Edit: Haufe T14 is NOT ringing with the 6s6b tube (false measurement, my setup was not correct, sorry)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hop.sing

Hi
Today I found something pretty surprising for me. I have this ELAM inspired circuit with a MBHO CK12 like capsule and a Haufe T14 transformer. Until a few years ago I used an ECC81 as the tube and I really liked that mic a lot.
The tube got noisy so I thought, well, The original ELAM was also build with an ac701 so I can install a 6s6b tube and enjoy the ultralow noise floor and good sound of this tube as well. I used a 100k plate resistor and 2,2k cathode resistance. The tube sounded clean and the noise floor was really low, but somehow I used that mic only rarely after the tube change. I found it too bright a lot of the times.
So a few days ago I thought I could try a deemphasis network like in this thread https://groupdiy.com/threads/u67-ish-microphone.75162/ to make the mic more usable.
I used a 10k trimmer as R10 and 100p as C9 and found I like the sound much better with 2dB less at 10kHz.
So I measured the circuit at the test input and found out that I simply linearised/repaired it with that network :)
Look at that:
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 19.43.16.png
The transformer is badly ringing going into my fireface400 Micpre. No wonder the mic sounded kind of wrong most of the times I tried it.
I guess the higher source impedance of the ecc81 linearised the transformer before, at least that is the only way I can explain my observation. The T14 was made to interact with the 6072 and this tube has a pretty high output impedance also.
All the years I was wondering if my taste in sound had changed, or something, I never connected the tube change to be responsible for that, because the 6s6b worked great in other microphones of mine. But they all have a 7:1 bv107 transformer and I guess that one is better suited to the 6s6b.
From now on I am going to measure more thorough, that is for sure.
What do you recommend as the best solution?
I could try to change the plate resistor from 100K to 200k and bias the mic colder.
Or change the tube to something like the the 6s7b with its higher plate resistance. I would love to keep the ultralow noise floor of the 6s6b, maybe the 6s7b has the same quality in that regard?
Or simply keep the tube and the feedback network as is now, since it works?

Edit:
I just tried the 200k Plate 3,6k cathode resistor mod (AC701 like) and it does not work out at all... That tube needs more current to work right, I guess.

Attachments

• u877U67 HYBRID.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Wow, i dont see how and why this would happen. Have you checked with an oscilloscope if it's really ringing?

What value is the cathode cap you are using? If it's Elam, what is the plate cap you are using? Since 6s6b has lower Rp the cap should be higher value.

I wonder about tube input capacitance also, because i have a Collins 2 stage preamp that lists several 1st stage tube options depending on the gain required, and while the primary recommendation measures flat, the alternates all create treble resonances. 1st stage input from a transformer secondary, feeding an RC before the output tube, no overall feedback.

Wow, i dont see how and why this would happen. Have you checked with an oscilloscope if it's really ringing?

What value is the cathode cap you are using? If it's Elam, what is the plate cap you are using? Since 6s6b has lower Rp the cap should be higher value.
No, I did not check with an oscilloscope yet, so I should say, it looks like ringing.
Cathode cap is 47uF and the plate cap is 1 uF, both should not be responsible for anything like that.
But I have seen something like that in tube/transformer gear quite often, usually you tame it with a Zobel.
The famous Klaus said, that the contemporary Haufe t14 is not what it used to be, maybe that is what we are looking at?
Edit:
I searched again...I am wrong, Klaus said it is like the original - Oliver Archut said the former...

Last edited:
I wonder about tube input capacitance also, because i have a Collins 2 stage preamp that lists several 1st stage tube options depending on the gain required, and while the primary recommendation measures flat, the alternates all create treble resonances. 1st stage input from a transformer secondary, feeding an RC before the output tube, no overall feedback.
Maybe... but the tube is a proven one in a microphone circuit...
There should be a pF range cap plate to ground. C2 in this schematic. Sorry i wasn't precise.

https://coutant.org/akgc12/elam250_2.jpg
This one used to be the 100pF cap, like in the original, but it did not do very much, so I connected it to the feedback network of Ruud's schematics, than it did something...
But the measurement was without the cap, I have to admit. But shouldn't the circuit simply measure flat without it, all my other mics do...?

Sure, but the cap should prevent ringing if there's tendency for it.

Edit:
@hop.sing
There's also version with 220pF
I measured again with the 100p plate to ground cap in place and it does not do much for a better frequency response, like 0,2 dB at 15 KHz, but of course, the 6s6b has, as you said, a low output impedance, but still, that peak is too much...

I was checking my (newmade) measurement cable with a loopback test and found out, that the cable itself was the reason for the frequency deviation. Wow, how stupid is that! And how stupid am I to blame the transformer just because I thought that is the only possible reason for that behaviour.
Cable capacitance and resistance measure completely normal, but WTF...
I replaced the cable with another one and voila, a flat circuit...
I am sorry for wasting your time and thoughts for nothing...

Back