Ferrite beads on output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suppose you switch to the transformer, (and presumably you remember to put a pull-down resistor on the input of the IC so it is not floating), now the transformer is trying to drive the audio signal on pins 2 and 3, and the IC is trying to hold pins 2 and 3 at 0V. Which one wins?

Yes I know what you mean. It was just a rough idea.

The next question I suppose would be what to do with the secondaries/ ICout when there are not being used. Let them float or sort them to ground?

I believe a 100kOhm to ground would be a better idea than have them floating (?)

BTW, thanks for all your help guys.

The next question I suppose would be what to do with the secondaries/ ICout when there are not being used. Let them float or sort them to ground?
Leaving a xfmr secondary floating is not a problem; however if it's unloaded, a possible resonance may be reflected to the primary. Whatever effect it would have depends on the driver's capabilities.
Leaving an EBOS (Electronically Balanced Output Stage) floating may or may not be an issue. I know a THAT 1646 behaves well in that case, but I can't vouch for other circuits.

Latest posts

Back