is what he said about the requirements. If anyone sees any issues with the info I requested please let me know, There is always a chance I have made an error or misunderstood something... Also these prices may be out of date.

from David: For the amp.
"Thank you for your inquiry. I have attached the original Red47 information. Use the CMMI-7C ($76.31) for the input transformer. The output transformer is the CM-9661A-H (high-nickel laminations - $164.34). The really critical people swear that this is closest to the original. The CM-9661AL (50% high-nickel + 50% steel - $ $119.06) will give it a little more transformer color. The output transformers are listed on the Output Transformer page, but I have not had time to do a formal data sheet."

From David for the Comp:
"Hi Dylan;
The 4651A input transformer has a turns ratio of 1:2.6. The winding structure was extremely simple and thus had high leakage inductance. Use the CM-13102 ($62.65). It is not listed on our web site. (I only list a fraction of what we make.) The output transformer was the 16402. We make an exact replica P/N CM-16402 for $154.22. The original used L12 laminations, which cannot be obtained anywhere else than us. I researched those laminations all the way back to the original manufacturer so that we use the same materials from the same source, processed exactly as Arnold Magnetics did for Peerless. "

Attachments

• 436c Schematic .pdf
    686.7 KB · Views: 18
  • EMI-REDD47.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 21
So does Cinemag have all the required transformers? Correct?
Did you calculate how much would be the total?
I'm looking for suitable transformers as well and I was thinking about Sowter's, but if there's any other better choice I will consider it too. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Last edited:
So does Cinemag have all the required transformers? Correct?
Did you calculate how much would be the total?
I'm looking for suitable transformers as well and I was thinking about Sowter's, but if there's any other better choice I will consider it too. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
To the best of my knowledge based on what David Garen told me, Cinemag has all the suitable historically accurate transformers. These quotes are from a few months ago so I assume are out of date. At the time of these quotes all 8 transformers could be had for under 1k (915.04) not including shipping. This is what I plan to use:
2x CMMI-7C ($76.31)
2x CM-9661A-H (high-nickel laminations - $164.34)
2x CM-13102 ($62.65)
2x CM-16402 for $154.22.

Hope this is helpful.

How do you think, are they better than Sowter's for this project?
Sounds good. How long is estimated time?
Thank you so much!
To be honest, The only reason I chose Cinemag is because Iv used them for a number of other projects and have been happy as well as shipping/cost/time. Im US based. I don't know lead time however. I know this project was specifically designed using Sowter so I assume if thats in your budget its probably going to be your best bet.

I have Cinemag's in my GT Vipre tube preamp and they definitely works great there, and I had an experience with Sowter's as 1166 output transformers in a Neve project and they disappointed me a bit.. Thus I may suppose that Cinemag's could be really good choice for the Ultra British.. Though I should ask Gregory the reason why he decided to use Sowter's..
Btw they are more expensive (~£1100 GBP) and they have pretty long estimated time due to big backlog. Now it's about 4-6 weeks (was 10-12 weeks).

Hi Roel,

I've recently got the same ultra British kit. What case are you going to use?
As for Lundahl's - do they make all required transformers for this build? Are they cheaper than similar ones from Cinemag or Jensen?
Hi

I’m sorry to reply this late but I have missed this post. Lundahl does make the required transformers according to the distributor here in Belgium. Only thing is/was the main psu tx. I don’t get the required voltages and now I bought a Hammond 372 DX. I’m almost done with replacing it and I will be testing soon. After that it’s fingers crossed for the audio testing and callibration. For me there are a lot of points where I can go wrong but we will have to wait and see. I will post an extended review with all the parts and tx, valves etc. Also how I connected and chose specific paths (Altec A B or C etc). But I probably will be here first to troubleshoot because I don’t expect any help from Drip or Greg…😁

Hi Roel,

thanks for your reply. Could you also tell me please? What case and front panel do you use?
Did you think about the insert between the preamp and compressor (for example for inserting of an EQ) ? Is it possible in this project? It's pretty logical and could turn this unit into an extremely powerful channel strip.

Hi Roel,

thanks for your reply. Could you also tell me please? What case and front panel do you use?
Did you think about the insert between the preamp and compressor (for example for inserting of an EQ) ? Is it possible in this project? It's pretty logical and could turn this unit into an extremely powerful channel strip.
The case is the one Greg suggested from Amazon. It’s stated in the manual.

Frontpanel is from frontpanelexpress and I designed it with their software. Did a few smaller changes. Will post some pics later.

No I didn’t make an insert between pre and comp but due to the nature of the build (lots of flatcable connections) it’s very doable I suppose. Every board is a stage in the total setup. So preamp board, microphone board, compressor board. Therefore you can access every stage very easily.

The case is the one Greg suggested from Amazon. It’s stated in the manual.

Frontpanel is from frontpanelexpress and I designed it with their software. Did a few smaller changes. Will post some pics later.

No I didn’t make an insert between pre and comp but due to the nature of the build (lots of flatcable connections) it’s very doable I suppose. Every board is a stage in the total setup. So preamp board, microphone board, compressor board. Therefore you can access every stage very easily.
Hi Roel, Was wondering if you would be willing to share your front panel design? Curious how the project is going for you?

Latest posts

Back