EL panel experiments power supply experiment ... for diy compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LA-3A used a 70 volt PA system transformer run backwards to step the 30 vdc supply up to the 100v + AC needed to light the EL panel.
It was driven by a discrete power amp. While a regular power transformer run backwards might have enough step-up to run the panel, I'm
not sure the frequency response would be very good at audio frequencies, since those are designed to run at 50 or 60 hz. A small 70 line transformer is not expensive, and pretty easy to find, and designed for the frequency range of interest. Some good concerns were previously expressed about the frequency response of EL panels. Night light-type panels run at 50 or 60 hz. Airplanes have 440hz power, so the original EL panel is at least part-way into audio land.

In my testing, I connected either the 8 or 4 Ohm "secondary" to the small power amp card, and then used one of the five "primary" taps....probably the one marked for 10 Watts, since that would be the greatest step-up ratio. Using the xfmr "in reverse" from the intended purpose.
Actually, the 10W tap is the one that has the highest step-down ratio, which means it has the smallest step-up ratio.
10W at 100V is 1000 ohms, 2.5W is 4000.

Latest posts

Back