ECL 86 output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it me, or is the feedback from the secundary (center tap) of the output transformer to the cathode of the lower ECL86 a bit strange? (Because there is no ground reference.) Or is the ground at the output simply not drawn?

I've read that the EL 86 is an EL 84 and ECC83 combo, and I've also read that EL84s and 6V6s are compatible.. I guess that opens the doors for several options..
The pentode section of the ECL86 is weaker than EL84/6V6, so they are not identical. Nevertheless, you can check for suitable transformers among that iron designed for EL84/6V6. Hammond offers some transformers that might work because of their flexible connection possibilities.

I've never done this, where should I start to try findinding a replacement output transformer?
You need a xfmr with a primary impedance of about 10k and a secondary impedance in accordance with the speaker.
It's a push-pull amp. The maximum linear power is about 10W, but when overdriven, it goes up to about 20W.
The Hammond 125D should work. I wouldn't opt for smaller.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help here are the windings' DCR measured with an ohmeter, and the ratios I've found injecting 1VAC at the output :

Attachments

• davoli xformer.jpg
    davoli xformer.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
Thank you for your help here are the windings' DCR measured with an ohmeter, and the ratios I've found injecting 1VAC at the output :
DCR ratio is not a good indicator of the actual transformation ratio. But the 20.68V:1V seems adequate.
What Z is the speaker? If it's not writtent on it, measure the DCR and multiply by 1.3 to get a ballpark figure.
You said the primary is open, how did you measure the DCR?

One winding is open .. I mesured the side that is still working, and assume the center is correctly centered.

I don't know what speaker was used at the origin, but it worked something like 6 years with an 8ohm speaker.

Good answer!😀

Your primary target impedance is with a 8R loudspeaker atm:

8×20,68*20,68=3421 ohm. Thats looks pretty low. Maybe a lighter load would be better, something like 5 to 8k?

The Hammond 125 is very flexible, you can checkout what fits best.

There is still the feedback winding we should take care of.

Last edited:
I do not see that much problem with that. Maybe you have to adjust the feedback resistor.

Lets see what Abbey thinks...

Did you like the sound of the amp before?

Last edited:
Let's assume the use of an 8 ohm speaker. The original xfmr probably had a tap at 4 ohms.
So the connection would be:
Speaker negative and ground to pin 2
Speaker positive to Pin 5
NFB to pin 4
If there is a tendency to oscillate, connect NFB to pin 3.

There's an interesting point in the schemo. The heaters seem to be "elevated"; actually I should say "lowered" because the DC voltage superposed seems to be negative if I follow the capacitors, but positive if I follow the diode rectifier.
Can you check this? I have quite often seen elevated heaters but never lowered.

Let's assume the use of an 8 ohm speaker. The original xfmr probably had a tap at 4 ohms.
So the connection would be:
Speaker negative and ground to pin 2
Speaker positive to Pin 5
NFB to pin 4
If there is a tendency to oscillate, connect NFB to pin 3.

Awesome, I'll try that, thanks all.
Yes this amp sounded real good, something reminding good old Creedence Clearwater Revival guitar sound. I hope it will live again.
Maybe I'll go with a 125E instead of a 125D, the dimensions seem closer to the original one.

There's an interesting point in the schemo. The heaters seem to be "elevated"; actually I should say "lowered" because the DC voltage superposed seems to be negative if I follow the capacitors, but positive if I follow the diode rectifier.
Can you check this? I have quite often seen elevated heaters but never lowered.

Well done, the diode is reversed on the schematic, I'm going to correct it, thanks.

Back