Finished! my first ribbon mic.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixeltarian

pictures: http://jeffreyjamesmusic.110mb.com/ribbon/

I used the rickshaw records instructions and it went alright. the epoxy and model glue recommended didn't work at all. the chassis broke like 4 times. This is why you see that ugly black JB Weld all over. I used a handicapped-friendly bathroom rail for the housing and a flanged brass plumbing bolt I found at park supply for the bottom cover/xlr mount (which was way easier than using a step drill on an end cap). I have a clip recorded ("the lonesome death of haddie carol") that I'll post soon (the computer I use for recording has no internet). I could have been more precise on cutting parts, but it's very tricky to cut the plastic plating, it has a tendency to chip when you're cutting only 1/4" away from the edge, even if it's with a plexiglas cutting tool. So the top is a little wider than the bottom so I had to cut the ribbon to be a little narrower than 1/4" - but I really do like how the thing sounds. There was a lot of headaches and parts runs involved and I worked on it for about 40 hours in the course of 3 days. I was ready to call it quits the 3rd time the ribbon motor broke, but I'm really glad I finished because it sounds just wonderful. it's so full and saturated compared to my other mics, not crystal clear in the high register, but it's still something I'll use a lot on vocals for a neat vintage sound, and I wouldn't call it muffled by any means.

-26-13.jpg

That looks really nice - you did a great job. I bought the instructions about three weeks ago - I've been in no hurry to build it and am currently hunting for alternative, possibly cheaper parts. Your build provides some insight.

I'm curious as to how you built the shock mount - that's something that I've been thinking about on how to do. A description and maybe a couple of more pictures would be nice.

It's encouraging to hear that it sounds pretty good.

shockmount = the cheap one that comes with an MXL 990 and some extra foam to fit it snug to the mic.
the motor broke again. I guess I have to make a mold and create one solid piece or this sucker just will not stay together.
then again I haven't used jbweld, just jbquick. perhaps jbweld would do the job for real.

anyone know of a short run plastics fab place?
anyone else interested in a molded ribbon truss?
I could do a run of 100 or so if it's not too expensive.

I am always amazed at the high quality of work done by people on this forum.
Many talents on here.

Most excellent!   Are you happy with how it works?

Doh!  Just re-read your post and, yes, you're happy with it.  Awesome!

Latest posts

Back