Flowchart

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachevelle

Hello friends,
Just like everyone else, I registered so I could post a Question, or two...
Please allow me to preface my ?s with an abbreviated version of my story.
This will be my second go at DIY electronics, as my first attempt was unsuccessful. About seven yrs ago I had some interest in building some
"high-end" mic preamps. I didn't have access to the internet, so I went to the bookstore. I bought a book called "Basic Electroncis Course" I believe it was written by Norman Crowhurst. Way over my head so to speak.
This leads us to my first (?)...
Suggestions on electronics books......
Please consider while I redily concede that BASIC elec. knowledge is a must, my sole interest lies in audio elec's.
Next. Around the same time I bought that book, I was living in San Diego, Ca. I found a guy that ran an elec. repair business. I went to see him because I was told he had some nice gear for sale, he did indeed. In the lounge area of his shop he has a set of corner horns, and a couple of mono blocks. Hearing Quincy Jones' "Smackwater Jack" was very......liberating. However, I noticed on his wall there was a large poster. Maybe 24"X36" showing a circuit diagram. I don't remember what the circuit was, but super-imposed over the diagram was a "flowchart".
From the input to the output you could see exactly where the signal went, what it went through and why. There were also "footnote" exp. at every res. cap. trans. explaining why. I have searched endlessly for more examples of this, I have found nothing. If anyone here has seen this sort of thing, please post a link. Also, if anyone would be willing to spend the time to make one for one of the micpre designs available here that would be very useful. It should be obvious by now that me knowledge of elec. is limited, very limited. On the other hand, I knew little about diesel engines when I was starting my trucking co, now I can build a motor from spare parts. Also, for clarification purposes, the gear that I want to build is strictly for my own personal use, not for sale. I have been playing drums, bass and guitar for the better part of fifteen years. I haven't had access to a studio for the last seven years, for all the music I played and recorded over the years with my friends, there is very little left. I've had several opprotunities to help other friends, and bands, make recordings and memories, I've just never had the gear. I would hate for other people to have the memories, but no recordings to go back and listen to. That sucks.

this is an area that was intended to be covered in tbe early days of Group DIY
and has been neglected
it can be argued that if you
learn to read a schematic and the problem is solved

To do such a diagram is a little time consuming and this is time that could be spent on other DIY things

Project 1 and 2 were always meant to have this info and at present these project pages are stagnant

steps are in place to try to re-launch this sort of spread and knowledge but there is no target time frame for this

Pick a Mic-pre
... like the API/Gain block or the Neve1290 and we can talk you through the meaning of the schematic
it may even form the basis for a web page of the infomation you seek

flow chart = block diagram

Harman ??
mmmm
I'll let someone else tackle that one as I may be a little critical

Kev,
Thanks for the info. As I poured over various threads I started thinking
GREEN. It looks as though kits are available as well as pcbs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you can build that for around $100.00 a channel or there about. This would be a wise decision on my part I think, as I've heard that the quality is decent, and for the money invested.......
well lets just say I won't completely hate myself if I burn it to the ground.
So, advice, tips, whatever.........oh, and before I forget..... both of my guitar amps as well as my bass amp are starting to make alot of noise and often cut completely out whenever I move any of the pots on the front panels. They are all misc. Fender pieces. Any advice before I throw them off the balcony??????? Thanks again.

I have alway said that the best first time project is the Green Mk1
this point of view is based on a number of factors and considerations

It is very possible for you to make your own PCB
( But I'll let you buy one if there is one on offer ... however it may be the Green MK2 )

The parts are not unusual and most of the electronics counter sales will have all the components
It still means you have to choose as it is not a kit. This is good. You will learn something.

A simple forgiving circuit that does NOT actually have to be trimmed or aligned for it to work ... even though there is a trim pot on board.

This project will take you from nothing to a completed Rack Unit and involve a little 110 or 120 volt mains wiring.
(A tubed circuit has many high voltage points and this is can scare people off)

It sounds better than the price might suggest and the sound it does make is quite useful on most bedroom recorded material and many studio recorded sounds and with most ... if not ALL microphones.

If you can do a good job with the a Dual Green Mk1 ... I am sure you will be able to make any of the op-amp based Gyraf projects
and any JLM or Seventh Circle projects.

The more success you have, the more likely you are to do one of the simple Tube based PCB or PtoP projects.

:roll: we need to know what those guitar amps are before any comments can be make
don't throw them yet
at the very least you may be able to fit a Champ style tubed amp into the boxes

Kev,
The bass amp is a SIDEKICK 35
Oddly enough, I have a CHAMP
The other is ratty, but I'm thinking it's a twin reverb.
Both guit amps are tube
the sidekick is solid state
all three are FENDER
Many thanks

One other thing...
Soldering. Are there any majo pitfalls to be mindful of?
I'm a diesel mechanic so I p2p a little, on a semi i can wire anything. This will prove to be vastly different though, I'm sure. I am hoping that my stick, mig and tig welding abilities will lend themselves to this endeavour. Any thoughts?

if you have a real soldering iron and some good solder
I don't see any specific problems

as with all things practice makes perfect

Point to point is a little lumpier and arguably easier than a JLM PCB which can be quite tight

But PCB work means you don't have to worry about layout

As far as the amps are concerned ... look for all the info you can find, schematics and manuals

When you have enough info you can look to a fix
or rework the insides completely

bcarso......
I noticed it every time I saw a post from Jakob. I really don't have any idea who harman is, I suppose some things are better off left alone. I used it for the irony, but in all seriousness, if it offends ANYONE... especially Jakob, I will remove it promptly.

www.harman.com

I think that is their site
errr
it's a big company ... little company sort of thing
perhaps it is a control issue

I'm not explaining this at all well
:cool:

Bachevelle,

I just wanted to add my praise to Kev?s on the Green Mic Pre MK1, I?m about
to tackle another 4 this week.

The MK1 is a great ?simple? circuit, that sounds great for the money, in
fact more than the money.