Edcor Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Has anyone here tried any of the trannies from Edcor. Any reviews?

analag

I'm listening to one of the three different types I have right now. I am so impressed, I ordered three more.
Clean, clean, clean, punchy.

I have a few as output trafos for some single tube pres. they are pretty nice for what they are. They don't have anything that will do for mic inputs though.. :?

[quote author="analag"]I'm listening to one of the three different types I have right now. I am so impressed, I ordered three more.
Clean, clean, clean, punchy.[/quote]

really... what project do you have them wired onto ?

I decided to use them for a Pultec EQP1A I'm putting together. 600:600 input, 10k:10K interstage, 10k:600 output. I started testing the 10K:600 as output in one of my optical comps and left it there permanently. Been running sound throught the 600:600 and 10K:10K for the last couple of hours at various levels, nice. I have a bunch of tube stuff that could use output trannies, which the Jensen JT-10K61-1M was the one I was eyeing but it costs over a $100.00 bucks. So I'm happy to say Edcor $11.59 option really works. If you're not hung up on brand names you'll be pleased with these as line level devices.

analag

Awsome to hear that these are workin' out... I guess I was also wondering if these trannies were suitable for other projects... I need input and output trannie for the LA2a, and I've been eyeing these Edcor trannies lately.... the 600:10k for input and 10k:600 for 'possible' output ? I think for the price, it's worth a shot ?

I would use the 10K:10K for input instead of 600:10K. On my optical comps (not quite LA2A as I don't really like the LA2A circuit) that's the ratio I use. I kept rebuilding these for 7 years until I got the sound I wanted, then I tried the trannie in one of my mono units and got a even better sound as I am now able to drive the stages at optimum level, with the transformer doing impedance matching and bringing down output drive to a more managable level for the solidstate devices to handle.

analag

I mentioned this briefly in a PM1000 post, but maybe I can add/gain insight mentioning it here too. I used a couple of WSM600/600's on the outputs of my PM1000 channel strips and they noticibly degrade the sound compared to running the outputs unbalanced/transformerless on the same modules. It's not a dramatic effect, but very noticible, probably the difference between a highly detailed pre and a smeary one that needs recapping. I chalked it up to "you get what you pay for", but perhaps there is something else going on here. AFAIK, 600:600 is the correct spec for the PM1000 output. Maybe the xformer gurus can suggest a reason (and perhaps solution) for what I am experiencing. Perhaps the XSM600/600 would perform better? So far I haven't tried any other xformers, just an unbalanced output. At this point, I can't afford Jensens or Lundahls, etc.

-Chris

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]I used a couple of WSM600/600's on the outputs of my PM1000 channel strips and they noticibly degrade the sound[/quote]

Yeah, I have a couple of WSM600/600s here and, while I love the shit out of them, I would definitely not call them "clean"... What gives? :?

Peace,
Al.

What are you guys driving your trannies with...light bulbs. Maybe I got lucky because they please me well.
icon_wink.gif
Maybe it's the price performance unexpected ratio playing psychoacoustic haluncinations with the minds ear. Could it be? Anyway I can't hear the sound deterioration.

analag

[quote author="Emperor-TK"] I used a couple of WSM600/600's on the outputs of my PM1000 channel strips and they noticibly degrade the sound compared to running the outputs unbalanced/transformerless on the same modules. ......

So far I haven't tried any other xformers, just an unbalanced output. At this point, I can't afford Jensens or Lundahls, etc.

-Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris,

I think with other trannies you could get more or less the same effects.
It seems the PM likes his output more without trannies. I like edcors a lot no matter what they cost. I think they should be seen as good quality trannies, not only as cheap trannies.

just the usual 0.02 ?

other people (NYD?) have used these as line level parts with success also. i like the xsm parts and plan to get some more soon.

Hey Analog,

Interesting about the Edcor iron, man. What model number are you using for the 10k:10k? I find the PC10k:10k on their website and also the WSM10k:10k. Could these be a suitable line-input tranny?

I'm building a box of pre-amps using JLM's 99V, and I want a diverse array of inputs to color sound. Any thoughts about this are appreciated!

Also where are you ordering from ? I live in Connecticut, usa.

cheers guys,
Jay

[quote author="indigom"]I'm building a box of pre-amps using JLM's 99V, and I want a diverse array of inputs to color sound.[/quote]

Sadly, Edcor doesn't make any mic input transformers... :sad:

Peace,
Al.

really, I don´t think those TO92 devices in the PM1000 can drive a real 600:600 output transformer well. If you must do it, try a buffer before the transformers.

Sadly, Edcor doesn't make any mic input transformers... :sad:

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

yeah, i didn't see any on their site... but i'm interested in having some line-level pre's anyhow. I'm not going to track through all of the inputs of this particular box, but process audio for my mix.

[quote author="indigom"]Hey Analog,

Interesting about the Edcor iron, man. What model number are you using for the 10k:10k? I find the PC10k:10k on their website and also the WSM10k:10k. Could these be a suitable line-input tranny?

Also where are you ordering from ? I live in Connecticut, usa.

cheers guys,
Jay[/quote]

Bro I live in Bloomfield, CT 06002-3925. The WSM 10K:10K is suitable as a line input to your line level input tube device. If you are looking for transformer induced distortion...look elsewhere. These shit rock!!!! I got one going right now. 11:04am Friday morning. One channel to my reference amp has a Edcor and the other is straight. I turned off the straight channel.
What my two naysaying friends need are output amps that can properly drive a transformer.
Just email the sales dept. tell them to send payment info (paypal in my case) for the parts you need, and they'll email you pronto, amigo.
analag

Bro I live in Bloomfield, CT 06002-3925. The WSM 10K:10K is suitable as a line input to your line level input tube device. If you are looking for transformer induced distortion...look elsewhere. These shit rock!!!! I got one going right now. 11:04am Friday morning. One channel to my reference amp has a Edcor and the other is straight. I turned off the straight channel.
What my two naysaying friends need are output amps that can properly drive a transformer.
Just email the sales dept. tell them to send payment info (paypal in my case) for the parts you need, and they'll email you pronto, amigo.
analag

sweet! thanks for the info

Back