EZ Tube Mixer Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last question of the day.

https://canada.newark.com/ept/105-40064/connector-plug-din-41612-5-08mm/dp/33P9037

Is this the correct 32 DIN Motherboard connector to order? There are 2 variations in sizes we want to be certain.

matriachamplification said:
Last question of the day.

https://canada.newark.com/ept/105-40064/connector-plug-din-41612-5-08mm/dp/33P9037

Is this the correct 32 DIN Motherboard connector to order? There are 2 variations in sizes we want to be certain.

The type you have posted is male. The connectors on the motherboard are female. The recommended part for the connectors on the motherboard is:

https://canada.newark.com/harting/09-03-232-6824/receptacle-din41612-c-32way/dp/63W4512?ost=2289392&ddkey=https%3Aen-CA%2FElement14_Canada%2Fsearch

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I found your Custom Tube Console a great read. Then I found your blog for the Mach 3 and got excited.

How is that project going? Are you building a full prototype for production or will the PCB become available? I'm interested in building a 10 channel version. I also wondered if the files for the Console Frame Cheeks will become available?

Well done!

Stuart.

The Mark 3 is still a work in progress. The original thread about it can be found here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55613.msg709792#msg709792

I just realised the first post was in March 2014 so it has been going for six years. The reason it is taking so long is because it is quite a challenge squeezing tubes into a 35mm wide module plus the fact it keeps being interrupted while I build mixers and other stuff for people. In the process I have developed a new mechanical sytem and designed or commissioned several transformers not to mention quite a few PCBs.

At the moment the plan is to build the "8 Tracker" which has a channel strip with mic, line and tape inputs as well as direct outs, four groups and four auxes. The standard cheek is 12 modules wide so 8 will be channel strips and the remaining four will be the master section. I intend to build this mixer complete and the sell it.

I will also make the PCBs available as with all my projects. The cheeks were designed by SRS here in the UK. They will be able to supply you with a set along with all the necessary extrusions, card guides and fixing hardware.

Cheers

Ian

This is fantastic news! Looking forward to this happening!

ruffrecords said:
The Mark 3 is still a work in progress. The original thread about it can be found here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55613.msg709792#msg709792

I just realised the first post was in March 2014 so it has been going for six years. The reason it is taking so long is because it is quite a challenge squeezing tubes into a 35mm wide module plus the fact it keeps being interrupted while I build mixers and other stuff for people. In the process I have developed a new mechanical sytem and designed or commissioned several transformers not to mention quite a few PCBs.

At the moment the plan is to build the "8 Tracker" which has a channel strip with mic, line and tape inputs as well as direct outs, four groups and four auxes. The standard cheek is 12 modules wide so 8 will be channel strips and the remaining four will be the master section. I intend to build this mixer complete and the sell it.

I will also make the PCBs available as with all my projects. The cheeks were designed by SRS here in the UK. They will be able to supply you with a set along with all the necessary extrusions, card guides and fixing hardware.

Cheers

Ian

This is fantastic news! Looking forward to this happening!
Likewise! I also recently read and enjoyed your Mark III blog - very interesting to see the process laid out so coherently. Also, huge kudos to you for making the results of your tube-based design talents available and so accessible. Your tube circuits are a boon to this community. The prevailing audio paradigm of DAWs, pcm interfaces and plugins has increasingly grown stale for me, and I have recently started attempting some direct to 2track dsd recording with an mp66 (sound skulptor) diy tube pre that I built several years ago. I can see that I will long to expand that to an 8 channel setup in the next year or two, if finances permit, and I would certainly think that your ‘8 tracker’ will be an ideal console for executing the sort of high quality acoustic music recording and mixing, for which the unparalleled sonic quality of tube circuits is so well suited.

So bring it on!

- Richard

Last edited:
I listened to a few tracks. Amazing how tubes distinctly separate instruments and they create the best cymbal sound ever. Well done.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Mr. Thompson-Bell

we are interested in learning a bit about meters. SIFAM (whom I mistakenly thought made faders doh!)

We are curious of the difference in the Audio AL series and the black FR series. Wanting black meters for our build will the FR models work. They do say they work for audio. But that could mean many things. Furthermore SIFAM will make the AL series in Black for us if that is the better route.

Sifam

What size meters should we be looking at?

Thanks

Wall

A little history. There is a specification for VU meters that was drawn up around the middle of the last century. It was designed to provide a means for engineers to accurately and consistently compensate for the losses in long telephone lines. It was never intended for studio use. The spec covered both the electrical aspects of the meter but also its ballistics. It is the ballistics aspects that are the hardest to achieve and account for a significant proportion of the cost of a true VU meter. To the best of my knowledge, nobody makes true VU meters any more. The result is that a host of manufacturers (mostly Chinese) make socalled VU meters but the actual ballistics they have are anyone's guess.

About the only people who make VU meters that come close to the original specification are SIFAM and they meet the modern version of the spec which is IEC 268-17 ( I am not sure how this differs from the original spec). Sifam's AL range of meters are VU meters that meet this spec. (Simpson used to make VU meters but I don't know if they still do)

Unfortunately, VU meters give no indication of peak signal level. This is very important in broadcasting where overmodulation can interfere with adjacent stations. To measure peak signal level the PPM (peak programme meter) was invented. To ensure peaks are not missed, the PPM incorporates electronics that effectively captures the peaks allows them to be indicated by a meter that would otherwise miss them. The Sifam FR range of meters are designed to be used as PPM meters with suitable added electronics. PPM meters are almost exclusively used by European broadcasting companies. They very occasionally found their way into recording studios (Pete Townshend prefered them and Helios had a PPM option).

As to what size you should use, I guess this depends on how many you plan to use. Some folk like to have one on every channel, other just have a pair on the main bus that can be switched to read individual channels using a solo of PFL button. If you need one per channel than smaller ones are probably all you have room for although some of the big Neve consoles I worked on had large meter bridges full of 3 inch wide VU meters. I normally try to fit a couple of good sized VU meters (3 inch or so).

I have attached an AES article that gives some more info on VU meters.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• mcknight_qa-on-the-svi-6.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 7
Hello Mr. Thompson-Bell,

Good morning. My family and I are going over my notes from last night and... we are a bit stuck at the moment. The snow and with our design. We thought that you might be able to make short work of our design dilema(s).

~~~
Knobs and Faders

The Grayhill 71BDF 30-01-1-AJN as well as the Grayhill 71BDF 30-02-1-AJN both have 6.35mm diameter (1/4" or 0.25 inch) shafts with a length of 9.53mm.

When selecting a knob what is max diameter for the base or the "skirt"? 24.5mm, 30mm?

Are there any other tips you can think of, when selecting knobs for the Compact Recording Console design?

The Twin Line Amp uses Bourns 3269X-1-103-LF to control the PFL (or other things).

What knob is reccomended for the Bourns switch? (I am stumped here)

P&G Faders. Which is the proper selection for a CTC build?
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/faders_carbon.html
~~~

Thank you again for your patience,

Wall and Family

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Thompson-Bell,

Good morning. My family and I are going over my notes from last night and... we are a bit stuck at the moment. The snow and with our design. We thought that you might be able to make short work of our design dilema(s).

~~~
Knobs and Faders

The Grayhill 71BDF 30-01-1-AJN as well as the Grayhill 71BDF 30-02-1-AJN both have 6.35mm diameter (1/4" or 0.25 inch) shafts with a length of 9.53mm.

Grayhill also make "A" versions of these: 71ADF-30-01-1 etc which have 1/8 inch diameter shafts. This gives you a wider range of knobs to choose from.
When selecting a knob what is max diameter for the base or the "skirt"? 24.5mm, 30mm?

To allow room for the legend around the control, the maximum diameter of the knob skirt is usually 19mm.

Are there any other tips you can think of, when selecting knobs for the Compact Recording Console design?

The Twin Line Amp uses Bourns 3269X-1-103-LF to control the PFL (or other things)
What knob is reccomended for the Bourns switch? (I am stumped here)
The above part is a surface mount trimmer potentiometer. The TLA uses a through hole trimmer to set the make up gain after the passive EQ. Neither of these needs a knob. They are adjusted during commissioning using a small screwdriver.
P&G Faders. Which is the proper selection for a CTC build?
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/faders_carbon.html

I rarely use P&G faders these days. They have become very expensive. The type you want is 10K LOG. I use ALPS K-type now:

Carbon

Cheers

Ian

Back