Fixing a Symetrix '501' peak-rms compressor/limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_luke

Hello all! :)

I have one of those compressor/limiter Symetrix '501' peak-rms compressor/limiter.
I always liked it, easy to set, sounds good etc...

The first thing I would need is that I have lost the schematic so if anyone have it, can you post it here?

The second problem I have with it is that is a rather old unit, from the 80's (serial number #125!!!)
This thing uses a Allison Reasearch EGC-101 vca, and had a black box that did most of the rms/peak signal to dc conversion.
This black box is long dead unavailable anymore. So the obvious question is: does someone have for sale or trade??
But being somewhat of the pessimistic type, I do not expect much response to this last question, and a couple of years ago, I tried to replace that black box with a vero board version using a http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/SSM/SSM2110.pdf
It works 'somehow' but now every adjustment is very twitchy to say the least... to a point where it is unusable.
Are there some guys here who can point me in the right direction in trying to fix it?

I am not too insistent on using the 2110, a THAT chip would be fine also I guess, what I am missing are the parameters of the signals used in the black box (input level, output current, etc)

Thanks, Luc

Thank Queef!
Actualy I had already found this http://www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/501_sch.pdf on the symetrix site.
But this is for la latter version using a SSM2150 and an output transformer.
Mine is an earlier version and used a 'black box' for the RMS/PEAK averaging circuit.
The topology is not the same at all, hence the schematic does not relate either... rats!  :(

Thanks anyway! :)

Luc

I can't help but I've got one...nice sounding box.
I need to check what version it is!

by the way, are you the same Blue Luke from Audiofanzine?

cheers.
Jr.

Latest posts

Back