first DIY project suggestions.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ze marcelo

Hello everyone, I'm planning to build my first DIY project and I'm thinking about the Gates M-3638 -SA-134 octal tube preamp, it seems affordable for beginners like me. however I would like to hear from more experienced people before starting the actual project. Do you think it's a real starting point? If not, could you suggest another tube preamp project? I'm open to any suggestions, thank you very much.

Hello everyone, I'm planning to build my first DIY project and I'm thinking about the Gates M-3638 -SA-134 octal tube preamp, it seems affordable for beginners like me. however I would like to hear from more experienced people before starting the actual project. Do you think it's a real starting point? If not, could you suggest another tube preamp project? I'm open to any suggestions, thank you very much.

Have you done anything with electronics (guitar amp repair, etc)? If not, I would not start with a tube project for my first - the voltages can be lethal unless you know what you’re doing.

If you have 500 series, one of the many preamp kits available is a great first start, since the power supply is taken care of for you. Something like the CAPI VP26

Have you done anything with electronics (guitar amp repair, etc)? If not, I would not start with a tube project for my first - the voltages can be lethal unless you know what you’re doing.
+1
Do you think it's a real starting point? If not, could you suggest another tube preamp project? I'm open to any suggestions, thank you very much.
I find the old Gates units very interesting, although I think the Gates SA70 would be the better choice as it has less gain, easier to build and there are also some proven mods for it described here in the forum.

1000038585.jpg

a good cheap and easy mic pre project is the DIYRE 500 series Colour preamp, even if you don't use any Colour modules. Very nice clean preamp with THAT ICs right off the datasheet -- very hard to mess up: https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/cp5-mic-preamp-with-colour

Five Fish Audio also makes what I've heard is a very good cheap 500 series mic pre kit, but I am not as familiar with it: https://www.fivefishstudios.com/500serieskits/sk1di/

like @Dylan W said, tube stuff isn't a great move if you've never worked with tube equipment before. A better path to learn your way around tube gear (rather than a pro audio piece) could be something like a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe or 5F1 Tweed Champ guitar amp kit.

a good cheap and easy mic pre project is the DIYRE 500 series Colour preamp, even if you don't use any Colour modules. Very nice clean preamp with THAT ICs right off the datasheet -- very hard to mess up: https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/cp5-mic-preamp-with-colour

Five Fish Audio also makes what I've heard is a very good cheap 500 series mic pre kit, but I am not as familiar with it: https://www.fivefishstudios.com/500serieskits/sk1di/

like @Dylan W said, tube stuff isn't a great move if you've never worked with tube equipment before. A better path to learn your way around tube gear (rather than a pro audio piece) could be something like a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe or 5F1 Tweed Champ guitar amp kit.
What does that 'Color' knob actually do?

"As much as you want of any color" - how's that possible with a single knob?

What does that 'Color' knob actually do?

"As much as you want of any color" - how's that possible with a single knob?
It’s a modular system, there are different line level “plugin” modules that go after the preamp. When you turn the color knob, it turns up the input and turns down the output. Pretty clever and some of the modules are pretty nice sounding.

Hi everyone, thanks for your quick response. @Dylan W @z11111 , I already have some experience with residential electricity (installation, modification and minor repairs) and also with electronic devices such as guitar tube amplifiers and hi fi tube amplifiers. At the same time, I have installed in my house a Residual Differential Device that allows you to avoid any electrical shock. I also thought about DIY 500 serie, but unfortunately I don't have a 500 series rack and it´s very expensive for me import one of that in Brazil. Very nice project @rock soderstrom, maybe it will be my first one.

Back