ez1081 question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewvait

Hey all, brand new to this group. I just did my first build of the AML ez1081. Everything went beautifully EXCEPT I installed the pin heads on the pin side of the transformer backwards and had to try to remove them without a desoldering pump. I was mercifully able to get it out by removing one pin at a time but they really didn’t want to go back into the head and I gave up on two that were particularly stubborn. I had initially assumed those pins just fasten the transformer to the PCB, but it occurred to me that they might carry signal. What is my recourse if any is necessary? Thanks!

Attachments

• 41440A01-80FF-4F5B-B287-59472483B3DC.jpeg
    41440A01-80FF-4F5B-B287-59472483B3DC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 35E9EBD9-CECC-46E3-879A-DBA22FC44722.jpeg
    35E9EBD9-CECC-46E3-879A-DBA22FC44722.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Hey there - quick follow up question. I ordered new pin heads and reinstalled the transformer successfully. Since the pin heads carry signal, I’m curious about the pins sticking out of the PCB in the photo - the instructions didn’t specify to solder them, or at least if they did I couldn’t find it after multiple reads. I didn’t want to assume to do it as they’re attached to the transformer and I know they can be sensitive to heat. Any recommended best practice with this scenario? Thanks again for your guidance!

Attachments

• 16CCE5DF-AF49-4981-BF39-256F6B8CAB9E.jpeg
    16CCE5DF-AF49-4981-BF39-256F6B8CAB9E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yes you need to solder them.

You really should have a basic understanding of how a circuit works and be able to trace a signal wire from a "net" in the schematic, through the various parts and PCBs and understand that there needs to be a good connection between each part connected to that net whether it be through a socket with fingers that make good mechanical contact or, like in this case where the part is simply pins through holes in the PCB that need to be soldered. If you're not comfortable with that, you should take the time to read about such things on the Internet or in the popular books about electronics instead of jumping into a relatively sophisticated build like a neve 1081.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Being that I have little experience, it will be all that more exciting if it actually works! Thanks for your suggestions - I will definitely look into that reading material.

The “finished” build for posterity 🤓 Will post whether it works or not for any newbies like me who stumble upon this thread and need a vote of confidence

Attachments

• B9A65CEB-2044-412A-9461-44DEA951052E.jpeg
    B9A65CEB-2044-412A-9461-44DEA951052E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Just wanted to follow up and say you were right - I'm in way over my head. It powers up but just send a clip-level pop when I plug it in that repeats every 2 seconds or so, no signal. Troubleshooting led me to realize I had installed the transformer upside down (the blue one I had already messed up), so I excitedly undid all that soldering and put it back together correctly, but still nothing but a repeating pop. Thanks for going on this adventure with me either way; at least I've learned something ? Maybe ??

Latest posts

Back