ECAD/Gerber for classic OpAmp Board (API-Style 6 Pin)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azet

Hi,

First off sorry for calling it "API Style 6 Pin" but I'm ignorant as to it's actual nomenclature and couldn't find a definite one for this design of classic opamp package. Feel free to correct/inform me to that end.

I'm wondering if there's freely available open ECAD/Gerber/EasyEDA Files or Projects to design your own opamp in the classic format? Today everything is DIP or SMD. But it'd be nice to try something with the old design to have it plugabble with old audio devices. Now I was of course able to find schematics and sizing on these. But can't find any real CAD files for a project like this, which would save a lot of time and maybe trial & error. I use EasyEDA for prototyping if I actually want to order HW cheaply to try it out. But am also fine with any other CAD or Gerber files, have recently been working through a few different open source ECAD projects as well as AutoTools Fusion - which I like.

If it's still unclear what I'm talking about (click to enlarge - it's from a vendor page):
1680999406251.png1680999698600.png
[obviously I'm not talking about coversion to DIP8 but the old design :)]

Even better would be an open project example including a BOM for something like a 2520 or 990 clone. But it doesn't have to go that far, as It's unlikely I'll produce any of these -- there's already so many DIY and commercial ones out there.

Thanks for your help!
Aaron

Last edited:
@pucho812
Do some searching around here and you may find the discrete opamp 2520 footprints.
There are also diy companies that sell build your own discrete opamp kits.

I'm aware of the many diy projects and do own a few different of these opamps and adapters for modern DIP eg. TI opamps to the old pinout. I wasn't able to find footprints though.

Thanks for the feedback,
Aaron

Hi,

First off sorry for calling it "API Style 6 Pin" but I'm ignorant as to it's actual nomenclature and couldn't find a definite one for this design of classic opamp package. Feel free to correct/inform me to that end.

I'm wondering if there's freely available open ECAD/Gerber/EasyEDA Files or Projects to design your own opamp in the classic format? Today everything is DIP or SMD. But it'd be nice to try something with the old design to have it plugabble with old audio devices. Now I was of course able to find schematics and sizing on these. But can't find any real CAD files for a project like this, which would save a lot of time and maybe trial & error. I use EasyEDA for prototyping if I actually want to order HW cheaply to try it out. But am also fine with any other CAD or Gerber files, have recently been working through a few different open source ECAD projects as well as AutoTools Fusion - which I like.

If it's still unclear what I'm talking about (click to enlarge - it's from a vendor page):
View attachment 107666View attachment 107668
[obviously I'm not talking about coversion to DIP8 but the old design :)]

Even better would be an open project example including a BOM for something like a 2520 or 990 clone. But it doesn't have to go that far, as It's unlikely I'll produce any of these -- there's already so many DIY and commercial ones out there.

Thanks for your help!
Aaron
HEY!!! -- I guess I'm dumber than I thought I was because I have read through all of your postings here in this thread at least a couple of times and I still can't figure out what exactly it is that you are looking for and/or obtain!!! What is it that you want?

Do you want a set of GERBER files for the drawing that you show up above? Or, do you want a set of GERBER files for a 2520?

If you want to have some GERBER files for the above drawing, each view is missing one critical dimension!!! In the "End View" drawing, there needs to be a dimension from the extreme left-edge of the PCB to the "Center-Line" of the left-side PCB pin. In the "Side-View" drawing, similarly, there is a missing dimension from the extreme left-edge of the PCB to the "Center-Line" of the left-side PCB pin.

Here is a set of overlayed GERBER files for a 2520:

1681272304831.png

/

I think he is not looking for Gerbers, but for the actual board outline and pin locations. I have one in Eagle, because I did my own set of opamps (a 2520, 1731, 918 and opamp+followers). I think I found the footprint on this very forum, I think.
But I am not using Kicad, once you've become used to one ECAD tool, the hurdle to learn another becomes very large, for me at least :)

Hey,

Sorry for the confusion caused with the title. I'm looking for sizing specs, where pins need to be placed exactly on traditional 2520-style opamp layouts. Modern opamps come in DIP or SMD packages, for these there's readily available footprints.

@Jarno is correct:
I'm basically looking for ECAD sizing of the traditional component. Not gerbers of specific projects. I just mentioned gerbers because you could get the measurements out of them in theory. Best would be footprints from ECAD software or even an easyeda project that already contains a footprint.

I hope this clears things up and am sorry for the nomenclature mixup.

Aaron

I believe your looking for 2520.pretty file for KiCad right? Rename to 2520.kicad_mod
Then make folder called 2520.pretty and place the 2520.kicad_mod file in there then import into KiCad.

Attachments

• 2520.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I believe your looking for 2520.pretty file for KiCad right? Rename to 2520.kicad_mod
Then make folded called 2520.pretty and place the 2520.kicad_mod file in there then import into KiCad.
Thanks that's awesome! For the current use case I use easyEDA but that's fine, works for me as well.

Back