Eisen Pre Neveish OT question....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darnell

Hey all,

I am looking to try out some Crimson CT-2385's I just got in one of my Neveish pres (JLM 1:4 Input/Purple DOA/Cinemag CMOQ2S) I have 2 like this and have 2 Crimsons.  Want to swap out the OT on one and compare.  I already sent an email over to Jens at Eisen (who is one of the best, most helpful people ever!!!!)  But it's prob past his work hours, And I have some time this eve to geek out.  So I figured I would poll the masses to see if anyone could help me out.

Here's the email I sent....

So I am about to drop a Crimson CT-2385 into one of my Neveish clones and compare on a few sources with the other stock neveish.  I want to see which one I like better before I get any Carnhill inputs.  Just wondering if the Crimson is a drop in replacement, or if I need to change wire routing/add or remove any caps or resistors on my DIY500v4 2007?

The Cinemag cmoq2s (nothing on R16/R17/C10) that is in there is wired as indicated on the pcb as.....

Yel-Org-Gry-Vio-Blu(*)-Grn-Red(**)-Brn

Crimson CT-2385 is from left to right.....

Gry-Vio-Blu-Grn-Yel-Org-Red-Brn

Just a little confused if Crimson used different colors and same wiring as the Cinemag?

Thanks for the help.

Daryl

Any knowledge would be much appreciated!!  ;)

Thanks.
Daryl

the cinemag output transformers and that crimson part have the same color convention for the leads.  the brown wire on the cinemag connects to the same winding as the brown wire on the crimson, etc.  but the left to right order may be different.  

so, if i understand your question, yes you can just hook up the colored wires into the labelled holes.  it may look a little different (some wires may cross over each other) but it will work.  even though the two transformers are superficially similar, they are a bit different, and should sound different, esp with the gain cranked.  if you want another neve-ish flavor, you might try the mini 1166 in the hairball shop.

ed

Thanks Ed. 

Jens got back to me and all is wired up.  That's the good news.

The bad news is the Neve knob on the pot was so tight that when I was trying to take it off I pulled the shaft out.  Seems like I got it back in the pot correctly and it appears to work.  Still need to try it out and make sure it works, but I will need to source the pot. 

The pot is VA388-10KΩ-RZ  which is made by Clarostat.  Apparently they are not available in orders under 300.

I'll post a wtb in the classifieds, unless someone knows of a place that stocks them. 

Thanks again.

d.

mmm, i don't know the exact revisions, but i guess jens now uses the bourns equivalent part, and your PCB may not have a footprint for that?  so he may not be able to help you.

those 388 pots are modular and if you talk to state electronics (potentiometer.com) they can make one for you, but it will not be cheap.  the only close stock thing i can think of is that john hardy uses a 10k RZ clarostat pot, but i think it has a second section behind the first, so i don't know if it will fit on your PCB.  he sells them direct for $25.  he might have a single section one in his parts bin...

all that aside, if you were careful putting it all back together, the pot should still work.  i had to disassemble and reassemble hundreds of those pots for a custom project several years ago and it generally was not an issue.

ed

Back