EQP-1A3 Service issues ;-)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13engrsapper

GDIY Supporter
So this just came in for power supply recapping and general service. The first and most obvious problem to me is that everything is upside down, even the back.

Now I thought about it long and hard - perhaps I could machine a new faceplate which faced right side up... etc. But as we wanted to keep as much of it original vintage as possible here is what I plan on trying... carefully.

I am first going to remove everything from the faceplate and carefully set that aside. Then I can remove everything from the back of the unit desolder all the connections, remove the back plate, and then take all of the components out of the chassis. I will mark each component as to which side was up that should down and hopefully I can reorient them all during reassembly. I am just going to use a magic marker on the power cord with some white gaff to make which is up or down. I don't want to have to make a new vintage cord; that really takes some patience.

At that point, I can flip the chassis 180 degrees to the earths surface, and begin carefully reassembling the unit right side up. If I put I all back correctly, it should be right side up when we are done.

I really hope this one come out, the last one came out all sideways.

-Tony

PS: I was going to save this until April 1st... but what the heck.

Attachments

• tempImageeWDKmX.png
    tempImageeWDKmX.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Wait, this ISN'T a joke? Good thing to know.

Guess you won't be needing this Audiophile saw for the front panel....

Oh, well...

You can fit anything in a 9.5" rack....if you push hard enough!
That is my biz partners thought. He also likes durability testing things here by throwing them from his second floor office onto the concrete floor below- my floor. That is how he tested our stomp boxes back when we made them. To be fair, it has worked out. We both came up mostly on the road, supporting bands. So our gear tends to be built with durability in mind, along with ease of service. Features tend to be limited to what you really need, along with your ears.

I guess with limited bandwidth, I could squeeze two into the space it normally needs for one. Probably can save a ton of money racking them up, by just gaff taping them together.

Back