Elektor: "A Workspace for Audio Equipment Mastery"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KA-Electonics.com

White Market Member
From Elektor: "A Workspace for Audio Equipment Mastery"

https://www.elektormagazine.com/articles/workspace-for-audio-equipment-mastery
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.elektormagazine.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20230530094400_6.jpg

Mine looks, different, and also, so he currently does not have a project he is working on? That concept is completely alien to me, I always have at least 20 different projects I am working on, not constantly the same projects, but sometimes things take a bit of time before you can take them a step further.
I made dedicated project boxes for each project, and I chuck parts in the correct box when they come in, so don't loose track of them and order them again.

But yeah, it is a neat room, not particularly fond of the component storage in the little drawers though, it takes up a ton of space I like the assortment boxes better, which you can keep behind a door in a cabinet, looks better, and easier to use as you can grab a few and take to the workbench.

...not particularly fond of the component storage in the little drawers though, it takes up a ton of space I like the assortment boxes better, which you can keep behind a door in a cabinet, looks better, and easier to use as you can grab a few and take to the workbench.
I have a bunch of the Akro-Mills cabinets myself but I found out over the years how inefficient and somewhat inflexible they were as well. They're great for hardware but for passive components and semiconductors I use the small bags Mouser supplies parts in, or manila coin envelopes lined up in 4"x12" bin boxes. I index them based on the type of semiconductor they are and then use the base part number to sort them. So an OP07 is followed by an LM11 and an OP27 etc.

His actual bench workspace seemed super-small but the equipment wall was impressive by its sheer magnitude.

His actual bench workspace seemed super-small but the equipment wall was impressive by its sheer magnitude.
yeah, had another look at the pictures, indeed, almost no workspace. And I do think it is helpful to have a PC there to annotate schematics or look up things. Mind you, there's also a lot to be said to spend time away from a PC, less distraction.
But yeah, his desk is what, 4 feet wide, a foot and a half deep? He is not working on big class A amps, I guess.
Very nice measurement equipment, do wonder about the big analog voltmeters though, more a collectable than daily use, a few handheld multimeters are easier to use.

I have lots of bench space in the property bought. My brother tells me you want a smaller bench for work project preferable on wheels to roll where you need it and then storage shelf’s well organized. A large bench or any other surface just attracts stuff.

I like the idea of project boxes to keep them organized with all parts associated with the project to be pulled out of storage complete and put away when not working on the specific project. As Jarno suggest + 1.

smaller bench for work project preferable on wheels to roll where you need it and then storage shelf’s well organized. A large bench or any other surface just attracts stuff.
Not on wheels, but I have a few keyboard stands I use for this, made a board with front edge and side stops so it doesn't slide about.
Do we have a workshop topic on GDIY? :)
20230610_224340.jpg

Here's my space, modular synth to the right little bass amp below, dovetailed guitar cab that needs to be finished next to it.
On the desk my project box, also has an insert which you can clip stuff to.
Found files for it on thingiverse, but that didn't match the ply I could get here, so I made my own (mechanical engineer by trade, still have 3d cad on my pc although I am a manager now).

Last edited:
Sorry Jarno. The quote came from KA electronics not you. Your room look good Jarno for your synth workstation. I’m talking about a shop service bench not a studio control room. You can apply it I guess toward studio recording but a bench should let you work quickly on design and repair. I just like the idea of boxes or bins for projects your working on and keep your parts in the bins. Then change bins for the next project and keep items for that project in that bin. Keep your work bench clean to work in the next project then clean up to a bin when you’ve hit a stopping point.

It’s one of the things that makes a workstation so good for recording. The projects elements , files , plug ins. Mixes and such stay with the project. You work for a couple of hours on a recording, put away drives or media and load up the next project.

For me, at least for electronics, as I also have a shed, the point is that I only that one desk, it is a home office, the place I make structured sounds, and the place where I tinker with electronics.

I just like the idea of boxes or bins for projects your working on and keep your parts in the bins. Then change bins for the next project and keep items for that project in that bin. Keep your work bench clean to work in the next project then clean up to a bin when you’ve hit a stopping point.
It’s impractical to organize by project if your object is to have a stocked shop.

I like using those Akro-Mills cabinets. I like having standard components like resistors, electrolytic capacitors, IC sockets, terminal blocks, ceramic rail bypass caps, ext on hand so I only have to worry about oddball parts.

For resistors I use the large drawer kind. I keep the resistors in their original bags and keep a range in each drawer. For small oddball components like transistors I only need a few of I do the same as the resistors. For stuff I use a lot like certain IC’s and electrolytic capacitors I use the small drawers per value.

I have a paid subscription to Elektor, some articles are great, some are completely crap. This one is quite nice though. I also have contacted some of the authors via e-mail, some nice conversations have resulted from the exchange.

For itty bitty bits I use these. They come from Pandaland and are dirt cheap. Good for SOICs and 0805s etc. For anything with leads it's the usual Akro Mills that everyone uses.bitsbox.JPG

I have those as well for SMT, ordered them at Aliexpress, but really, they are not that much cheaper (at least not when I was looking) than the proper ones at the electronics distributors like Mouser etc. So I use those primarily, the covers close a lot more securely, and given that I some take my stuff to go soldering at a Electronic music DIYclub, really do want all of those parts to stay put :)
Agreed on Elektor also, especially like all the books with the circuit collections, the magazines are a bit meh these days. Everyday Practical Electronics is nicer in that regard (IMHO).

yeah, had another look at the pictures, indeed, almost no workspace. And I do think it is helpful to have a PC there to annotate schematics or look up things. Mind you, there's also a lot to be said to spend time away from a PC, less distraction.
But yeah, his desk is what, 4 feet wide, a foot and a half deep? He is not working on big class A amps, I guess.
Very nice measurement equipment, do wonder about the big analog voltmeters though, more a collectable than daily use, a few handheld multimeters are easier to use.
Yeah. I'd want at least three tables! Preferably 1m x 2m. Each one for a different kind of mess (that you can leave behind while you work on the next project).

For itty bitty bits I use these. They come from Pandaland and are dirt cheap. Good for SOICs and 0805s etc. For anything with leads it's the usual Akro Mills that everyone uses.View attachment 110117
I don't know what happened but they suddenly became cheap about 12 years ago. They went from large numbers of hundreds of pounds to down to about £15 for a perhaps 500mm x 800mm set. Now they're even cheaper and here Aldi are selling them at £8.99 in their Specialbuys offers (the main reason I get emails from Aldi as they don't often come up and get snapped up pretty quickly when they do).

Back