Edcor Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the shielding is a problem that isn't easily ignored. You can put the transformer inside a can but a good mic transformer should also have an electrostatic shield between primary and secondary. And M6, while great for line level, is not suitable for low-level use unless you don't care about LF distortion.

Bill Whitlock gives a good explanation of the differences in construction (and the reasons for them) of high- and low-level transformers in the recent edition of The Handbook for Sound Engineers. The book is way too expensive, but it's worth seeking out at your local library or bookstore just to sit down and read the chapter on audio transformers. It's one of the most lucid explanations you're ever find.

If you wanted a mic transformer from Edcor, they could do it for you (with an electrostatic shield and nickel core) but you'd have to supply your own external shield(s). Even though it would cost more than, say, the WSM series, I'm sure it'd still be very competitive. Just be sure that your specs don't leave out any details.

I was reading this thread and noticed people saying that Edcor doesn't make Mic Input transformers. But while on their site, in the navigation at the bottom left, I read "Microphone Input Transformers".

Here is the link to the resulting page. Are these good for any DIY projects already out there?

I'm considering selling my console and will need some more preamps, preferably DIY and I want some with iron. But iron is pricey and these seem pretty cheap.

Matt

Gentleman, spec us a ideal mic transformer to be custom build. Edcor is very open to build whatever we want. The Edcor XS1100 is a perfect example of this.

Their many people around with a multiple knowledge of myself about this, so please storm your brain and let us try something. I can organise to get some prototypes build and tested by guruz all over this place. Let's make this happen.

:guinness: :thumb:

me too would like to pimp 48 channels of mic-inputs in some desks.... :green: or have the equivalent in outboard mic pres...

>Matt: What's that console you might want to sell btw?

[quote author="tony dB"]me too would like to pimp 48 channels of mic-inputs in some desks.... :green: or have the equivalent in outboard mic pres...

>Matt: What's that console you might want to sell btw?[/quote]

It's a Soundtracs MRX 32. 32 Channels, 16 returns, 8 busses, and 6 auxes. It has a few channels that don't work, but I haven't investigated.

sounstracs_mxr72dpi.jpg

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Sorry, way off topic.

Matt

I have to surf the Edcor USA pages a little more myself... Brian is adding more stuff every day it seems, and I'm way behind myself in finding out what exactly.

I have a few samples of the MX5 and MXL5 in test with a friend. Unfortunately, due to professional circumstances, our test and DIY time is too limited... as soon as we get more time at hand, we're going to report on these...

Jakob might know a little more too, although I'm afraid his spare time is limited as well.

The MX5/MXL5 should be more or less modelled after a very well know brand transformer... at least that's what my original request was :wink:

There's no such thing as an ideal mic transformer for all applications. But for the tube stuff I like to build, a 1ct:10ct ratio would fit the bill most of the time. Open-circuit primary inductance would need to be higher than 2K at 20Hz. Low DCR, at least no more than that of the Beyer input xfmrs... Electrostatic shielding between primary and secondary... Overall electrostatic and magnetic shielding.

That's what I want.

thanks Dave :thumb:

I would really apreciate it a lot if a few more labmembers would express their wishes too!

If you have a look at the DIY projects, there are a few ratios for input transformers needed .... eg 1:7, 1:4, 1:10 ..... . they need electrostatic shielding between primary and secondary, low capacitance winding techniques, and a mu metal can.

Anybody else?

electrostatic shielding (between windings) would be the key. i think you answered me in another thread that its not possible due production routine?
a microphone output transformer would be nice as well (like cinemags "u47 upgrade transformer" http://cinemag.biz/mic_output/CM-2461NiCo.pdf )

any chance to make laminations+bobbins available for a diy microphone output transformer?
-max

[quote author="ioaudio"]electrostatic shielding (between windings) would be the key. i think you answered me in another thread that its not possible due production routine?

-max[/quote]

If this is the case, I guess it limits the amount of edcors we can use for mic preamps. Enough said on that one I guess. Bummer. I like that they are in the US and cheaper than the other manufacturers.

Matt

I am having problems with edcor. I sent a mail on monday with my request, asking for the total cost with the shipment and the mail count for paypal. They ask me for the shipment address (miami) phone number and my count of paypal, I sent that info on tuesday.

I haven`t had news of them from Tuesday. I sent a mail asking if there were some problem, but I haven`t had an answer. the bad thing is that I need the transformers for first days of may.

somebody has had a similar problem?

Rafael

Call them. I had similar problems with a few other companies. There not used to a normal email response time of 24 hours, which i assume to be standard for a business.
Sometimes its even difficult to get the UPS tracking numbers :roll:

I am sorry for any problems. :oops: We try to keep up with the e-mail. I am trying to get our filters straitened out. I have seen one or two of my e-mail go to the junk mail box. If you can give us a call at 800-854-0259 it would be better. I am working on a support and tech forum for EDCOR products and you will be able to get a faster response from us. I am hopping to get it up by the end of April or May. If you have any other problems you can e-mail me direct at bweston at edcorusa dot com. Again sorry.

Brian, I didn´t have idea that somebody of edcor was here, if I had known it, I would have contacted to you first.

the tech and support forums are really a good news.
Rafael

Same here -- the letters are just noise. The 'play the letters to me' feature is cute, but pretty hard to make out as well (is she saying 'zhdsm', or 'vhbfn' ?).

JDB.
[managed to register eventually through trial-and-error]

Latest posts

Back