Fester's TG12413 in 51X format.... TG51X? Getting closer.........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KDE said:
Some one really out to do a TG in 500 series and slap a voltage converter on it and properly support the unit.
You mean to make it work on standard API racks (+/-16V)? Is this even possible?

rob61 said:
dgoszillai said:
anyone knows if it's still possible to find that kit somewhere ?
or if one of you wnat to sell your
igor's site is gone but i red he was searching for someone to handle the shippings etc.

Well, you don't get many second chances like this, but if you're still interested, I've just listed my complete Stereo kit along with the Lundahl output transformers and meters!
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55345.0

???

hi guys ,

just passing by saying hello. Anyone started the thing already ?
who is the guy who recently bought the stereo kit from rob61 ?
welcome to the desprate topic  :-X

I  missed out. I'm always broke at the wrong time. Another member is getting some pcbs made minus the control and bypass sections so I'm really interested.

rob61 said:
dgoszillai said:
anyone knows if it's still possible to find that kit somewhere ?
or if one of you wnat to sell your
igor's site is gone but i red he was searching for someone to handle the shippings etc.

Well, you don't get many second chances like this, but if you're still interested, I've just listed my complete Stereo kit along with the Lundahl output transformers and meters!
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55345.0

Which meters were you able to source? Could you find 1mA ones?

There was a round meter from Hairball Audio that fit the 500 series panel perfectly, but it was not a 1mA meter. In the series of images - what amounted to the only build docs for the project - there was a hand scribbled note showing how to convert a meter to response as a 1mA meter. Since I didn't build them I never tried it.

rob61 said:
There was a round meter from Hairball Audio that fit the 500 series panel perfectly, but it was not a 1mA meter. In the series of images - what amounted to the only build docs for the project - there was a hand scribbled note showing how to convert a meter to response as a 1mA meter. Since I didn't build them I never tried it.

The original meter was 2.4 mA, but hard to find. Would you know which hairball meter this round one may have been?

Ah, maybe the note was how to turn a meter into a 2.4 meter then... it had a variable pot so you could adjust it. Its been a while. As to the Hairball Audio meter, they had only one circular meter at the time to fit the 500 faceplate. Check their website.

I've recently picked up a rack version pcbs and am gathering parts to build this beast soon. I just finished reading most of the threads here and thought I'd say hello and good luck to the others headed down this path.

Hi All,

I got hold of a stereo kit of the TG51X; I saw a BM 'for sale' announcement by Winetree some time ago and that's where it all started... Thanks Winetree for having made this possible!

After having read thru this thread, I kinda expected the worst. But when I started gathering the necessary build info, I was surprised to find a wealth of first-hand info, including schematics, detailed build pics, even scope measurements...

I spent a couple of days sorting out what was included in the 'full kit'; absolutely all vital components appeared to be there. I just purchased the 4x Elma switches (in/out) and the two meters. I already had the output transfo's.

So I built the thing, fired it up and it just works! Calibration went flawless; I had to work a bit on the meters since they have a different coil resistance than the ones that Igor used but that's  basically all I had to find out myself.

I spent a short time listening to them, so far only with pre-mixed and pre-compressed program material, and by playing with the Hold and Input controls, a whole range of different sound textures is available. Very promising!

I guess what I want to say is that this is a great kit, not at all 'impossible to build'; all the info is available and just a little Ohm's Law and some logical thinking is all that's needed to bring this project to a good ending.

Those who have a stereo kit laying around and don't feel like building it, feel free to contact me as I might be interested in building another pair :)

Happy Holidays everybody!

Best Rogy

Attachments

• Rogy TG51X_ST_small.jpg
    Rogy TG51X_ST_small.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 111
Hi Rogy,
Wow, this is a blast from the past! Yes, I have one of these stereo kits, but far from selling it, I think it might be time to finally build it. I believe I have all the parts but find it a bit daunting. Perhaps I will try to post my progress once I get started, and get some pointers from this thread. Congrats on your build /- it looks very nice indeed. :)

Not well alas... I made an attempt which ground to a halt. Then in the last year I have been getting a new house built so much of my stuff is in storage. Ended up borrowing some compressors for that project. Perhaps 2023 will be the year for this...

- Richard

Hi. I was a friend of Igor‘s, rip, and in his memory and as a sentimental act im collecting units he made. If you are selling let me know. Thanks.

Back