FEELER: API style console (Toft ATB complete rebuild)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I've managed to finish 2 of my 16 planned Channels. I will be attempting to work these into a Soundcraft TS12 frame I have here.
I have a friend working on some CH strip front panel layout at the moment, and I'll post some pictures when those are done.

Not sure if anyone else is working on PCB final version 1.0, but I've found a few errors so far. One Floti made me aware of, phase switch is backwards, default out of phase.  The others I've found so far is R49 in the EQ section is missing ground connection. A few of the bypass caps around ICs in EQ, and the INA134 are not connected. I'll get some pictures of jumps I did later. 

The limited testing I've done I can say that it sounds great! Look forward to getting more work done on this soon.
Thanks again for making this available! fun stuff indeed.

Jon

Hi Jon! I drew the missing connections for another user after your findings, find them attached.

I think there's a revision with the phase switch right and one without, but I don't know anymore which is which. The one Myers has is ok, I think!

Anyway, there's always a way to make the channels work and they do sound great!

Thanks to you all!

Attachments

• Toft Input Layout Marking.pdf
    291.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi myers, I had time today and took a picture at the pcb on the board, so you can see how it actually fits. I‘ll attach it here. Also tried every function in the board and it‘s working great.

Attachments

• 78EC7E6B-30A3-4FE3-A528-6EE1EF5F4C55.jpeg
    78EC7E6B-30A3-4FE3-A528-6EE1EF5F4C55.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 221
Great, so that’s with the legs just barely in?

Thanks for that info Jon, I’ve got final 1.0 as well, so I’ll add those jumpers!

myers1st said:
Great, so that’s with the legs just barely in?

Exactly. I had some time today and have the submaster pcb 80% soldered. I‘ll let you guys know if I get to test it in the coming days..

Gilbert said:
Hi,
I've managed to finish 2 of my 16 planned Channels. I will be attempting to work these into a Soundcraft TS12 frame I have here.
I have a friend working on some CH strip front panel layout at the moment, and I'll post some pictures when those are done.

Not sure if anyone else is working on PCB final version 1.0, but I've found a few errors so far. One Floti made me aware of, phase switch is backwards, default out of phase.  The others I've found so far is R49 in the EQ section is missing ground connection. A few of the bypass caps around ICs in EQ, and the INA134 are not connected. I'll get some pictures of jumps I did later. 

The limited testing I've done I can say that it sounds great! Look forward to getting more work done on this soon.
Thanks again for making this available! fun stuff indeed.

Jon

I like the idea of someone building custom panels. It would solve some of the issues with the Pot and switch alignment.
In theory it would be a case of taking the existing footprint and bringing the pot cutouts closer to the switches. Then of course there is the custom screen printing. If anyone is considering doing this or has the knowhow then I am sure it would be very welcome on this project.

I have built 90% of a pair of prototype submaster modules supplied by Floti and have started a pair of channel modules. Currently waiting on parts from CAPI - due to arrive this week and Mouser.  As Floti mentioned my Master section is failing, I have a problem with hum and there is a in-balance between the left and right. It could be the Master fader but I have given up doing further work on existing modules.

I can't wait for Floti to finish the Master section - I think this will be very popular. I know a lot of people myself included modified the stock boards for the Jim Williams upgrade.

Hi all-

I managed to desolder and transfer everything over to a new board with the pots raised, slipped it in and it fit like a glove!  Except I plugged in a mic and...  no signal.  Gutted.

I had taken the time to swap over every component (excluding resistors) but neglected to move the IC chips  :eek:

Pulled the card again and put the IC chips in and voila, everything works perfectly, and it sounds fantastic!  Can't wait to finish a bucket of 8 and hopefully a master section soon  ;)

Thanks so much to Floti, what a crazy/awesome project.  Thanks also to Jon for pointing out those jumps (that diagram you made was helpful Floti). 

Cheers,
Steve

Yeah, I mean, they’re two completely different preamps, I made a quick comparison on acoustic guitar and it’s a big difference in tone.  The Toft preamps I always thought we’re pretty usable, but I didn’t want my console to just be ‘usable’ which was why I freaked out when I saw your project. The low mids are more there and the top end way smoother.  It sounds like an API preamp.  I can share the clips if anyone is interested.

I did just notice that my signal LEDs don’t light, I’ll need to look into that...  the mute/solo/eq leds work fine.

*bump

How are we all getting on with this project?
I am hoping Floti managed to build the Master Section for the Toft as I think it will be killer!

Same, I’ve got a pair of input channels done but my master is exactly the same as yours jawilkes so it’s collecting dust for now.

Nice to hear about everyone’s progress so far.

It’s been a slow go on this end. I have about 75% of the remaining 14/16Ch stuffed, then the 2520amps are up next.

Here’s a shot of the first rev of the front panel my friends laying out for me. Seams to be lining up nicely so far. Next version will have the right size holes for the button caps I ordered...

Jon

Attachments

• 158D88F6-4ABC-462E-ABE4-ED872666E88B.jpeg
    158D88F6-4ABC-462E-ABE4-ED872666E88B.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 186
How are you all progressing with the project? I have started getting custom panels made. Going through some prototypes with a company that offers lazer cutting.

I had to put the project down for the last 6 months or so. I’m going to have some time to pick it back up in Nov.
That’s good news on the panels! That’s been the trickiest part so far for me, still waiting on some revisions in that department.
I’m wondering if there are any Aux master PCBs for this project? Trying to figure out a solution for that.

Floti made subgroup PCBs as well, I have a pair but haven't built them yet. I wrote him a couple weeks ago to order the rest of the PCBs I need to finish my ATB, he got back to me, he was in the process of moving but said he still had some boards available.

Jawilkes, keep us posted about your panels, would love to see them.

@Gilbert - Floti does indeed have subgroups for this project.

Going back to the panels. They are a work in progress, currently working on REV 2.
These new panels will accommodate slightly wider faders, such as ALPS. I had issues with the metal bodies shorting against the boards in the original ATB console.
In order to get these panels made you need a .dxf file which is what I am working on/refining.

Once I have a panel in which everything fits correctly, I am going to start using it in the studio. The lack of labelling will make it interesting for guest engineers but I need to start using these new boards. I currently have a few failing ATB boards!

The end game is to get the panels screen printed with the labelling on. There are a few companies which offer this -
https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/products/?lang=en
Is anyone concerned with cross talk having the transformers close together ? Are there ways to prevent this?

I would really like Floti to finish the Master section boards ;)

Attachments

• TOFTAPI.jpeg
    TOFTAPI.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 100
Glad it worked!! The sound difference between a stock channel and my boards is quite impressive, isn't it?
Hi Floti, I have sent you a few email but not had a reply. Can you confirm if the HF and LF pot values of 22k are correct? In your mouser cart you had not included any 22k pots. Bourns do not make a 22k pot and locating one by another manufacturer in that specification/size doesn't seem possible. The easy solution is to use a 20k pot. Is this just a mistake on your schematic? Would a 20k pot work ? Please advise/or answer my emails so I can continue with the build.

Hello,
I am new to groupDIY.
I would like to build some modules and a master section for my Toft ATB32.
Is anybody still following this thread?
Should I post questions in this thread or another thread or should I be using email or messaging
Thank you,
Lindsey

@Gilbert - Floti does indeed have subgroups for this project.

Going back to the panels. They are a work in progress, currently working on REV 2.
These new panels will accommodate slightly wider faders, such as ALPS. I had issues with the metal bodies shorting against the boards in the original ATB console.
In order to get these panels made you need a .dxf file which is what I am working on/refining.

Once I have a panel in which everything fits correctly, I am going to start using it in the studio. The lack of labelling will make it interesting for guest engineers but I need to start using these new boards. I currently have a few failing ATB boards!

The end game is to get the panels screen printed with the labelling on. There are a few companies which offer this -
https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/products/?lang=en
Is anyone concerned with cross talk having the transformers close together ? Are there ways to prevent this?

I would really like Floti to finish the Master section boards ;)

I like the idea of someone building custom panels. It would solve some of the issues with the Pot and switch alignment.
In theory it would be a case of taking the existing footprint and bringing the pot cutouts closer to the switches. Then of course there is the custom screen printing. If anyone is considering doing this or has the knowhow then I am sure it would be very welcome on this project.

I have built 90% of a pair of prototype submaster modules supplied by Floti and have started a pair of channel modules. Currently waiting on parts from CAPI - due to arrive this week and Mouser. As Floti mentioned my Master section is failing, I have a problem with hum and there is a in-balance between the left and right. It could be the Master fader but I have given up doing further work on existing modules.

I can't wait for Floti to finish the Master section - I think this will be very popular. I know a lot of people myself included modified the stock boards for the Jim Williams upgrade.

Latest posts

Back