Electrical Tape for Bodge Wires? (or 'Kludge Wires' in US parlance )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

Can anyone give me a name to search for (a link to Mouser / Digikey would be great) with regards to the tape one sees used in commercial products to fasten bodge wires (i.e. wires that you couldn't fit on PCB or compensate for PCB mistakes) to PCBs and enclosures? I've seen a variety of tape used, but it always has a strong adhesive, so it stays in place for years. Sometimes it's a cross-stitched tape, sometimes it has a velvet-like top side.

What is it known as?

TIA

thermionic said:
Hi,

Can anyone give me a name to search for (a link to Mouser / Digikey would be great) with regards to the tape one sees used in commercial products to fasten bodge wires (i.e. wires that you couldn't fit on PCB or compensate for PCB mistakes) to PCBs and enclosures? I've seen a variety of tape used, but it always has a strong adhesive, so it stays in place for years. Sometimes it's a cross-stitched tape, sometimes it has a velvet-like top side.

What is it known as?

We tend to use kapton (polyamide) tape for this. It's neither cross-stitched nor does it have a velvet-like top side, though.

-a

Thanks, Andy.

When you're at work next, would you be kind enough to note a part number for something around 1/2" wide (assuming you use that size)? I'm still struggling to find the right tape on Mouser; they tend to have all manner of esoteric looking polyamide (polyimide?), but they look a little high-end for my humble application. What concerns me most is that the adhesive will bond to the PCB without peeling off.

thermionic said:
Thanks, Andy.

When you're at work next, would you be kind enough to note a part number for something around 1/2" wide (assuming you use that size)? I'm still struggling to find the right tape on Mouser; they tend to have all manner of esoteric looking polyamide (polyimide?), but they look a little high-end for my humble application. What concerns me most is that the adhesive will bond to the PCB without peeling off.

Something like this and here.

Thanks, Andy. Will add that to my next Mouser order (funny how Mouser seems to beat Digikey on price so often these days - t'wasn't always the case in days of yore...)

Funny the list of applications in the mouser catalog: 'nuclear', 'industrial', 'very-high-tack'...

http://www.mouser.ch/Tools-Supplies/Adhesive-Tapes/_/N-wp6v/

I don't think you are looking for kapton tape, your application is not high temp. there is glass filled reinforced, may be that's more what you are looking for. I remember the tape from dismantling Japanese CD and VHS players and other vintage equipment. not seen that tape in a long time, with the advent of fully integrated one PCB solutions now days.

- Michael

audiomixer said:
Funny the list of applications in the mouser catalog: 'nuclear', 'industrial', 'very-high-tack'...

http://www.mouser.ch/Tools-Supplies/Adhesive-Tapes/_/N-wp6v/

I don't think you are looking for kapton tape, your application is not high temp. there is glass filled reinforced, may be that's more what you are looking for. I remember the tape from dismantling Japanese CD and VHS players and other vintage equipment. not seen that tape in a long time, with the advent of fully integrated one PCB solutions now days.

- Michael

This is to strap screened wires onto a 4-layer PCB. The tracking density is so high that going to a 6-layer PCB will likely have a crosstalk implication (as well as cost), so we've bitten the bullet and decided to run screened kludge wires for some routing. But you're right - because taping wires is such a throwback to the past no one I ask seems to be able to suggest what was used.

'yamaha mixer teardown' on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWBjeB9JP3Y

It's weird to see an item festooned with custom ICs having bodge wires running alongside them... I guess it was cheaper to pay a minion with an iron + glue gun than get new PCBs made.

Back