ElaM251 in T.Bone SCT800 donor body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks damn close - i just posted the measurements, but I'm very positive it is the same ...

So do jakob's boards fit in these bodies? Is there any source for the boards? I'm currently doing a C12 and U47 for these bodies but the G7 would be another built I'd like to go for in the upcoming lockdowns ... :) ...

Last edited:
It looks damn close - i just posted the measurements, but I'm very positive it is the same ...

So do jakob's boards fit in these bodies? Is there any source for the boards? I'm currently doing a C12 and U47 for these bodies but the G7 would be another built I'd like to go for in the upcoming lockdowns ... :) ...
I had one of the board members in Berlin make up the boards to my dimensions. I further modified them to fit better. It’s late here so I’ll try and post pictures tomorrow.

Finished it today and I'm very happy with it. First I had an issue with the 7pin cable of the donor microphone, 4 and 7 have contact. Changed it and it worked.
I also had to change the little Cap to the other side of the Tube PCB, there was not enough space.

Thank you Michael Fuchs

Attachments

• IMG_6493 (2).JPG
    IMG_6493 (2).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220529_112102.jpg
    20220529_112102.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220529_112024.jpg
    20220529_112024.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220529_111910.jpg
    20220529_111910.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I had made the assumption that these PCBs would fit the Apex 460 body, but alas, they do not. The 460 is slightly narrower than this SCT-800 and unfortunately that mic is not readily available on this side of "the pond". If anyone knows another mic body with dimensions matching the SCT-800, please share.

I had made the assumption that these PCBs would fit the Apex 460 body, but alas, they do not. The 460 is slightly narrower than this SCT-800 and unfortunately that mic is not readily available on this side of "the pond". If anyone knows another mic body with dimensions matching the SCT-800, please share.
Hi,

Sorry for your inconvenience. Hope you find a good donor body fast.
maybe check jerry's link from above. this one looks highly similar ...

http://aurycle.com/aurycle-a5500-diy-microphone-body-kit.html
So the boards do not fit at all the Apex 460 or the PCB holes are in the wrong position?

best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael, both really. But the board with the tube and large capacitor is too wide for the sleeve to slip over it regardless of which way you would mount the board to the rails. It needs a couple more mm clearance. If the Aurycle body will fit, I'll get one of those.
For my 460, I ordered the D-251 boards from vintagemicrophonepcb.com. He says it is fully compatible with the 460 with a slight modification to one of the rails. One can never have too many tube mics ;)

Hi Michael, I have another question about the power supply wiring. In the build guide you say to "connect pins 1 and 2 with each other (red and blue
wire, see picture). Connect the black wires of pin 7 (7 pin-connector) and pin 3 (3-pin
connector) as depicted in the picture below."
but the schematic shows pin 1 of the 7pin xlr going to pin 2 of the 3 pin, and pin 2 of the 7 pin going to pin 3 of the 3 pin xlr.
The schematic shows pin 7 and pin 1 (3 pin xlr) going to ground. I cannot tell what's what from looking at the photos.
The schematic seems to follow normal 3 pin XLR termination, ie pin 2 hot, pin 1 shield or ground, and pin 3 negative.

Attachments

• build guide.PNG
    build guide.PNG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
  • schem.PNG
    schem.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 1
Hi Michael, I finished this build finally. I have been looking through the instructions but do not see what the bias voltage (RV102) should be set to. 60V 80V? I used the Maiku K12 capsule but I don't see any information on their site regarding specific bias voltages.

Hi Michael, I finished this build finally. I have been looking through the instructions but do not see what the bias voltage (RV102) should be set to. 60V 80V? I used the Maiku K12 capsule but I don't see any information on their site regarding specific bias voltages.
Hi,

perfect, happy to hear you went through with the built.

Yes that's true - simply because you do not need the bias voltage in case of the ElaM251 as it is cathode biased (autobiased). In contrast for example the C12 reauires bias voltage to be set.
The power supply can work for both types. Therefore you can either set the jumper and use it with an ElaM type mic. Or you can use the bias circuit part and use it with a C12 type mic.

As you went for the ElaM251, there is no Bias Voltage to be set.

Best regards and have great first recording session,
Michael

P.S.: Sorry for the late reply - I've been sick and moving to another town at the same time - not the best combination ;-) ...

No worries, hope you're feeling better. Well that explains why adjusting the trim pot didn't change the voltage! I didn't realize that was what was being jumped out. Ok good to know. I thought I screwed something up when the voltage wasn't changing!

No worries, hope you're feeling better. Well that explains why adjusting the trim pot didn't change the voltage! I didn't realize that was what was being jumped out. Ok good to know. I thought I screwed something up when the voltage wasn't changing!
No, should be fine :) hope you enjoy the mic!

Michael, I have to say this mic is just velvety smooth. I put an OOS (old, old stock) Tung-Sol 12AU7 tube in it. I'm running it into an Art Pro MPA II tube preamp so a tube mic through a tube preamp, needless to say is "warm". Great sound. I previously modded a 460 with the Fox circuit from Microphone-Parts and that mic sounds fantastic as well. I will have to A/B some recordings with both to compare.

Last edited:
Michael, I have to say this mic is just velvety smooth. I put an OOS (old, old stock) Tung-Sol 12AU7 tube in it. I'm running it into an Art Pro MPA II tube preamp so a tube mic through a tube preamp, needless to say is "warm". Great sound. I previously modded a 460 with the Fox circuit from Microphone-Parts and that mic sounds fantastic as well. I will have to A/B some recordings with both to compare.
hey, great to hear you finished your built. and even better you enjoy it.
at the moment i‘m recording with my band and we use mostly this one and the c12 for the vocals. i‘ll also get some samples soon too …

i‘m really happy in the end everything went well and you got a new versatile toy in your mic locker :)

best wishes mike

p.s.: i mostly ran it into uad ssl emulation - worked very well too …

here are the measurements of the body:

View attachment 87431View attachment 87432
Hi,
I anyone here can't stand golden headbasket like me there is good news, any t.bone SC microphone headbasket will fit on SCT 800.

I tried sc450 and it looks great, somehow it affects the sound as well. It does some dampening to high frequencies. Not sure if it's for better or worse. Maybe need to remove grille inner layer.

Is there any special trick with painting this mic?

Thanks

20230307_134020.jpg

Hi,
I anyone here can't stand golden headbasket like me there is good news, any t.bone SC microphone headbasket will fit on SCT 800.

I tried sc450 and it looks great, somehow it affects the sound as well. It does some dampening to high frequencies. Not sure if it's for better or worse. Maybe need to remove grille inner layer.

Is there any special trick with painting this mic?

Thanks

View attachment 106044
Cool - nice info with the grill.

For the painting @MicScharf did a nice job.

Post in thread 'ElaM251 in T.Bone SCT800 donor body'
ElaM251 in T.Bone SCT800 donor body

Maybe check with him.

Also this post delivered quite nice results and was quite detailed. Maybe it helps:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/painting-my-donor-bodies-construction-thread.81489/
Best
Michael

Back