Exceptional Neve Build Quality

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet you never thought, "that's one hell of a failure out of a couple of thousand modules" ?
So what? You need a sense of proportion. This site would be inundated with pictures of first rate
manufacturers failures. It keeps me, and many others in an income.

Frank

I can't tell from the picture if that was a;

1- build quality problem- component not properly attached per design
2- design flaw - properly attached but design inadequate for normal stresses.
3- component failure- Part properly attached but part failed
4- extraordinary stress- Product exposed to G forces in excess of normal expectations. 

Stuff happens to good products too...

JR

You might actually be surprised to hear that out of the 8 1084's and 8 1081's that I have from AMS at least half of them have had to go back for various issues in the first six months of owning them. Considering they're in a studio with a very stable regulated balanced power and a very well cooled control room thats pretty surprising to me. Luckily this was a two second fix, but looks to me like whoever clipped the ends of the pins that go through the PCB clipped them way too short.

I hate to say that it happens but it happens.  there are far worse things. I just finished an install on a neve 5088 only to have the owner decide weeks later he is unhappy with the sonics of the console. Over half a year of back and forth on should he or should he not get to board only to decide this after spending all the money. whatever ain't my money. But more work that I would love to avoid in favor of getting in my diy time. Which got projects backed up because of this...

:eek: :(, sounds like a pita.

I was just checking out Vintageking, and i saw that Neve is actually pullin out another 500 series 1073EQ, but look at the guts pic, kind of cool to have the Sfernice in the middle of the Grayhill for dual concentric arrangement.
And that must be Special order  ::)

http://www.vintageking.com/Neve-1073LBEQ

Blimey, Pucho . .

I know it isnt yours, and its all earned money n all, but that sucks in my book. How frustrating. What on earth is he going to put instead, I wonder . . . . .

ANdyP

Sfernice pots are the work of the devil. Once upon a time you could get a Clarostat-made 'Spectrol'-branded pot for similar money. The ghastly Vishay empire put a stop to that when they bought Sfernice and Spectrol. Vishay's company practices are truly vile. It's the same for caps; BC Components - you name it - all part of the Vishay realm, with far, far fewer ranges available. Bastards.

J

Yeah.  If we lose those BC caps then there are very few axial options left for Neve re-caps.  I also do not have much love for those Sfer pots!

I could tell a story like the Neve inductor every week, but it is wise not to "crap where you eat".  I depend on the manufacturers for support so I can't go on about quality issues.  They are best dealt with directly.  I'll dish in person though!

I have a Neve Genesys installed at one location and we are all satisfied.  The console works great and they have been quick with any service issues.  Sure, packing eight 1073's on a 12x12 PCB requires SMD and the like.  Talk to Rupert and he'll say "Get rid of that old rubbish and buy the new modules".  I am actually fixing an original 1073 next to the Genesys today and hope to do an actual comparison.

Too bad the client did not do much real listening, especially with the heart of the studio.  Just be careful not to "crap where you eat".
Mike

Wow coming back to the first post...
That inductor looks like its been just dropped there on a purpose.

Ptownkid said:
pucho812 said:
I just finished an install on a neve 5088 only to have the owner decide weeks later he is unhappy with the sonics of the console.

Surely you jest...that's ridiculous.

it is rediculous, I am not jesting and don't call me shirley.

strangeandbouncy said:
Blimey, Pucho . .

I know it isnt yours, and its all earned money n all, but that sucks in my book. How frustrating. What on earth is he going to put instead, I wonder . . . . .

ANdyP

well the person has an api in another part of town in another studio. I originally suggested moving it as he is trying to sell that studio housing the api. Now he is rethinking my idea. It made sense to me as he is so used to the API sound and vibe. The only think really wrong with the API is that it's got gml automation. other then that it is a nice vintage API 3288 that has been expanded to 40 mic/line channels and 40 monitor channel/faders.

Frustrating it is.

Biasrocks said:
zayance said:
http://www.vintageking.com/Neve-1073LBEQ

"Electronically balanced" - The beginning of the end.

Mark

Perhaps it's a fine EQ?  However, I think most will agree the iron plays a large part in the sound of a 1073.  I think my 1300 would go toward somebody else's EQ, though. 

sodderboy said:
Yeah.  If we lose those BC caps then there are very few axial options left for Neve re-caps.

Hence why i've already purchased a full recap set for mine. I can just see the multi thousand minimum now...

Back