Fan motor for my diy BBQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
Forgive me for asking such a question, about (non-audio) motor wiring.
I have a new 120v motor, without wiring instructions (I looked online, no luck).

I may use this fan motor for a temp-controlled coal/wood fired cooking smoker. (to stoke the embers, when needed, via a HID temp controller)

Fasco # 7163-6784 Type U6381
DS2_0765_zps75101a48.jpg

DS2_0766_zps4095f2e4.jpg

DS2_0768_zpsc60dc20f.jpg

(white, green, black, orange)
I don't understand how the "orange" wire is used.

The Orange wire (protector bypass) is used how ?
Is it needed ?
Is it simply an optional over-heating safety option ?

That model is not in Fasco's "Full Catalog". I suspect they OEM more motors than they can count.

Put motor outside on study board. Get a 150-300 Watt 120V Incandescent lamp and socket. Wire a line cord Black to one side of lamp, other side of lamp to motor Black, motor White to line cord White. Connecting line and motor Greens would be good.

It would be Really Smart to mount or clamp the motor so it can NOT jump or spin itself off the table trailing broken live wires.

Plug cord into power-strip with an OFF switch. Plug power-strip to wall.

Stand back.

Apply power with power-strip.

I think it will spin. Weakly due to lamp resistance. Indeed the lamp may light 90% bright then dim down as the motor comes up to speed.

Don't run it with the lamp for more than a few seconds. Just enuff to verify that the connections cause a spin, that you don't have an Open or a Short.

Bypass the lamp. Now the motor should spin good.

I am suspecting that the "Protector" is like the button on some motors. You over-heat, the button pops-out, you press to reset. Maybe this motor was deep inside a box and a remote reset made sense. (However I'd think they'd call it "Reset" not "By-pass".)

1500 RPM seems a bit high for a stoker.  You don't want to blow ash all over the smokables.  A bathroom vent fan might be a bit more mellow, and ready to connect/control air flow via a metal tube.
Mike

This type motor is often used to blow air over the coils of the outdoor unit of home A/C.

Agree that unless the fan is lame, or the fire is huge, it may be a bit much.

Latest posts

Back