Engraving/Milling Spindles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ptownkid said:
I see what you are getting at...but you will not hurt the steppers by getting stuck, they will lose steps though.

Seems to be some pretty widely varying opinions on this topic...

Well, I am talking with experience of using two machines for almost every (work) day for over ten years.

My comments are based on all conditions equal. Strictly speaking both of my machines had steppers.  One was a small desktop and the other one was 1m x 1.2m with 175mm Z.  There were times the geometry was not coming out correct on the large machine which was totally due to dirt getting into the drive mechanisms. After cleaining things became normal. If we were machining small parts on the large machine we always swapped the datum all around and used different parts of the table.

The only con I can think of the servo is the complexity of the control system aside from the cost.

sahib said:
The only con I can think of the servo is the complexity of the control system aside from the cost.

Not only control system, but also they are quite a bit more complicated for using in DIY projects. You will need timing puleys, timing belts, plus custom machined housing, while (sufficiently powerful) stepper can be mounted direct drive, with cheap readily available Nema34 mounts.

I bought a set of Gecko drives and servo motors with optocouplers, to convert my mill into CNC, but still considering going stepper route--just don't have time for all those mechanical complications.

It is my understanding, they are also more complicated to tune.

Best, M

Marik said:
Not only control system, but also they are quite a bit more complicated for using in DIY projects. You will need timing puleys, timing belts, plus custom machined housing, while (sufficiently powerful) stepper can be mounted direct drive, with cheap readily available Nema34 mounts.

It depends what your application is. You may require all that gubbings for steppers too. For lead screw drive which these flat bed CNCs feature, the motor is coupled directly. So there is no problem there.

It is my understanding, they are also more complicated to tune.
Best, M

No, that is a misconception but if you can expand on what you mean by tuning then I can comment better.

I would recommend against the Bosch Colt router. I bought one thinking I might use it on a cnc machine but I rarely use it even as a hand held router. It's low on power, has 1/4" chuck only and the electronic speed control is often intermittent on mine (on my 2nd, 1st failed after 1 day). The amount of deflection would concern me also, if cutting aluminum. I suggest the larger Bosch 1617 or Porter Cable 690 as a minimum. The 690 is a bit top heavy for manual routing but has great power for cnc. If you plan to unmount and do some manual routing, the 1617 would be my preference.

Back