Edcor Site Down?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

What gives, the site has been down all day. I'm waiting on a couple of transformers to get wound!

Ah, Mozilla is lying to me. Microsoft Edge works. Strange. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

I wonder how many terrabytes of user data has been gomped up by the datagators this time .

There is a lot of hacking and digital maneuvering going on out there. I think I will give them a call tomorrow just to see how things are going. I'm seven weeks into the wait thus far.

The internet is a scary place getting worse.

It is remarkable how many spammers try to sign up here every day... The forum software flags them all (I hope).

JR

Sigh....life was simpler in the early/mid 1980's when I had a 2400 baud modem and (paid account) on Compuserve and freebie BBS's were operated by a variety of individuals. My "single point of failure" was my Ma Bell line going down...and Ma Bell used to give a sh!t back then.

"Mama! Bring me my shawl as I sit in my rocking chair!" lol

Bri

my first modem was 300 baud (or maybe 150 baud) built into a Decwriter printer/terminal. The modem was acoustic, so it literally listened to the sound coming from the telephone handset, since metallic connections to phone company wiring was not allowed. I proved that it worked once, by having a friend call me and send me something to print.

Later modems were allowed to connect to phone company wiring, the rest is history (but wouldn't the old part be the actual history?).

JR

My first modem was a homemade acoustic coupler. The microphone and speaker were taped to the telephone earpiece with gaffer tape. In action, one had to be quiet, as any noise interfered with the transmission. I usually put my bedding over it for sound isolation. Then you could get maybe 300 baud. 😅

That was the pre-Internet era, you dialed the destination computer directly or used the then state-of-the-art data highway DATEX P.

Man, that was exciting! And it was absolutely illegal in Germany to operate such a device without a license, which made it even more exciting and daring.

You felt like a real hacker!

Back