FEELER: Moby´s T14/1 and C12A transformers reincarnations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear friends, thank you for waiting so long. I want to update with some news. After 3 revisions of the bobbin molding tool and 4 revisions of the laminations stamping tool, all the parts are "on stock". First 20 pairs of the coils are in the production and it will be used to determine the final magnetics properties of the laminations. It will ask for a few laminations heat treatment revisions, but it will happen.... As soon I confirm it I will start with the first batch (50 pieces). In that moment Vac11 will start to accept purchases. :) I'm really excited about this little transformer reissue and again, thanks for the support and trust. Photos of the production will be presented soon. Cheers!

Hey everybody. I collected all the material needed and already made a lot of prototypes but before I start this first batch production I wanted to "practice" a little. So, I decided to repair some vintage broken T14/1's and to analyse some more how it was produced through the years. I found that "dead guys" were from 1950-1970 production and as I suspected some parameters were changing through those years.
1.jpeg
In the first place the laminations alloy went through few revisions. To be more clear, early ones don't match magnetics properties with the later ones. I will proceed with the revision from the 60's because it sounded great to my ear ;).

Also, DCR values were +/-few%, meaning that primary DCR varied from 2900-3150ohms and secondary from 28-31ohm (one half).

To be honest, that really does not matter because the magnet wire manufacturers give DCR tolerance around +/-7% for this kind of wire.

BTW, I don't recommend measuring the primary of this transformer unless you have a special ohmmeter where you can control the current. The wire is really thin and a small DCR can damage it.
Since the transformers were varnished, I had o find the right varnish solvent.
02.jpg
it took me 48 hours to be sure the laminations are free to go out.

2.jpg
After that they were "resting" some more to be 100% clean
3.jpg
You can see how different the laminations is looking. Darker ones are the older ones
4.jpg
Here are the new winded coils ready to be filled with the old laminations.
6.jpg

Here is the first one repaired. Still not varnished but I can make it ;)
77.jpg
Please let me know if you are ready for this. If yes, Vac11, should we proceed?

Update:
Vac11 and I already started conversation about all the details needed to be determined here. So far we figured out that I will send him the complete batch and he will sort out individual packages to you. We do our best to cut down all possible expenses in hope to avoid exta fees on the end side. We will keep updating ....

Hello members,

as Moby said we had conversation about processing your preorders. This feeler thread is in finish. Thank you Moby for your hard work!!!!

Pleas send me on my personal email [email protected] following info:

Name:
Full adress:
Groupdiy nick name:
Telephone number (for courier):
Email for communication:
PayPal email:

As soon as I receive emails from you I will prepare invoice with calculated shipping and handling cost and info about payment. I will send you invoice to your email back.

We have to collect all money for preordered transformers before i will send you them to your adresses.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Hello members,

as Moby said we had conversation about processing your preorders. This feeler thread is in finish. Thank you Moby for your hard work!!!!

Pleas send me on my personal email [email protected] following info:

Name:
Full adress:
Groupdiy nick name:
Telephone number (for courier):
Email for communication:
PayPal email:

As soon as I receive emails from you I will prepare invoice with calculated shipping and handling cost and info about payment. I will send you invoice to your email back.

We have to collect all money for preordered transformers before i will send you them to your adresses.

Thank you!!!
When this was posted I sent my email right away but I've yet to hear back. Are the invoices being sent yet?

Pleas see first post in this thread and "info received" by your nick name. No worry. Im waiting for info from all members they preordered Mobys transformers. Then i will send all invoices.

One more update. We started with the winding job but I'm not happy with the one of the magnet wire quality. Probably too old wire. So, I made the order from the diferent manufacturer. I expect it soon, say next week. :)

Thank you Moby!!!

Than you all for your emails!!!

Almost all needed infor received. Some members dont send me email with personal info.
Here is the list of members Im wainting for:

gabriel.808 4x C12AT
Meyer 4x T14/1
100WChris 1x T14/1
koki 1x T14/1
uptownsquash 4x T14/1
Winetree 2x T14/1
audiophreak 2x T14/1, 2x C12AT

So guys, pleas send me an email!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back