Fender 63 Reverb Re-issue (and other Fender amps) Pilot Light replacement LED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxt403

I was wondering if anyone knows if an LED exists that can replace the stock pilot light bulb in Fender amps.  In my case- I need one for the '63 Reverb Re-issue.  I know that (apparently) the Champ 600 uses an LED so I wonder if there's a drop-in replacement for the 6.3 Volt AC bulb that's used in Fender amps.

According to the schematic- the lamp's connected directly to the PT's 6.3VAC winding but there are 2 x 100 Ohm series resistors and then the other supply voltages to the tube filaments.

I'm hoping there's a parts supplier or manufacturer who have a "drop-in" replacement (in that I don't need to add any diodes or resistors in series with it) for the bulbs found in Fender amps (albeit the bulb in my reverb tank is soldered).  Hopefully- through Mouser or Digikey.

I found a link in a forum post on another website to some on eBay but they appear to be rated for 6.3V DC.

Any help is appreciated (especially if some one has successfully replaced theirs with an LED). My concern is the excess power that's wasted from a simple light bulb indicator.  As is- my unit consumes around 20 Watts so I'm certain I can drop at least 1 Watt (which is A LOT: all 9 pedals on my pedaboard consume ~1 Watt). 

is the amp battery powered? how much do you pay for electricity? trying to go green?

just replaced the LED pilot in an Orange Dark Terror bass amp because the LED pilot failed, put a light bulb socket in there with a GE #47  and called it good, had to charge 40 bucks service fee because the poor guy thought his amp was dead due to no power lamp,

light bulbs are a lot easier to source and cheaper to change,  plus  there is no DC required,

I have a bunch of other equipment (synths, convertors, drum machines, etc.).  My Yamaha reface DX uses 3 Watts of power while my Alesis Andromeda consumes 30 Watts.  My concern is the amount of wasted power from the incandescent light bulb versus an LED circuit. 

It just seems wasteful to use a light bulb when its function appears to be superficial (although I think it also functions as a ballast).  Given  ~1 Watt powers my pedal board (that has 9 pedals on it)- I don't see why it's silly to want to consume less power for something as superficial as light bulb that's just indicating electrons are flowing through my reverb unit.  I discovered that Fender is implementing an LED circuit for the Champ 600 so I don't think it's impossible. 

Referring to the Fender Champ 600 service manual: it implements an LED in parallel with a 1N4006 Diode that are both in series with a 220 Ohm resistor (the entire circuit replaces the lamp as depicted in the 63 Fender Reverb Re-issue schematic- albeit there's also 4 Amp fuse).  It has a similar tube compliment as my reverb unit and I'm now wondering what an compatible/equivalent part would be (as the light bulb is a BA9S type). I'm not referring to using the jewel-type LED like on the Champ 600; I suspect I might need a BA9S type that's used in the automotive sector but I'm only speculating (if I'm going to keep the original mounting hardware).  I'm going to either replace the entire lamp mounting assembly with a jewel-LED (like the one used in the Champ 600) or just go with smaller jewel LED that fits into the original pilot light mounting hardware.

I'm also wondering if anyone has already implemented something similar on her or his Fender tube amp or reverb unit.

I just put a red LED in series with a 220r resistor, soldered that across the pilot-lamp terminals, and bent it into the jewel area, being very careful it CAN'T short to frame.

That way will flicker. Not so you notice looking steady, but if you turn your head quickly you get acid flashback streaks.

Technically it violates the LED's Reverse Voltage rating. But the 220r resistor prevents any large current. I have had zero trouble with this hack.

bxt403 said:
I'm also wondering if anyone has already implemented something similar on her or his Fender tube amp or reverb unit.

Not too be witty here, but am obviously a bit surprised to care about saving energy when we're taking about tube gear. But agreed, if saving a few mA's next to  stuff running more comes for free, then why not still do that.

There's the Surfy Bear solid-state 'equivalent'/emulation of the Fender reverb unit. While it runs rich currents as well in the audio-circuitry, at least it saves on heater power.

flying these parts in will probably result in much more wattage wasted then the lamps could possibly  save, but hey, they probably have diodes to prevent  acid  reflux or whatever was refered to up post,  :eek: :eek:

opps, 12 volts required,  :-[ :-[

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/leds-lamp-replacements/109?k=&pkeyword=&pv440=28&FV=ffe0006d&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Back