Echolette Echo 400 tape

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bancho

Hi!
Recently I got this tape echo/delay but it doesn't work as it should. So I'll describe what I found out and maybe someone would know what to do.

This is fixed 4-head tape reverb/echo with some overdrive function also. The guy I got it from said it worked about two years ago and he kept it in the closet since then.

The machine powers up and the motor is and the tape are running smooth.
It passes audio although there is a lot of hum and distortion from time to time without turning the knobs (if I turn it it gets worse). There is some minor effect on turning the eq knobs but if I turn the "return" knob there is just more hum... turning the "reverb" and "duration" causes no effect. There is also no effect with the switches for heads (echo nor reverb). The "volume" slider works.
If the tape is running and all the pots are fully open and if I slap the guitar strings or plug/unplug the cable the are some pops echoing. Because i didn't know where is this coming from I moved the tape from erase head and the pops were repeating...

I cleaned the heads with isopropyl alcohol although they weren't very dirty. I didn't demagnetise them as I don't have demagnetiser. I opened the box and it was quite clean inside. I used contact-spray on every pot also checked if there is any wire hanging freely (maybe due transport). I also made another tape from some old reel-to-reel.

All the actions were ineffective. There is still a lot of hum and turning the pots is still noisy... and yes: still no echo / reverb effect.  :(

Probably recapping would solve the hiss and demagnetising wouldn't do any harm either.... maybe also changing the pots...
Does anybody know what would be the issue? ...or how to approach the repair?
Does anybody know anything the about this unit or have some manual/schematics as I can't find much on the web?

(the picture is from GS because currently I can't make decent photos)

Attachments

• echolette_echo400_frontpanel.jpg
    echolette_echo400_frontpanel.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back