Encoder Replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I bought this frequency counter from the bay. I broke the shaft of the encoder when assembling it. I asked the ebay seller if they could provide a replacement. The answer was no. They were nice enough to give me a discount. It’s a cheap part but I broke it.

I’ve never specified an encoder and the choices are overwhelming. This encoder has a push button switch under the shaft. I don’t need the same form factor. It could be mounted off board if necessary.

I could just buy another one for $12 but I hate to see this go to waste. Any idea on a replacement or a way to provide more information about it if this is not enough?

Attachments

• ACE56B48-A126-4516-99A6-AA00A63BB371.jpeg
    ACE56B48-A126-4516-99A6-AA00A63BB371.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 32D4C964-3292-42EF-91BA-0C6723D88349.jpeg
    32D4C964-3292-42EF-91BA-0C6723D88349.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 34
How cheap are they? maybe buy a couple cheap encoders that have the same footprint and experiment.

JR

Are all encoders the same? I have no idea what specs I need to look for. I don't need the same footprint. Just something that works.

That's not an encoder. That's just a basic tactile switch with a long cap.

The shaft turns without an end stop. When you push down on the shaft it feels like it activates a switch. It kind of half worked and I saw values on the display change with rotation of the shaft. The switch also did something.

I can see this might be more trouble than it's worth. I found the same thing on Amazon for $9.00. It's probably easier just to buy another kit and be careful.

If you do a search in digikey or mouser for encoders with the same footprint you'll find a few different variants.

An absolute position 4 terminal rotary encoder is probably BCD,,, a simple up/down encoder can do that with 3 pins or less. The switch may use a 4th pin.

These are probably pretty inexpensive... you might be able to figure out more from looking at the layout... i.e. whats connected like power and ground and to the micro or whatever is in charge of the digital.

JR

The shaft turns without an end stop. When you push down on the shaft it feels like it activates a switch. It kind of half worked and I saw values on the display change with rotation of the shaft. The switch also did something.
I've never seen an encoder that looks exactly like a standard tactile switch. How many traces are there between it and the microcontroller? If it's two, it's a tactile switch. A lowly 2 bit encoder would require 3 traces.

You can take it apart to get some idea about the innards, but you can't get Humpty back together again after that.

Is there a single IC operating the entire thing, if so look for an applications note.

JR

I just ordered another kit. Took me a
minute to do and cost me $10. Seemed like the path of least resistance.

Understood....

My electric razor just broke (the locking mechanism that holds the blades in place.) Replacement head assemblies are $22, a brand new razor is $29

JR

That's not an encoder. That's just a basic tactile switch with a long cap.

Bingo! The shaft is just loose to rotate within the housing. I'm building vari-speed remotes for my Studer A80VU decks. Originally the Studer built remotes used multi turn dials on multi turn pots for recall of settings. I thought it would be better and more accurate to directly display to capstan drive frequency. Plus look cooler.

Latest posts

Back