Dupont connectors - any reason not to use?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonic

GDIY Supporter
So, I'm starting to have a pile of mics in a Alctron HT11 body, and have a pile of Dupont 2.54mm connectors. Any reason not to use them for transformers and capsules to enable quick change out? Have used on a capsule and I can't hear any difference - but wanted to check for the downside because I still don't know much yet!

Thank you!
~j

For capsules, it might risk introducing noise (with the connections being so close to each other) or attenuation (parallel wires having capacitance between them), but in much lower-impedance situations like output transformers, i see no reason not to. No significant currents involved there anyway, so even contact resistance is a non-issue.

For the capsules if you want to use connector you should choose one with better insulation. Possibly teflon, polypropilene or such. There you deal with HI z signal, means 100meg-1gohm.

So, I'm starting to have a pile of mics in a Alctron HT11 body, and have a pile of Dupont 2.54mm connectors. Any reason not to use them for transformers and capsules to enable quick change out? Have used on a capsule and I can't hear any difference - but wanted to check for the downside because I still don't know much yet!

Thank you!
~j
I was about to post the same question but a search showed you've already asked...so i'm now just curious whether you've run into any issues. I intend to use single pin connectors, so i'd think there should be no unintended capacitance issue. the one thing that concerns me most at this point is that the cheap mics and capsules i have all seem to have VERY thin gauged leads.

Haven't had any issues thus far! Super handy for swapping out transformers and capsules.

FWIW, I think most capsules have really thin leads - 24 or 26ga
Thanks a lot. This is very helpful to me, as I'm also of a mind to use them for making the HF deemphasis cap easier to swap when doing kingkorg's akg to u87 mods...i have a 797 capsule i want to try in a P420.

Haven't had any issues thus far! Super handy for swapping out transformers and capsules.

FWIW, I think most capsules have really thin leads - 24 or 26ga
any links or pics? i would be interested in an easy way to do capsule swaps, and agree with @Moby would make sense to have as good insulation as possible given high z. thanks

Well you could always use a dmm to measure if there is some leakage, use high voltage and high ohm resistors to make x10 probes...

Also capacitance meter to see if there is any substantial capacitance added when using the connectors. Not sure how the material will age or if it becomes more conductive over time, but noise introduced would probably be very audible. If you can't hear noticeable difference in performance, who cares.

There are many quiet mics where hi-z components are just soldered to the board. Standoffs are good practice, but not necessary.

Here's what I'm working with... I'll measure capacitance & resistance between a pair of coupled vs. straight wires at some point this week. Also, I'm super happy with the way this capsule sounds in this mic, so will probably test noise comparing directly soldered or coupled capsule wires as well.
IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

Back