Fender Super Reverb OPT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
rewinding a lot since the guy's basement got flooded with salt water,

here we go with a fender blackface OPT, super reverb as the title says,

this is a nice one, has a lot of tweaks, reverse winding, non symmetrical pri layer section turns count, different amounts of insulation here and there,on, there is going to be a lot of pressure on that center section as the turns pile up, like wrapping your thumb with kite string til it turns blue and falls off.

the reason for the extra insulation between the first pri and sec sections is to make sure that the heavy sec wire does not smash down the pri secti

later fender opt's were pretty straight forward, so this is before schumacher started to cut corners,

Fender Super Reverb Blackface OPT.jpg

Attachments

• Fender Super Reverb Blackface OPT.jpg
    Fender Super Reverb Blackface OPT.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Here's to floods, and the unlocker of secrets. Thank you CJ!

Edit: May I ask, what are the benefits of reverse windings?

Attachments

• rev wir.jpg
    rev wir.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Super interesting!
I think that date code would be 1963, not 1966 (606-309)
I've always been curious about the difference in winding for the Super, Pro, and Vibroverb, since the circuits are identical, just different OPT to speaker configs. Inductance?

Edit: May I ask, what are the benefits of reverse windings?
The advantage is that the junction between the 1st and second sections of primary are done on the same side, so it does not have to cross the secondary.
Makes things easier because the wires are on the same side of the form.
Electrically, it increases stray capacitance and puts some constraints on insulation, because the start and finish of a complete winding end up close to each other.

this is a nice one, has a lot of tweaks, reverse winding, non symmetrical pri layer section turns count, different amounts of insulation here and there,on, there is going to be a lot of pressure on that center section as the turns pile up, like wrapping your thumb with kite string til it turns blue and falls off.

the reason for the extra insulation between the first pri and sec sections is to make sure that the heavy sec wire does not smash down the pri secti

later fender opt's were pretty straight forward, so this is before schumacher started to cut corners,

View attachment 103474

View attachment 103474
Hello friend, sorry to raise the topic, but when you say reverse wind, the coil is wound backwards.
Reversing direction on the spool?
part of secondary, starts from right to left?

I tried to illustrate in your drawing.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sem título-1.jpg
    Sem título-1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Back