Factotum - Live soloist performance series - Infernale Machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imrc

Factotum #0 - Chapter A : https://www.youtube.com/embed/0O44GeoU0_w

FACTOTUM is a photography, video and sound series produced by Infernale Machine. It is created for solo musicians who play atypical, out of the ordinary or classical instruments which have been modified for research, experimentation and improvisation. This includes : DIY, electronic and acoustic or sounding objects.

AUDIO SIGNAL CHAIN :

Microphones :
- Neumann M367, U87, U47 fet, KM84
- Josephson C617, E22s
- Royer SF12
- Coles 4038
- Sony C36p
- Milab VM41
- Crown SASS-P MKII

Preamps :
- Gordon M5
- Martech MSS-10
- Trident / Infernale Machine custom Fleximix

Some people can't make music, so they make noise, and call it art.
Art is an absolute, it can't be discussed, if you don't like it, it's because you're not smart or educated enough. I'm a Beotian.

Lamartine wrote: "objets inanimés, avez-vous donc une âme?" (inanimate objects, do you have a soul?) I guess if  these nice microphones could talk, they would say "get me out of here".

Please note: that is my personal opinion. It does not represent the opinion of this group.

I agree by disagreeing ;)

Noise music can be highly artistic and "musically" (or rather structurally) pleasing, if well done. In general, however, pieces of noise music are just as good or bad as pieces in any other music genre. Granted though, there are more dilettants in noise music than in commercial pop or rock.

We have many truly outstanding songs in pop music, next to 95+ percent of utter crap. And likewise, 95+ percent of noise music is really bad -- or, worse even, plain boring. The same holds for free improvisation, which often is more interesting to the people making it than the people watching/listening to it.

And "no" again:
Art can easily be discussed and, more importantly, it needs to be critiqued to be meaningful. The problem is that some "artists" simply don't like being critiqued and, in ridiculous demeanour, try to deflect and hide behind the veil of alleged artistry ;)

P.S.: The critique in this post does not refer to the music in the link of the OP. I haven't even watched the video yet.

Script said:
I agree by disagreeing ;)

Noise music can be highly artistic and "musically" (or rather structurally) pleasing, if well done.
I have yet to find an example... There are some cases of adequate and interesting noise-based film background, but I can't qualify it as music. 
Granted though, there are more dilettants in noise music than in commercial pop or rock.
Yes, I believe I know why... Making noise does not require lengthy tedious formative years; any kid (or idiot) can make noise.
We have many truly outstanding songs in pop music, next to 95+ percent of utter crap. And likewise, 95+ percent of noise music is really bad -- or, worse even, plain boring. The same holds for free improvisation, which often is more interesting to the people making it than the people watching/listening to it.
I certainly wouldn't disagree with that.
And "no" again:
Art can easily be discussed and, more importantly, it needs to be critiqued to be meaningful. 
Maybe I should have put some emoticons in my comments. I've met several artists (particularly painters) who denied me the right to criticize their production because I don't have a deep enough knowledge of "art". I agree that artistic perception includes a dose of acquired taste, but OTOH, I don't need to be a hen to enjoy my eggs.
The problem is that some "artists" simply don't like being critiqued and, in ridiculous demeanour, try to deflect and hide behind the veil of alleged artistry ;)
+1
P.S.: The critique in this post does not refer to the music in the link of the OP. I haven't even watched the video yet.
Maybe you should... (maybe not).

I've met several artists (particularly painters) who denied me the right to criticize their production because I don't have a deep enough knowledge of "art". I agree that artistic perception includes a dose of acquired taste, but OTOH, I don't need to be a hen to enjoy my eggs.

Not a "deep enough understanding" of art?  :eek: That's downright ridiculous!
I too have met many people who belong into that category -- both untrained (no problem for me) and trained in the arts (pretty embarassing, if you asked me  :p). Either way, getting that kind of reaction from someone after criticizing or critiquing their "art" certainly gives us the right to question their integrity --be it as an artist or a human being, and maybe even both 8)

-------

Back to the link posted by the OP.
Not sure OP is asking for a critique of the music. More like rec quality I assume, for DIY gear. Anyway, I'd say this is way too musical -- even lyrical in a popular sense (read: not difficult to listen to) -- to qualify as noise music.  More in the tradition of European free improvisation, with ventures into ethnic music (a la Don Cherry or Yusuf Lateef) and some hints at European contemporary classical music (some Stravinsky-like syncopation and some Kagel or Lachenmann-like instrument sounds. Not sure). That's all I can/want to say about the music. As for the recording quality, it's quite nice with some crisp detail (as far as is discernible after translation into a Youtube video and me listening to it on cookie-cutter headphones via direct PC Out).

Aesthetic observations:
- The thumps when player hits empty valves on the horn are a bit weird, yet interesting.
- Maybe a tad too much room for my taste, especially on cymbals, which almost sounds removed from the kit. But I guess that was the idea behind recording it in a church/chapel?

Script said:
- The thumps when player hits empty valves on the horn are a bit weird, yet interesting.
That maybe a European disease.
I remember I engineered an album consisting in a mix of rebec and loops based on the parasitic noises of wind instruments.
The parasitic part had been done at IRCAM.
I did the pleasant recording of rebec and the unpleasant task of destroying all the rebec's beauty by mixing with the ugly noises.

I really think they're perverted when all they're interested in is the squeaking of a kick drum pedal, the valve noise of a clarinet, the screech of left-hand fingers on classical guitar and the breating of singers.

I work on a lot of experimental noise music. You can like it or not like it. Just like everything else. There is good stuff and bad stuff just like everything else.

Personally most classical music doesn't excite me. I can understand the artistry and complexity but it just leaves me flat. I get very little emotional satisfaction from it.

abbey road d enfer said:
Maybe I should have put some emoticons in my comments. I've met several artists (particularly painters) who denied me the right to criticize their production because I don't have a deep enough knowledge of "art".
Being a  painter myself (with 25 years of intense dedication to the craft), I can confirm that denial is utter BS.
An essential part of all arts is being meaningful beyond the life and personal knowledge of the artist. If you had that *deep knowledge*, you would probably paint your pictures yourself.

Otoh if someone acts condescending towards one´s work, without even taking a closer look or on the basis of some preconception, that´s the artist´s daily round, almost as frustrating as being worshipped for the wrong reasons, so you have to learn to ignore...and do your thing.
People do not always appreciate that real art has to take some risk. And that includes the possibility of total failure ;D

I myself love a lot of noise/soundscape/field recordings/drones/what you call it and grant everybody the right to not call it music. It sometimes takes me places nothing else does. I do not love the pose of high art, this delusion of grandeur that contrasts so badly with the empty bank account.

I took Double Bass lessons for a dozen or so years. I played in the city youth orchestra. It wasn't for lack of exposure or trying that I don't like classical music. I just never got it.

In art  good and bad don't exactly correspond to like and don't like. I can recognize good and bad  things in art I like and good and bad in things in art I don't like.

It reminds me (a little) of this concert I attended last March, a new musical instrument competition at Georgia Tech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUHqy_QmHk

benb said:
It reminds me (a little) of this concert I attended last March, a new musical instrument competition at Georgia Tech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUHqy_QmHk

I was there too!  Some pretty cool stuff at that show. 

I also did the hackathon the weekend before. Not as much good music, but a lot of fun! Tuesday before and after the concert we showed off our instruments. This video is from the end of the hackathon Sunday afternoon/evening"
https://twitter.com/MoogMike/status/704758681989201920

abbey road d enfer said:
I guess if  these nice microphones could talk, they would say "get me out of here".

I laughed for quite a bit when I read this. Maybe in the Drawing Board section we should investigate adding a small LED sign to mic bodies that light with the words "Please Stop" when triggered by the engineer. Not quite literally the microphone speaking, but close enough.

Thanks!

Paul

Art does NOT need to be critiqued to be meaningful (re: post#3).

Art is a direct communication between the listener (or viewer) and the art.

The vid doesn't show what is most commonly referred to as 'noise music' - it's a percussion solo, pure and simple (?). Noise music - Wikipedia

Absurdly over-mic'd. Classic example of someone mostly concerned with showing off their mic collection.

Last edited:
Very cool video and performance, I really like it.

There's no connection with this video with "noise" whatsoever so I find the negative remarks and comments completely absurd and out of place.

Too much mic for my taste, and the stereo image is too wide for me, too. It looks more like a gear showcase :)
The music itself is pretty cool, though, and beautiful space and lightning

Last edited:
Art does NOT need to be critiqued to be meaningful

If a violist gets lost in the woods, does it matter if they make a sound? :)

How do things/actions become meaningful without (representative) observation/experience? Perhaps it comes down to one's definition of 'critique'.

Last edited:
Certainly doesn't need to be critiqued to be experienced and appreciated by others.

Critiquing is offering your opinions to others. The word has a clear definition - it's not that open to individual interpretation.

Latest posts

Back