drum tuner veer (and feedback)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjuried

JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
JohnRoberts said:
In case I haven't said this before 120kHz isn't so high that you can't scale up a typical audio signal generator circuit.

Since I've gone over to the dark (digital) side, I wouldn't rule out using a cheap microprocessor.  You could use the PWM output and a lookup table to make a sine wave, for a little more you can get a dsp processor with a 16B stereo DAC built in.  I coded up a sine wave generator that makes multiple sine waves simultaneously (albeit not at 120kHz).  But a very clean 120khz sine wave is not heavy lifting.

Easy is a triangle wave with a tracking LPF or perhaps A diode break to convert triangle to sine wave, but not crazy to make an actual sine wave using modern fast op amps. 

JR

Hi John,

A common practice I use with my ATMEGA168P-PU AVR series MCU's, to yield the results you note ,are as follows in this short paper: http://web.csulb.edu/~hill/ee470/Lab%202d%20-%20Sine_Wave_Generator.pdf
While I've been making sine waves for a few decades, I only started using micros this century (self taught).  My first and second generation drum tuners use PWM to sine wave for note synthesis. The first one using an 8 bit platform used two PWM outputs (one scaled down about 3 bits or so for more resolution)  feeding a 2 pole analog LPF and buffer. My second generation tuner on a 16b platform used two similar PWM outputs for the sine wave synthesis.  This time not scaled in level but phase flipped so for zero audio input, the two output square waves are opposite polarity and cancel each other out.  This trades where the errors are worst case, which for a constant sine wave doesn't buy much benefit. I feed my two PWM outputs into a class D IC with 2 poles of passive filtering. The cheap class D amp provided no external sync capability but the birdies (beats between PWM and class D) were down in the dirt and not problematic.

Of course these days with DACs built into the micros you can just output an arbitrarily pure sine wave using a look-up table. 

JR

PS: Of course I wasn't first to do this, and I saw the opposite PWM polarity trick used inside some class D amps.

I visited your website and like to concept behind your drum tuner. Very cool device!

Have you ever experimented with a slew of LM567CN's for frequency detection? It would be interesting as the center frequency is adjustable from .01Hz to 500kHz with a stable precision oscillator. I would gather it might be a more expensive route to go, however.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm567c.pdf

Cjuried said:
I visited your website and like to concept behind your drum tuner. Very cool device!
Thanks...
Have you ever experimented with a slew of LM567CN's for frequency detection? It would be interesting as the center frequency is adjustable from .01Hz to 500kHz with a stable precision oscillator. I would gather it might be a more expensive route to go, however.

If you really want to know I will tell you more than you want to know about drum tuning (or what they call "tuning").

First I had to look up  LM567.. an old PLL... (phase locked loop)... Not an obvious choice for note sniffing (hitting the drum and trying to pick out note resonances), but i guess it might be made to work...
=====
Not to change the subject but back in the 70s, Dr Patronis a well known physicist from Ga Tech invented a feedback finder/killer based on using a bank of spaced PLL to identify feedback frequencies and then use the PLL outputs to turn on fixed notch filters, to suppress that feedback. This was way ahead of it's time and very slick technology for 40 years ago.. I brought him into Peavey and tried to work out a deal with him to let Peavey make them but there were legal entanglements with another licensee of his so it didn't happen..  :(
======
OK back to drum tuning...  Drums are difficult because when you strike the drumhead they make more than one pitch  (see http://circularscience.com/about-drums for TMI about drums). So any sniffer has to selectively focus on just one of the sundry note pitches (you obviously can't tune non-harmonic overtones onto a single note). As if that isn't difficult enough, striking the drumhead actually bends the note pitch (sharp momentarily) until the head relaxes again. How hard you strike alters the sound envelope.

So while you might be able to make a PLL based sniffer recognized pre-arranged targets, to read the actual drumhead tuning requires tweaking the PLL frequency centers on the fly.

ASSuming you could reliably sniff and adjust the notes from striking the drumhead (I don't), my tuner adds an additional step after you have already dialed in the drum to a desired note pitch. Using that fixed frequency I set up a standing wave in the drumhead at resonance mode (1,1) and read the time delay, or phase shift between that standing wave relative to the exciting sine wave coming from my tuner. From this phase information I can isolate and accurately measure the relative impact of each individual lug tension. When every lug is adjusted to deliver the exact same phase shift, the drum is "clear".

"Clear" is a vague drum term that describes a more pure open sound. The drum still makes the multiple non-harmonic overtones,  but just the simplest single series of overtones, not a dissonant hodge-podge of multiple closely spaced but not the same pitch overtones. Even this explanation is not very satisfying. 

While i don't expect anyone to just take my word for it, here is a link to a recent discussion on a drum forum http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127692 Where several users chimed in.

I apologize for this veer into blatant self promotion, and now return you to your original programming .

To answer the question using PLL is probably not cheaper than performing a FFT inside a microprocessor. While the micro is more expensive than one PLL you would need a micro to tweak the PLL to extract pitch, so easier to just perform a FFT like the cheap note sniffers do (instead of sweeps like I do).

JR

PS: for more info about my tuner US Patent # 6,925,880 for Patronis PLL based feedback killer US patent # 4,079,199  (1977)

JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
Thanks...

If you really want to know I will tell you more than you want to know about drum tuning (or what they call "tuning").

First I had to look up  LM567.. an old PLL... (phase locked loop)... Not an obvious choice for note sniffing (hitting the drum and trying to pick out note resonances), but i guess it might be made to work...
=====
Not to change the subject but back in the 70s, Dr Patronis a well known physicist from Ga Tech invented a feedback finder/killer based on using a bank of spaced PLL to identify feedback frequencies and then use the PLL outputs to turn on fixed notch filters, to suppress that feedback. This was way ahead of it's time and very slick technology for 40 years ago.. I brought him into Peavey and tried to work out a deal with him to let Peavey make them but there were legal entanglements with another licensee of his so it didn't happen..  :(
======
OK back to drum tuning...  Drums are difficult because when you strike the drumhead they make more than one pitch  (see http://circularscience.com/about-drums for TMI about drums). So any sniffer has to selectively focus on just one of the sundry note pitches (you obviously can't tune non-harmonic overtones onto a single note). As if that isn't difficult enough, striking the drumhead actually bends the note pitch (sharp momentarily) until the head relaxes again. How hard you strike alters the sound envelope.

So while you might be able to make a PLL based sniffer recognized pre-arranged targets, to read the actual drumhead tuning requires tweaking the PLL frequency centers on the fly.

ASSuming you could reliably sniff and adjust the notes from striking the drumhead (I don't), my tuner adds an additional step after you have already dialed in the drum to a desired note pitch. Using that fixed frequency I set up a standing wave in the drumhead at resonance mode (1,1) and read the time delay, or phase shift between that standing wave relative to the exciting sine wave coming from my tuner. From this phase information I can isolate and accurately measure the relative impact of each individual lug tension. When every lug is adjusted to deliver the exact same phase shift, the drum is "clear".

"Clear" is a vague drum term that describes a more pure open sound. The drum still makes the multiple non-harmonic overtones,  but just the simplest single series of overtones, not a dissonant hodge-podge of multiple closely spaced but not the same pitch overtones. Even this explanation is not very satisfying. 

While i don't expect anyone to just take my word for it, here is a link to a recent discussion on a drum forum http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127692 Where several users chimed in.

I apologize for this veer into blatant self promotion, and now return you to your original programming .

To answer the question using PLL is probably not cheaper than performing a FFT inside a microprocessor. While the micro is more expensive than one PLL you would need a micro to tweak the PLL to extract pitch, so easier to just perform a FFT like the cheap note sniffers do (instead of sweeps like I do).

JR

PS: for more info about my tuner US Patent # 6,925,880 for Patronis PLL based feedback killer US patent # 4,079,199  (1977)

I suspect that  Dr. Patronis' work had a direct impact on the design of the Sabine "Feedback Exterminators" of the late 1980s's / early 1990's. Interesting read, indeed. While reading Dr. Patronis' patent I was reminded of the "Surface acoustic wave oscillator", found here: http://patents.justia.com/patent/4871984 . Where the key lies in detecting an offending  frequency in which the "overall phase shift is an integral multiple of 2pi radians" with a loop gain => 1.

Cjuried said:
JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
Thanks...

=====
======

JR

I suspect that  Dr. Patronis' work had a direct impact on the design of the Sabine "Feedback Exterminators" of the late 1980s's / early 1990's. Interesting read, indeed. While reading Dr. Patronis' patent I was reminded of the "Surface acoustic wave oscillator", found here: http://patents.justia.com/patent/4871984 . Where the key lies in detecting an offending  frequency in which the "overall phase shift is an integral multiple of 2pi radians" with a loop gain => 1.
Perhaps(?) Sabine is located in FL IIRC and Patronis is well known in the industry.

AFAIK the Sabine uses DSP probably a FFT and then some post processing to discriminate between musical tones and feedback tones. Then applying notch filters as needed to suppress feedback.

It is not trivial to discern feedback from music, and one common approach is to look at the envelope of the tone. Musical notes generally decay naturally after some initial attack, while feedback modes start small and build louder.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
Thanks...

=====
======

JR

Perhaps(?) Sabine is located in FL IIRC and Patronis is well known in the industry.

AFAIK the Sabine uses DSP probably a FFT and then some post processing to discriminate between musical tones and feedback tones. Then applying notch filters as needed to suppress feedback.

It is not trivial to discern feedback from music, and one common approach is to look at the envelope of the tone. Musical notes generally decay naturally after some initial attack, while feedback modes start small and build louder.

JR

Hi JR,

After spending a few minutes reading through, Sabine's patent (1990) US5245665 A, your right on:

"Audio signals are digitized and an FFT is conducted on samples of the digitized signals to produce corresponding frequency spectrums. These spectrums are analyzed, such as by determining one or more peak frequency magnitudes which are 33 dB greater than harmonics or subharmonics of the frequency in a plurality of several successive spectrums, to detect resonating feedback frequencies. The offending frequency is then filtered in the time domain, either in the digitized form or analog form, to eliminate the feedback."

I also found your patent US6925880 B1 fascinating. A couple of points that struck me are the fact that "overtones of drums occur at non-integer multiples". I can imagine, for accurate and precise tuning, this takes some serious work, which is were your "Resotune" really hits the drum on the head :) . Second, is the correlation between measuring loudspeaker current consumption changes versus the proximity of a loudspeaker to that of a drumhead. This is a quantifiable measurement that I had not thought of in the past.

I believe you mentioned laser detection as a method of measuring drumhead vibration. Have you experimented with this method as a viable acoustic sensor? Great stuff!

Cjuried said:
Hi JR,

After spending a few minutes reading through, Sabine's patent (1990) US5245665 A, your right on:

"Audio signals are digitized and an FFT is conducted on samples of the digitized signals to produce corresponding frequency spectrums. These spectrums are analyzed, such as by determining one or more peak frequency magnitudes which are 33 dB greater than harmonics or subharmonics of the frequency in a plurality of several successive spectrums, to detect resonating feedback frequencies. The offending frequency is then filtered in the time domain, either in the digitized form or analog form, to eliminate the feedback."
Ok that's another strategy to parse feedback tones from music. Most (not all***) musical notes  consists of complex combinations involving multiple harmonic overtones (same note in different octaves). Feedback tones are generally simple sine waves, so lack the typical harmonic content (clever). 

Some pianissimo (quiet) notes played on flute can be reasonably simple (pure sine waves), but flute is not a common problem requiring feedback killers.

FWIW I have another approach for stopping feedback that doesn't use the conventional notch filters but I don't need to talk about things that I don't know if they'll work, and I need another business project like I need a(nother) hole in my head. (If you are really interested in feedback suppression  PM me).
I also found your patent US6925880 B1 fascinating. A couple of points that struck me are the fact that "overtones of drums occur at non-integer multiples".
I talk about this on my About drums page. http://circularscience.com/about-drums. The issue is that the vibration modes involve different paths across, and around the "round" drum head.  Round is the operative term as we know from basic algebra there is a pi term between diameter and circumference of a round drumhead, this 3.1415x term makes for less than neat math between overtones. If that wasn't bad enough, when you mount a second drum head, the relative mass and tension of both interact to affect one series resonances but not the other, so there can be a near infinite number of different voicing possibilities from relative and absolute tension. 
I can imagine, for accurate and precise tuning, this takes some serious work, which is were your "Resotune" really hits the drum on the head :) .
Actually in my judgement tuning a drum to specific notes is less important than tuning it to itself (clear quality), but I may be biased. I provide note information because it falls out of my digital microprocessor approach for almost free. 
Second, is the correlation between measuring loudspeaker current consumption changes versus the proximity of a loudspeaker to that of a drumhead. This is a quantifiable measurement that I had not thought of in the past.
When writing a patent you throw in all the alternate approaches you can think of, basically to prevent somebody else from patenting that and preventing you from using it. My intent was to look at using the speaker current draw to replace using a microphone (first version used two mics) to identify drumhead resonances. In theory at a resonant frequency it will be easier for the speaker to push air up and down.  Indeed there was some there there, but not enough current change to reliably identify multiple drumhead resonances.
I believe you mentioned laser detection as a method of measuring drumhead vibration. Have you experimented with this method as a viable acoustic sensor? Great stuff!
I have not pursued this personally but IIRC there was a commercial tympani tuning product that used light to sniff head vibration.

The biggest complaint about my tuner (besides cost) is size and weight. Between my first and second generation tuner I experimented with making it even smaller by using smaller speakers, but I was not able to get reliable results so I am pretty much stuck with the current configuration and form factor. In one way it's good because my tuner can't be duplicated by a smart phone app (like the simple note sniffers).

I find drummers to be pretty frugal and not that concerned about tuning/clearing, when they could buy a new cymbal instead.  :eek:

JR

JohnRoberts said:
FWIW I have another approach for stopping feedback that doesn't use the conventional notch filters but I don't need to talk about things that I don't know if they'll work, and I need another business project like I need a(nother) hole in my head. (If you are really interested in feedback suppression  PM me).

I'm interested, and bet that a lot of people here are also. Unless you would prefer to have NDAs in place, care to share with us?

Shortly after I got my hands on my first Yamaha SPX90 back in the '80s, I had an idea, a slight pitch shift on a live monitor mix to break up regenerative feedback. Instead of an obnoxious blast of feedback tone of a single frequency, the progressive few-cent shifts every time around would curl it down and away from the feedback node, sounded a bit like a bird chirp.

But we never could find that happy medium of pitch shift between effective feedback dampening, and the singers noticing something was "off". Which led to some interesting conversations with singers during sound check that were unaware of what we were doing:

"Waddaya mean the _monitor_ sounds flat"?

Then we got better monitors and abandoned the idea.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

I'm interested, and bet that a lot of people here are also. Unless you would prefer to have NDAs in place, care to share with us?
What the hell... If I was serious I would have built one by now, and who knows it might not work, but like many things I've been paying attention to sound for a few years now too...
Shortly after I got my hands on my first Yamaha SPX90 back in the '80s, I had an idea, a slight pitch shift on a live monitor mix to break up regenerative feedback. Instead of an obnoxious blast of feedback tone of a single frequency, the progressive few-cent shifts every time around would curl it down and away from the feedback node, sounded a bit like a bird chirp.

But we never could find that happy medium of pitch shift between effective feedback dampening, and the singers noticing something was "off". Which led to some interesting conversations with singers during sound check that were unaware of what we were doing:

"Waddaya mean the _monitor_ sounds flat"?
Yes that is actually a pretty old idea (70s?).  Instead of a fixed pitch shift, more like a chorus up and down will  break up the feedback build, but still causes an unnatural oddly pitched reverb decay.  Because of that it was mainly relegated to low-fi speech only applications.
Then we got better monitors and abandoned the idea.

Gene
Yup, good monitors, good mics (with right pattern ) and proper set up will deliver all the SPL most stages need.

With the lower cost and increasing power of DSP the feedback killers got smarter and better (mostly) but still use the same old approach, notching out feedback peaks.  They differ in how they discriminate between music and feedback, some work better than others.

Now for something completely different. If we think about what is actually going on during a feedback event imagine a packet of sound (an arbitrary unit to help visualization).  This packet of sound comes out of a speaker,  travels through the air, goes into the mic, gets amplified and sent to speaker to repeat the circuit. The time to travel from mic to speaker is arbitrarily fast, so instant for the sake of this discussion, but the time for the packet to travel through the air to get from speaker to the mic is significant. This path length (time delay) will affect how the sine waves in those subsequent packets interfere with earlier versions of themselves (based on phase rotations). This is what determines the frequency that feedback nodes reinforce and occur at.  For a given physical system there will be a handful of hot frequencies. The path length defines the lowest feedback frequency possible which is why the hot spot monitors mounted up close to the mic would only feedback starting at several kHZ and higher (very short air path length).

Without getting down in the weeds, my different approach is to model the air path delay (pure delay with some frequency shaping), then subtract that simulated delayed feedback sound packet from the signal arriving at the mic.  So instead of applying notch filters to the entire audio signal, we just subtract a delayed version of the signal at the speaker to null this air path signal and completely prevent feedback from building in the first place. 

Hypothetically since we are only subtracting out the unwanted leakage signal coming from the speaker, the original sound signal is not degraded at all.

Of course this gets complicated for multiple mics and multiple,speakers but in theory it should all be manageable. I wouldn't try to manually tweak this but can imagine smart DSP based set up routines that make clicky burst noises and then reads the delay, level, and response to adjust itself. Easy with cybernetic control.

Or not... this kind of resembles echo cancellation used in long distance phone lines so there may be some old technology out there gathering cobwebs that could be repurposed..

I've been temped to code something up in my DSP platform while it only has a 12 bit A/D input (16b output ) but I could probably prove the concept... but like i said i have other projects higher on my list ahead of this.

JR

PS: You are all sworn to double dutch secrecy... This is just between us.. ;D

> few-cent shifts every time around

The ancients stole your invention.

And IIRC, it was well-known in the 1970s. (Before there was a real-practical way to do it.)

PRR said:
> few-cent shifts every time around

The ancients stole your invention.

And IIRC, it was well-known in the 1970s. (Before there was a real-practical way to do it.)

It was not well known to me.. (perhaps a personal problem).

I think I head about it second hand in the mid late 80s, never saw an actual unit or heard one, just was shown a copy of a flyer.  Reportedly it sounded pretty lousy and did not enjoy much success.

JR

> heard about it second hand in the mid late 80s

Rane says 1960s, but his citation is 2004, so the "1960s" may be personal memory.
http://www.rane.com/note158.html

Lexicon had a digital pitch shifter in 1972, but they were thinking of slowing-down the speed (slowing a tape) then putting the pitch back normal, for improved speech study (language teaching, stroke rehabilitation).
https://valhalladsp.com/2010/05/06/the-first-digital-pitch-shifter-lexicon-varispeech/

Before you tool-up your new-improved old-ideas howl-cutter, shop around. There's tons of products in this category. Even if yours is better, it will be uphill to get noticed.

PRR said:
> heard about it second hand in the mid late 80s

Rane says 1960s, but his citation is 2004, so the "1960s" may be personal memory.
http://www.rane.com/note158.html

Thanks for the (2005) link ... While he could use a few more footnotes.  Maybe I need to find the 2004 book he referenced.  He mentions my hypothetical approach as a throw away in his conclusions, maybe it is old news too..  :eek:  I wish he was more specific (academic curiosity, not commercial).

Lexicon*** had a digital pitch shifter in 1972, but they were thinking of slowing-down the speed (slowing a tape) then putting the pitch back normal, for improved speech study (language teaching, stroke rehabilitation).
https://valhalladsp.com/2010/05/06/the-first-digital-pitch-shifter-lexicon-varispeech/
Find a better reference. I am familiar with Dr Francis Lee's  ( MIT Professor)  varispeech.. It was our, VSC corp's (Variable Speech Control's)  major competitor back in the early '70s. While his was the digital 8-bitter I alluded to earlier (ours was analog). He shifted pitch both up and down, while the larger application was speeding up tapes and restoring the pitch by shifting it down for blind talking book users,( library of congress money yadda yadda), there was a smaller fraction interested in slowing down tapes for learning new language pronunciations.  Another hypothetical application was slowing down too fast musical (guitar) passages to help novice players learn how to play them, but the sound quality was too warbley (a technical term) to gain much interest. Speaking of Warbly, I will occasionally hear some late night movie background music where some sharp pencil type has applied old school time "compression" (presenting same program in less time by speeding up and restoring pitch), so they could squeeze in a few extra commercials.  The tell is hearing a burbling sound on dense orchestral passages. Something I'd love to unlearn.  8)
---------
More significantly Dr Lee made the first (?) commercial digital delay...  Something like $5k for a 20mSec delay of dubious audio quality but back then it was a milestone. 
-----------
Lexicon became far more famous for their digital reverbs years later.
Before you tool-up your new-improved old-ideas howl-cutter, shop around. There's tons of products in this category. Even if yours is better, it will be uphill to get noticed.
I'm repeating myself, but i already said I am not pursuing this... I introduced Dr Patronis to Hartley around 30 years ago, and I am all too familiar with Peavey's own DSP based feedback killers some 20 years ago. I have better things to do than wrestle with MI pigs in the mud.

AFAIK the  subtract out a version of the speaker leakage is not being done (yet?) but maybe I need to check google better.  If somebody has actually done that,  I'd have to say I like the idea...  8)

JR 

PS: Speaking of speech disabilities,,, Back in the early '80s I sold a delay line designed to help patients overcome stuttering (DAF delayed auditory feedback)... by practicing speaking with a delayed version of your speech in headphones (like those echos on long distance calls that made us stammer), and gradually reducing the delay until you could speak fluently, some patient could overcome stuttering that is associated with a similar physiological neural pathway delay.  (Stuttering isn't mental, it's physiological)

Latest posts

Back