[Finished] ssl9k + Harrison Ford Filter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Sun

Well, sort of finished anyway.

I proud present my first real DIY-project:
- 2 ch ssl9k, with JML Go-between and 1ch DI
- 2 ch Harrison Ford Filter

The pre and filter can be linked or used as separate units

The knobs/pots are:
DI, Ø, Pad, Gain (2x), link on/off, Lowpass, highpass, bypass (filter) (2x), power

The link is wired from the jacks, so it's not bypassing the out/in balancing. Could just use a jack on the back or my patchbay, but.. think this is more elegant.

S6305392.jpg

S6305394.jpg

More pictures here

To do:
- Replace coupling cap on the ssl9k x4 with wima or pio caps
- Fix painting on the frontpanel
- Make front graphics and apply

Sound, impression:
The ssl9 sound clean, tons of gain, but a tad dull/ boring. Awaiting upgrade of the coupling-caps. See: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=11320.msg615693#msg615693
The Filter sounds very good to me, but need some modding regarding corner-fq. see: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46390.msg615795#msg615795

Difficulties:
Been many difficulties with this project. When I started I was very newbie, had to ask for everything, and made some mistakes on the way.
Notice the +48 light on ch1 and 2, they're supposed to be identical, but not enough experience with metal and the drill :)
Anyone else have put 21 wires into a JML PSU? Not really recommended.

Summary:
A lot, a lot of work, but great experience. Next project will definitively be one that's easier to build..

Thanks a lot to all you guys that made it possible for me to do this project: Design, schematic, pcbs, parts and most of all -answering my endless row of newbie-questins :) Thanks a lot!

That looks great!  You should have seen MY first projects (MANY years ago).
My 9Ks are clear and bright.  Might be the coupling caps, maybe something else.
Like fine wine, you'll get better with age.  Just keep at it, and you'll learn as you go.
What's next?  ;o)
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
That looks great!  You should have seen MY first projects (MANY years ago).
Thanks Bruno! BTW: Thanks for all your help on the way! Would have been nearly impossible without you guys helping out :)
My 9Ks are clear and bright. 
God to hear. Mine is usable, and that will have to do for now.
Like fine wine, you'll get better with age.  Just keep at it, and you'll learn as you go.
What's next?  ;o)
Thank you!
Next:
a) Nothing
DIY takes just so much time and money. and I have a lot of other things to focus on right now.
b) 2-1176, 2ch Calrec EQ, G9 Tube pre :)

okgb said:
I like the regulator heatsinks , makes contact with the case even , nice !
Who's filter boards are those ?
Thanks! The regulators are not really connected yet. Havn't tested how hot they get. Best would be to fasten them with screws to the bottom I think.
Filters: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46390.0

Latest posts

Back