Focal Solo6 Be Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,
I've had a pair of solo6s since 2013. Recently, one of them has started intermittently (although more constantly lately) sounded distorted with a reduced signal level. I've had it on my bench and exhausted everything I can. It *sounds* like a bad connection or scratchy pot type of sound but none of the connections or the pot seem to be the cause. Googling around, it sounds like this is a bit of a thing with these and others have described similar symptoms.
I sent a contact form to my closest dealer (I'm in New England and they are in Quebec). Got a lovely automated response in French, but nothing beyond that. I see a couple used single speakers on Reverb at the moment. They are pretty beat up cosmetically, but apparently the amp works fine. I'm considering buying one to harvest the amp and back plate from it. If it works, I'd then also have a couple spare drivers.

Anyway, my question is this:
My back plate looks slightly different. The obvious difference is that the sensitivity switch on mine is a toggle, and on the other one, it's a slide switch. Does anyone know or can anyone confirm that the overall form factor of the two are interchangeable? Would it fit in my cabinet without any issues?
Thanks in advance!
-Bob

Yes it probably should do.
We have the Twin 6 Be's here and when needed a new amplifier for one of them, Focal sent the whole back panel complete!
This had the slide switches rather than the original, easily broken toggles. It fitted straight on.
It also had different amplifier chips, as the original they used has been discontinued.

Yes it probably should do.
We have the Twin 6 Be's here and when needed a new amplifier for one of them, Focal sent the whole back panel complete!
This had the slide switches rather than the original, easily broken toggles. It fitted straight on.
It also had different amplifier chips, as the original they used has been discontinued.
Thanks Kevin, that sounds promising.

I’ve had this strange loud crackling hiss coming from one of my Focals. I sent it to the only Focal certified technician in my country who decided it was the tweeter amp and replaced it. Two weeks later the noise came back with no input connected. He suggested replacing all the electronics which I did not agree to since it would cost $1000. Focal wrote to me and said it is not protected from the 4g/5g networks. The other monitor has had no such interference only the one which used to come and go. After 3 months of no problems, the noise came back this time it is constant. I even tried it in a different location and it still made noise. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

If you disconnected the tweeter cables (cover the tweeter with your palm when you remove the screws because the magnet is very strong and can easily pull your screw driver), is the noise can still be heard?

1000018621.jpg

If you can still hear the noise, then your problem is with the woofer amplifier. It could be the same problem that I had.
You may wanna measure the resistance of R311 in circuit. It should be 15K even though it is a 120K resistor. If it does not measure around 15K, solder a jumper wire from it to C312.

1000019268.jpg

If you disconnected the tweeter cables (cover the tweeter with your palm when you remove the screws because the magnet is very strong and can easily pull your screw driver), is the noise can still be heard?

View attachment 124997

If you can still hear the noise, then your problem is with the woofer amplifier. It could be the same problem that I had.
You may wanna measure the resistance of R311 in circuit. It should be 15K even though it is a 120K resistor. If it does not measure around 15K, solder a jumper wire from it to C312.

View attachment 124998
The Solo’s are history. Fixed them, Sold them and bought trio’s

The tweeter amp was replaced and in good working order and both monitors were sold. Onwards and upwards 👆

Good for you because Focal is behind like 3-4 weeks and sent me to Ears NYC to get the 6be fixed. Wondering if I should just wait till I have free time to look at it.

Latest posts

Back