Etching Anodised Aluminium Panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

Thought I would share my experiences etching anodised aluminium faceplates.
I first experimented with this when I was building an analogue synth a few years ago. I always loved the faceplates of the vintage Moog modules in the Modular range. I found out that this was done with Metalfoto - a product which is now discontinued. Basically it is aluminum panels anodised black which is covered in KPR - Kodak Photoresist. You then put the panel with your artwork in a UV exposure unit. Expose the KPR and then etch the panel with Caustic Soda. Caustic is also the product used to develop the photoresist so the timing of the process was always important.

I tried to emulate this. Being in Australia I could not get KPR which is generally not on the market anymore but is available at some places in USA.
So I got aerosol Electrolube photoresist and started to experiment. Basically in short I got it to work after a few hiccups. What I did was coat the anodised panel in resist about 2 light coats - baked it dry with a hairdryer - left them to settle. Developed the PR in a UV exposure unit with my artwork. Make a solution with one teaspoon of caustic soda granules and 1 litre demineralised water. Heat this solution to about 30 or 40 degrees.
Then I immerse the panel in the solution - lightly brushing the area to be etched with a fine paint brush. Quite quickly the graphics start to appear. Wait til the graphics are as shiny as possible and then quickly take out of the solution and put in a bucket of water to stop the panel etching any more.

Seems cool hey but there were always problems.
First professional transparencies always work better than any inkjet printable stuff - believe me I have tried many. The thing is the untreated parts have to be completely opaque otherwise it will not work properly.
Even the best examples of this technique I could not stop the covered black anodise from etching a little. The caustic seems to penetrate the resist and take some sheen off the anodise. I suppose it needs maybe another coating of resist and maybe exposing for longer in the UV unit. Trouble is if you put too much resist on it does not seem to develop.
The whole setup has to be dust proof. If anything gets on the panel while the resist is being sprayed it will dislodge in the etching process - tiny hairs and fluff etc which will leave marks.

I will take some photos to show you guys how my panels look. They are pretty cool I like them but they are far from perfect. They look aged - not completely shiny.

So the main problem is the use of photoresist and the fact that caustic soda which you need to etch the anodise also develops the photoresist.
So when I saw the other post about the etch-matic it got me thinking about other possibilities. A stencil that would not be affected by caustic soda would obviously be a complete winner. I wondered if the stencils used in the etchomatic product would be good to caustic etch anodise aluminium. The stencil would have to be fixed firmly to the panel so the etching solution could not spread beyond the developed area. Possibly some kind of temporary fixer would be good.
I imagine the process would work like this. Lay the panel flat with the stencil fixed on top and then lightly poor the etch solution and brush slightly til the area is etched.
Any chemists out there - would love to hear your thoughts.
Graphics etched in anodise looks fantastic and I was ever so close standardising my method. The stencil method could be better.
Or maybe what would be even better is a spray photoresist that would not be effected by caustic soda - and hence would need to be developed by some other chemical.

Hi Tardishead

I also like the look of etched panels. Also used to etch a lot of aluminum...on integrated circuits.

One problem with caustic soda (NaOH), as you mention, is that it attacks most photoresist. It is a developer for positive working resists, but attacks negative working resists as well.

What we used for aluminum was PNA. That's a mixture of phosphoric, nitric, and acetic acids. Photo resist stands up to it much better. We usually used negative working resist (more durable) but it requires much more agressive chemicals to strip it. Negative working resists develop with hydrocarbon mixtures... often naptha.

What are you using to strip the resist after etching? Many strip chemicals would attack the anodizing...

Les
L M Watts Technology

I am also quite interested in seeing pics.....
The process sounds very near to a reproducable method for decent results...
Hmm, maybe the application method of the resist and and the etch timing can be optimized even further to achive best results (optimal resist thickness, less etching of the black anodized parts....).
Seems to be all about a sweet spot to be found (somehow like the toner transfer thing for pcb diy that is all about toner type, temperature, time and pressure variables, but can be optimized to work reproducably well in most cases!) 

Les, isn't PNA quite alot more difficult to handle than NaOH, especially regarding disposal, in the diy context?

Kind regards,
Martin

Hey Les
The problem is that I could not find much in the way of different photoresists available to the public. Definitely not negative ones.
In fact in Australia I can only find Electrolube PRP200

Tardis,

I found some liquid and dry film photoresists on ebay. Some ship from Shanghai.
Also consider screen printed resists. Easy to do.

Martin, I wouldn't think phosphoric, nitric, or acetic acids would create a disposal problem. After neutralizing, only fertilizer like compounds would be left.

A quick check of the CRC metal etching book shows most acid type AL etches are based on these chemicals. Some also use HCL and ferric chloride. Again, caustic etches usually destroy photoresists.

The problem I see is stripping the stuff without also removing the anodizied layer. I'm not seeing any stripping system that won't remove it, but there might be something.

These days for prototypes I usually use a printed overlay or cnc engrave letters. The cnc works great, but is slow. But i'm interested in your methods for chemical etching, particularly for anodized panels.

Also, I bought an anodizing kit, but have not tried it yet. It includes the dyes and sealer for colored anodizing like black, red, green, etc. It also has instructions on selective anodizing. Doing that after etching and stripping might simplify things.

Les
L M Watts Technology

There is "ImageOn" available in Australia. It's also developed with caustic soda but as it is a film between two sheets of Mylar, it maybe more robust.
http://www.polymetaal.nl/siteUK/shopukwork/en-gb/dept_12.html
http://www.mes.net.au/products/subcat-30-33.php

chromic-phosphoric acid anodize stripper

this is also used as an anodise stripper but will not effect the aluminium. Dont know where to get it. Or how to dispose of it.

With anodising - is it possible to develop photo resist before anodising so only exposed areas get anodised?

There is a special tape you can use in conjunction with a laser engraver.  The laser burns away the tape and only the exposed areas get anodized. I've had good success with this method using paint, which gives a silkscreened look, but it should do equally well with anodizing.

---Joe

We did some etching of aluminum control panels once by masking off the parts we wanted shiny and hitting the rest with a sand blaster. It looked great but it's not for detailed graphics obviously.

Latest posts

Back