Federal 864

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pzjones

GDIY Supporter
Hello. Having read quite a bit on Group DIY about the Federal 864. I thought that I would have a go at a point to point build attempting to stick to the original design as much as possible.  So far so good. I have used a Hammond Chassis and had a front panel laser cut by a local company. I used some strip board to sub for the tag board and have kept the threshold and limiter controls on the back panel for the time being. Meter from Don Audio and knobs etc from all over the place.  I am getting a power transformer next week and will be using Sowter for the ins and outs. Obviously the problem will be getting the release time sorted among other things but hopefully it won’t prove impossible to get it sounding useful.  I don’t have a lot of time spare for posting but will have a go at letting you know how I get on....assuming anyone is interested.  :)

Attachments

• 91ADE4EB-7377-45CB-AEC5-32764740227A.jpeg
    91ADE4EB-7377-45CB-AEC5-32764740227A.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
Looks cool! Even the layout resembles the original from what I remember...

Interested in seeing and hearing your progress.... Please do tell what transformers you decide on and how they work out...

Thanks for sharing!

Definitely interested in details, I've been meaning to build one of these for a long time. 

From what I remember, the manual for this thing shows drawings of the original layout so it's not too hard to copy the original closely.

Matt C said:
Definitely interested in details, I've been meaning to build one of these for a long time. 

From what I remember, the manual for this thing shows drawings of the original layout so it's not too hard to copy the original closely.

You're right! It does..... Very cool....

Attachments

• Federal AM-864 Layout.jpg
    Federal AM-864 Layout.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back