EU to ban LDR's and Vactrols

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loss1234

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78937.0

my mouth dropped when I read this. seems to be slated for DEC of this year. will make it awful hard for people in europe to get their parts and for anyone building stuff to sell it in Europe.

what will get banned next?

yes it makes the build concept far more exciting when covert operations are involved. Who knows, the LA2A could prove to be a fugitive.

This is a serious problem for a number of manufacturers whose designs are based on the use of optos; they have joined forces and tried to demonstrate the silliness of this ban (it is based on the actual percentage of cadmium sulphide in the product, not on the absolute quantity- according to the texts, Vactrols and LDR's would be banned, but a finished product like an LA2 would not!), but news aren't good on this front.
I had to redesign a range of speaker processors, that used a Vactrol in the variable high-pass filter used to prevent over-excursions of the cone. I use a THAT VCA now.

But does this concern DIY?
As far as I understand, cadmium can't be used in products that shall be sold in the EU due to RoHS. I think/hope that you still get LDRs for privat use.

Chris

It's due the crap witch is being produced and thrown away after less then 5 years.

chr1s said:
Yes it does, because high cadmium content products will be banned. Nobody can import them, sell them. But you may smuggle them
As far as I understand, cadmium can't be used in products that shall be sold in the EU due to RoHS.
Actually, a finished product with just a couple of vactrols in it would not be banned, because the percentage of cadmium compared to the whole unit is negligible. Stupid as it is...

ok

so i think this means I can sell a box with one vactriol in it as long as the TOTAL percentage of cadium in it is under .01 %??

which basically means I SHOULD USE HEAVY BOXES ;)

right?

This is sad... instead of this MF keep trying to get rid of the crisis, they do that... yeah, is preety harzadous to our health to have 0.0000001mg of this thing on the LDR, but they don't mind on keep throwing tons of used uranium into the seas in "safe boxes" com'on!
Get a life!

:mad:

chr1s said:
As far as I understand, cadmium can't be used in products that shall be sold in the EU due to RoHS. I think/hope that you still get LDRs for privat use.

Chris

Well for one it speeds up the ends to end of life on products and product lines. This makes DIY builds, repairing or replacing a common piece yesterday impossible or excessively expensive for NOS today with out workarounds etc.. Which happens over time anyways but it did help clear out allot of the less common SI products over the last few years.

If you look at a mouser catalog at least 60-75% is covered or ROHS exempt and the rest is working toward compliance through replacement of materials or EOL.

well, that lawrence guy was a good engineer.
he choose a part that was very common.
the sensor in the common household motion detector.

so they should be around in some form for quite some time.

we might have to resort to creeping around the neighborhood until a lamp goes off.
then the next step would be to map the entire neighborhood, prefreablly, in  some other neighborhood, with green dots on a AAA map.
then, under a bright sunlit sky, the purp creeps out again with a trick or treat costume and brown Whole Foods shopping bag, doubled up with handles.
when the cops ask you why you are out trick or treating in the middle of the afternoon with a propane soldering iron, tell them you are blind.
then tell them the truth, that you are really  looking for vactrols.
that will scare them so bad that they will set you free quicker than hudie ledbetter.

one good thing about old stock, kubi ordered up a set of mastering T4's, each unit has to track exactly the same for accurate stereo reproduction, minimal cross phase distortion, and ample simblance of symbols.
therefore, i have been aging these precisely matched cells for two years in an effort to make these units provide a lifetime of accurate mastering.

Hang on a minute,

doesn't MIDI use isolators? How are they(we) gonna get around that?

I'll warrant that there must be Millions of the things in telephone networks. What about them? Two paper cups and a piece of string, perhaps?

does this ban affect the second-hand market, in that a seller is effectively dealing in a "banned" substance?

What a load of old tosh!

We can't use a TINY amount of CaS responsibly, in equipment that we will all be using in our dotage, yet we dropped how much depleted Uranium in Kosovo, Iraq and Afganistan . . . .

and what about bullets? the core of most rounds is LEAD! Probably more lead in ONE round than I used in solder last year . . .

Hurrumph!

ANdyP

oh yeah, vactrols are bad, but the energy saving light bulbs can have mercury... no problems there.

strangeandbouncy said:
doesn't MIDI use isolators? How are they(we) gonna get around that?
They're a different type. Vactrols are photo-resistors (LDR's), MIDI optocouplers are photo-diodes or photo-transistors; only 100-proof silicon ;)
does this ban affect the second-hand market, in that a seller is effectively dealing in a "banned" substance?
At the moment, according to british manufacturers, selling a complete finished unit isn't unlawful. And probably a TA4-B has low enough percentage of CdS to be lawful.
We can't use a TINY amount of CaS responsibly, in equipment that we will all be using in our dotage, yet we dropped how much depleted Uranium in Kosovo, Iraq and Afganistan . . . . 
Probably because of the inocuity of depleted U, according to the same authorized sources who counselled Bush, Dick Cheyney et al
   and what about bullets? the core of most rounds is LEAD! Probably more lead in ONE round than I used in solder last year . . .
But, ...these guys who receive bullets DIE; Isn't it proof enough that lead is dangerous? ???

Latest posts

Back