expectations vs reality

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

got contacted for a repair job.  Customer wanted  to bring it in and have it back the next day.  I explained to the customer, there is a surcharge on said equipment to do a 24 hour turn around. I also explained about how with shipping times, we can't get or stock every custom part on the planet and that any custom parts(discrete opamps, etc) would have to be ordered from the manufacture. 
It turned into a back and forth of I don't need it right away, so no need to charge a rush fee, but if I brought it in today can I have it back tomorrow.

We have hit the age of amazon now, where everyone thinks every facet of the world has the resources and means to operate like amazon does and thinks in amazon time. You know being able to replace things in hours vs days. 

The reality is unlike a stocked shop that deals in specific things, and unlike the studio shop where we deal in specific things, any thing out of that realm is subject to dealing with  the reality of not being able to stock every part known on earth for every little thing and the other reality of I don't diagnose issues over the phone.  I get it you think there is a problem, but I have to test and measure to confirm if it is or if it is not the unit.

The Age of Amazon, that is a great name!

I'll tell you pucho, Amazon is not to blame, its instant gratification, Amazon is just a byproduct of it.

Its the whole idea that you should do whatever your heart and flesh desires, at the moment you desire it with the least amount of effort, and this has affected every single aspect of our society.

A clear example is the new generation of engineers/mixers/producers, I have met many of the new Gen Z kids going that way, I noticed that the great majority of them don't know how to play any instrument, they never played in a band, and they do not know music or harmony, why? I figured it out, playing an instrument and learning music takes a lot of time and dedication and they don't want to do it, they either want it now or they don't want it at all, if you can't learn something after 3 or 4 YouTube tutorials, then for them it is not worth it... That is why everyone is a DJ these days, you don't have to learn how to do it! if Paris Hilton can do it, anyone can! I am sorry for real DJs whos craft has been downgraded so much. There are some exceptions of course...

A shocking statistic which I've heard many times before: 75% OF CHILDREN AGES 6 TO 17 WANT TO BECOME YOUTUBERS

https://mediakix.com/blog/percent-children-becoming-a-youtuber/

Honestly it makes perfect sense to me.... You can gain world fame, followers, status, and a sh*t load of money for just filming yourself in your bedroom with a camera talking about whatever non-sense you can imagine, and if you are a woman you can have onlyfans! you can make millions for basically doing nothing but stripping and chatting with perverts! how appealing is that! forget about spending years learning a trade or going to college, a life long career? hell no!

This actress called Blac Chyna, I read that she makes 20 million a month for her onlyfans page! https://besttoppers.com/top-earners-on-onlyfans/

Remember back then when girls used to strip at clubs to pay for their college tuition? They don't have to leave their room now! and they don't have to spend it on college either! why do it if you are a millionaire?

user 37518 said:
The Age of Amazon, that is a great name!

I'll tell you pucho, Amazon is not to blame, its instant gratification, Amazon is just a byproduct of it.

Its the whole idea that you should do whatever your heart and flesh desires, at the moment you desire it with the least amount of effort, and this has affected every single aspect of our society.

A clear example is the new generation of engineers/mixers/producers, I have met many of the new Gen Z kids going that way, I noticed that the great majority of them don't know how to play any instrument, they never played in a band, and they do not know music or harmony, why? I figured it out, playing an instrument and learning music takes a lot of time and dedication and they don't want to do it, they either want it now or they don't want it at all, if you can't learn something after 3 or 4 YouTube tutorials, then for them it is not worth it... That is why everyone is a DJ these days, you don't have to learn how to do it! if Paris Hilton can do it, anyone can! I am sorry for real DJs whos craft has been downgraded so much. There are some exceptions of course...

A shocking statistic which I've heard many times before: 75% OF CHILDREN AGES 6 TO 17 WANT TO BECOME YOUTUBERS

https://mediakix.com/blog/percent-children-becoming-a-youtuber/

Honestly it makes perfect sense to me.... You can gain world fame, followers, status, and a sh*t load of money for just filming yourself in your bedroom with a camera talking about whatever non-sense you can imagine, and if you are a woman you can have onlyfans! you can make millions for basically doing nothing but stripping and chatting with perverts! how appealing is that! forget about spending years learning a trade or going to college, a life long career? hell no!

This actress called Blac Chyna, I read that she makes 20 million a month for her onlyfans page! https://besttoppers.com/top-earners-on-onlyfans/

Remember back then when girls used to strip at clubs to pay for their college tuition? They don't have to leave their room now! and they don't have to spend it on college either! why do it if you are a millionaire?

Definitely instant gratification.  I get it, you broke something and need it fixed right away. Who doesn't? However to do what you want, it requires well beyond the means of what I have available.  I just assumed they  never had  to take things to a tech before and do not know how it all works, and the value of not rushing the guy who is incharge of getting your stuff back to snuff.

pucho812 said:
Definitely instant gratification.  I get it, you broke something and need it fixed right away. Who doesn't? However to do what you want, it requires well beyond the means of what I have available.  I just assumed they  never had  to take things to a tech before and do not know how it all works, and the value of not rushing the guy who is incharge of getting your stuff back to snuff.

Absolutely, how many things of modern technology are repaired rather than tossed away and replaced by a newer model?

cyrano said:
You need to read something else...

Are you refering to the article? its just the first thing I found, but I heard that figure before, otherwise, what do you think I am reading and what do you suggest I read instead?

Well, I see a bit of blame the younger in your post user 37518.

I mean, we all created this society, and the kids are just product of what we teach them and how we behave.

Regarding kids wanting to become youtubers, well, when I was young it was soccer player, and earlier rock stars. Nothing new actually, just change the names.

dirtyhanfri said:
Well, I see a bit of blame the younger in your post user 37518.

I mean, we all created this society, and the kids are just product of what we teach them and how we behave.

Regarding kids wanting to become youtubers, well, when I was young it was soccer player, and earlier rock stars. Nothing new actually, just change the names.

Yes, the results of today are a product of yesterday, which points out that things will be much worse in the future

75% seems a lot to me, but if it is true, that is a lot more than a mere fantasy of wanting to be a football player, a 17 year old is a senior in Highschool

Also the onlyfans thing, I can bet that there are definitely underage girls there stripping in front of strangers, AFAIK there are not enough measures to ensure eveyone is over 18 in that site, and perhaps that is on purpose....

I think since the first civilization the old people thought the youngs were gonna ruin the world.

In the past a 17 years old was almost an adult, with some job experience and a way different life perspective than a 17 years old today, anyway, I mentioned soccer, but was just an example.

dirtyhanfri said:
I think since the first civilization the old people thought the youngs were gonna ruin the world.

In the past a 17 years old was almost an adult, with some job experience and a way different life perspective than a 17 years old today, anyway, I mentioned soccer, but was just an example.

I am not that old, im 36, 10 years ago I was still going to bars and such, IMHO things were not like this...

user 37518 said:
I am not that old, im 36, 10 years ago I was still going to bars and such, IMHO things were not like this...

I'm also 36, old enough to not understand today's young music, fashion or trends.

I still go to bars and such, that's not related to age actually.

john12ax7 said:
You need to educate your customers on the business trio.  Do you want good quality,  fast service,  low price? Pick two.

Yup that works,.. you'll see them thinking  ;D

What also helps is to buy this item;

https://www.partycity.nl/Zoeken.aspx?KWSearchText=toverstokje

And put it in your toolbox.
Whenever someone comes up with a unreasonable request you say "I just bought the right tool for that !" ...and you wave it at them.

They'll get the message  ;D

PermO said:

Whenever someone comes up with a unreasonable request you say "I just bought the right tool for that !" ...and you wave it at them.

Damn, that will take my passive aggressive comments to clients to a whole new level  ;D

PermO said:

Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
I prefer to have them wear a tiara and hand them some flowers.  Ok princes.

To further update, I think the client decided his rush job was so important he went elsewhere or has decided it's not a rush job.  I can tell you that I am not the only tech in town, I can also tell you how there will be a minimum  of 2-3 weeks before anyone actually will be able to look at it.  Nothing I am not interested in chasing.

I don't do fast...

I refer those in a hurry to a large outfit. It'll cost them 75 € for an estimate. Non-refundable if it's next day delivery and a 150 € surplus. Puts them off every time. And often the large outfit can't do next day anyway, for lack of parts.

I don't do fast...

I refer those in a hurry to a large outfit. It'll cost them 75 € for an estimate. Non-refundable if it's next day delivery and a 150 € surplus. Puts them off every time. And often the large outfit can't do next day anyway, for lack of parts.
I was told a great advice when dealing with any client, you have to say:

You have three choices:

1.- I can do it fast
2.- I can do it cheap
3.- I can do it well

You can only choose 2 of them:

Fast and well will not be cheap
Fast and cheap will not be well
Well and cheap will not be fast

Latest posts

Back