Durrough 40A oops fell on floor...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappee

My beloved Durrough 40A meter was knocked to the floor and died. Fell about 3ft onto concrete floor but physically undamaged.
It is now DOA. I checked 120 coming in through fuse and on/off switch, good. The transformer appears to be loose from mounting although
connections look good. Needs new supply caps as they are old. opamps look seated proper. Nothing broken to the eye.
pcb labeled A,B,&D rev H 111-402-8
Anyone with ideas of what to check?

Check the obvious stuff. Pick an opamp and measure what voltage is at the v+ and v-. Work back words and see if you damaged the power transformer.
Check the tech documents section, we may have those schematics for repair purposes

Seems the transformer is bad. No voltage at V+ on any chip. Transformer was loose and I tried to re-seat but upon close inspection
I see some pins have been dislodged and a broken fine wire has been found. Where it goes idk?
Transformer DE124 8/89 anyone? Schematic says +15 -15 +5 secondaries.

Last edited:
no V+ on any chip. a could be PSU but as you started a faulty transformer from getting dropped.
dorrough is still around, they still support their stuff. perhaps you can email or ring them and see about a part?

Schematic for the 40A PSU shows transformer with duel secondaries. Yeah shouldn't be too unusual to find substitute.

Attachments

• dorrough40aPSU.jpg
    dorrough40aPSU.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 13
I did call Durrough, no answer, try later.... I have no clue as to DE 124 transformer. 8/89 is production date?
40A also used Reichenbach 81903-1 but they have gone away. So call your friends and check your closets
for this part. lol You'll never hear surf music again................thanks

Last edited:
if the broken transformer winding wire lead is visible, you might be able to solder a jumper to carry it out to the PCB pad. You might be able to suss out what is connected to what with a VOM continuity/ohms scale. From the schematic you can see that each transformer secondary has three terminals all connected to each through the windings (probably tens of ohms).

Take care the primary winding is isolated and not connected to secondary winding.

Worst case you could use two transformers one for 5V supply and one for +/- 15v.

JR

PS; I am not a big fan of dorrough, so my initial thought when I heard a dorrough dropped on the ground was that's a good start. ;)

Last edited:
Be nice if cinemag had a direct replacement but not sure they do power transformers. I know they do audio. I'll call them.
Thanks Doug

Talked with Cinemag David Gener, beautiful guy, and he says he has notes to remake reichenbach 81903-1. Very cool!
Just got reply from Durrough, Kay said last DE124 just walked out door but they turn up time to time.
She offered other solutions and I'm happy that Durrough cares about their older products.
Thanks to all who responded here on DIY. I've gathered up all the info and thoughts.

Talked with Cinemag David Gener, beautiful guy, and he says he has notes to remake reichenbach 81903-1. Very cool!
Just got reply from Durrough, Kay said last DE124 just walked out door but they turn up time to time.
She offered other solutions and I'm happy that Durrough cares about their older products.
Thanks to all who responded here on DIY. I've gathered up all the info and thoughts.
The folks at Cinemag (and David esp) are absolute gems. They've done some custom stuff for me at prices that are fractions of what any other maker has asked with no MOQ. I will sing their praises till I die. And yes, as emrr mentioned Cinemag IS Richenbach!

Latest posts

Back