• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Feeler: Original style 1081 cases

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

API

This have been a long project for me since the TommyTone 1081 boards popped up here several years ago.
Me and many more bought them and also knobs and switches in the old groupbuys but the cases never materialized.

I have tried to get many people to make them for me but it have always fallen through.
Dan made a great case as a prototype for me but when i wanted to start production of them he disappeared for a while and now he seems to have dropped out completely.

So, since i did my large Neve desk rebuild i made some good contacts at a local metalshop and with the help of a friend we have made CAD drawings of the complete 1081 case.
Now i have gotten a quote for 100 pieces from the metalshop which seemed good to me and i am currently working on the frontpanel with correct paint and silcscreening which should be sorted in the next weeks.

So i wanted to check if there still is any interest in these cases?
I had several people contact me over the years asking for these but not sure if there is still enough interest to manufacure 100 of them.
Me and my friend will take about 30-40 so i would need to fill the other 60-70 pieces (or more).

The cases will be in steel and will be nickleplated as the originals and all dimensions will exact as the old ones.
I have not decided if i should change all the screws to M3 instead of the old 6BA screws, but maybe that makes sense.

I was thinking of doing two type of kits available:
One with only the casing and frontpanel, and
One kit with case, frontpanel, full set of Marconi knobs, all pushswitches with brackets and original style caps.

The only thing i am having trouble to find are the four, large square caps at the bottom of the module.
Does anyone know where to source these or something similar (other than AMS-Neve).
The gain and eq switches are available from AML as a kit.
I might do an original style PCB as well furhter on of there is interest.

My aim would be to land the case and frontpanel at ca 100 euro each and the fuller kit with knobs and switches at around ca 160 euro each (plus tax if you are not VAT registered or live outside of the EU).
I am most uncertain of the fuller kit since i have not got pricing on everything for that yet.

So what do you guys say?

This sounds really amazing (also, I enjoyed your Neve overhaul!), but I think the problem of getting to 100 pieces for the group buy would be hindered by the fact the 1081 boards are no longer available. I think if there was a PCB set being made again that would be ensure at least 100 PCS sold. I know I would be down for at least a pair.

I think you shouldn't bother with offering a fuller kit unless you plan on running an online store and maintain inventory. Those that plan on undertaking this project should be assumed they know how to source parts and what not. Maybe a source(s) of the hard to find switches/parts would be helpful.

I hope this very worthy project become reality!

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul.

Yes, my focus will be on getting the actual cases together first.
The marconi kits and switches with switchcaps will be secondary since there are options to what to use there.

My friend have been working on getting a new 1081 pcb together and i believe he will offer this togehter with the cases, but i need to see if we can synchronize it all in the next weeks/months.

I do think we can hit 100 cases without the pcb though since there are many of the old ones floating around and i am already up to about 70 cases that are spoken for.

Then I will standby to see how the PCB works out. Myself a whole bunch of others here would be very keen on getting several of these if both case and board come to fruition.

Thanks!

Paul

Ok Paul, i understand.
I will check with my friend then and report back to see exactly how far he have come.

I'd be in for 4 sets with frontpanels and push switches.

I've finished two sets from TommyTones in 19" diy enclosures. But would love
to make the rest in "original" state.
BTW... amazing pre & eq. Components are expensive (switches & knobs)
but worth it... Quality costs.

I've also upgraded TNC81 (left in original input trannies) but these are
different. Gain stage on input is different and output is based on BA283.
EQ also "feels" different although circuit is the same...
Go figure...

That is great Jarek.
i will put you on the "list".

As of today we are very close to 100 cases so i am pretty sure that this will happen.
Wednsday i will go to the metal shop  and see if they are willing to do a prototype for me before full scale production.
Will report back here.

Of  course, i totally understand that.
As i wrote above i will meet with the metalshop on wednesday to see what they coold cook up.

I could post pictures tomorrow of the prototype i did with Dan, these cases will be identical to that one.

I would of thought so, albeit the 1073 has a different faceplate to the 1081. I would imagine the rest of the case is identical. Happy to be corrected though!

API said:
I could post pictures tomorrow of the prototype i did with Dan, these cases will be identical to that one.

That would be perfect, thanks. Personally I would go for the same imperial screws as the original.. they are easily available..

Latest posts

Back