Forced Class A opamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, let's dismiss marketing here and stick with science.

Assuming the rest of our op-amp is well designed and there are no silly mistakes, then our "optimum AB" biased output stage will always be the limiting factor as far as distortions are concerned
This stage will never be perfect no matter how we fiddle with things. Anyone who's measured the individual stages while building an analogue power amp etc. can tell you this of course.

I don't at all claim to have golden ears, but there are folks on here who either do have them or, like me, will know someone who does. I'm talking about the kind of folks who make a living using these golden ears, not the guys who tweak with speaker cables etc. at home.

Whether we like it or not, some folks can hear the difference between class A and optimum AB when listening on a good monitoring system.
Maybe not in the context of a signal path containing 20 or so IC op-amps, but certainly in a one on one blind test.

While it's not easy to better the specifications of good IC op-amps, it's not impossible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back