First time posting, from Allentown PA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined back in 2018 but I haven't made any posts because I haven't had the time to fully delve into DIY building as soon as I liked. I just ordered a soldering station so now's finally the time! Figured I'd post here.

I am 25 years old from Allentown PA and I am a freelance producer/engineer and artist! I mostly travel for producing and tracking work in recording studios, but I also engineer at my local Library's recording studio (yep you read that right, free recording studio to anyone with a library card). Sometimes I'll run sound at a small live gig, but when I'm not traveling I'm mixing, mastering and recording in my home studio with my vintage Tascam m520 (really love that console).

I made a long term list of projects/goals I want to accomplish in my DIY journey, thought I'd share:

1. Modify my old Rapco branded DI box with an upgraded transformer
2. Build a tonebender mk1 guitar pedal
3. Build my one friend a tonebender mk2
4. Modify my MXL v250 mic (might do the mic parts mod)
5. Build the old "Echomatic" cassette tape delay DIY project and rackmount it
6. Build some compressors (1176, stereo LA3A would be sick, Fairchild when I actually know what I'm doing)
7. Build a Fet47
8. Build a stereo pair of Neumann m269c mics

Obviously I got some big goals!! Starting off small with my old little Rapco DI that currently sounds awful, maybe I'll put in a cinemag transformer. Already orderd a PCB for the tonebender mk1, so that will be the first full build project.

My main goal is to get to the point where I can outfit my home studio with mostly DIY builds of microphones and outboard gear that I can't afford regularly. I had the privilege of attending some sessions at Abbey Road back in 2019 and I've never been the same since hearing their Fairchild 660s; I promised myself I'd learn to build one for myself one day!

Looking forward to learning :)

Wow! Cool to join with that clear vision in mind.
I was just always stumbling around like „what can I do next“ (that I doesn‘t break the bank).
Inspiring to see your bulletlist.
Have fun improving!

Rob

Latest posts

Back