Drip Pultec Blowing Fuses

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knotty

I keep having a constant issue with one of my drip pultec builds. the thing just keeps blowing fuses on startup. As soon as the power switch is engaged, it blows. BUT, and a big but. It doesn't always do it. It all started about 2 months ago, when I walked in my studio and found the thing wouldn't turn on. So I naturally think "well, it must have blow a fuse. It never has before, so it may just be one of those days". I replace it and it's all fine. Then the next day I come in. I flip it on and it blows again. Thinking It could be a bad 6x4, I swap out the rectifier. Still no dice. I try pulling the pre amp tubes and try powering up without those (thinking they may just be trying to pull a ton of current on start up). No Dince. The thing even blows when the rectifier is pulled. So, I start thinking maybe theres a bad cap in it, sometimes you just get sent a crappy cap. But, then i flip it on a few days later to test it one last time. What do you know. The thing runs like a champ for the next month. So curious if anyone has any input on what the issue could be. I'm probably just gonna order a new set of caps and replace them all, so I don't waste more time, cause I'm always slammed. But thought I'd ask here too.

Yeah I did consider the fuse also. They are slo blo that I'm using. I use them on all my other tube gear which runs fine. My thinking was that by taking out the tubes, It would help with the power surge at power up. Which what what I did and they were still blowing. Which is why I went down a different road of thinking. But'll try some different onees and see how it goes. Thanks!!

I'm not sunning a torroid. It's a Hammond 270FX. Beefy sucker haha

Perhaps inspect and/or touch up all the solder joints in the power supply section. Might have missed one or it's not stuck real good.

Latest posts

Back