FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I see my kit in that pile  ;D

What's your latest ETA guesstimate on these bad-boys?

Thanks - and happy new year.  8)

Quote from: Ptownkid on January 05, 2011, 10:40:39 am
Pfffffft, you call that a pile...wait until I post the SB4000 pile pic...

He has designed the boards, proto'd, revised, got the prod run, silkscreensed the panels and got the kit together..... and were still waiting for your 'impressive' SB4k pic.

pfffffft

Hi there,

I have a question, I apologize if this is totally redundant.  Is there a full kit available with the case in the picture on the first page of this thread, and transformers, components, knobs, transistors, etc (as close to original components as possible) ?  I would be interested in ordered that.  If this information is already published somewhere in this link or elsewhere could you please direct me.

Also,  I've completed a Hairball 1176 rev a, and a Drip opto 4.  How does this compare to the complexity and skill level?

thanks, It looks like an awesome project!!!
Greg  :)

bieckmusic said:
Hi there,

I have a question, I apologize if this is totally redundant.  Is there a full kit available with the case in the picture on the first page of this thread, and transformers, components, knobs, transistors, etc (as close to original components as possible) ?  I would be interested in ordered that.  If this information is already published somewhere in this link or elsewhere could you please direct me.

Also,  I've completed a Hairball 1176 rev a, and a Drip opto 4.  How does this compare to the complexity and skill level?

Greg   :)

PM Sent.

I built a stereo SA-3A and a mono 1176 Rev A. I'm also in the process of doing a stereo Rev A, but have only populated the pcb's at this point.

I would say the 1176 is easier, but about the same level (intermediate). Wiring up and calibrating the 1176 is a bit trickier, but luckily Mnat's pages are extremely thorough. The SA-3A is very straight forward, but there are a lot of switches and crimp connectors. I personally would omit the 30/50 Gain and Mod/Classic switches (4 total, if using building a stereo unit). It's a bit too noisy w/o the Low Noise mod, and the Gain Mod is only practical while in Mod mode, putting the overall gain back to normal. Otherwise, the amount of gain is HUGE and unnecessary. Then again, if you omit them, you'd need a custom front panel since Ruckus' panel has 'em drilled already.

I found the hardest part of the SA3A is making all the molex connectors. IMO, that was very tedious, and would much rather have used some terminal blocks instead. FWIW, the SA-3A was my first legit DIY project (I had built 6 Seventh Circle preamps previously and wired up my guitars, but that was about the extent of my experience). It was fully operational from the get go, with very little troubleshooting to get it up to par. E.g., I wired the whole unit 180 deg out of phase (which come to think of it, I've never "fixed" lol), and one of the pots was wired backwards. No big deal.

It's a great sounding compressor, and obviously would compliment the 1176 quite well, much like the LA2A/1176 pair well together. Give it a go.

bieckmusic said:
I've completed a Hairball 1176 rev a, and a Drip opto 4.  How does this compare to the complexity and skill level?

Greg   :)

Back