• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Fostex Recorder D824

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukas

Very good condition, symetrical input card added. 100euro plus shipping , and paypal fees.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    641.5 KB
Last edited:
I took one of those old Fostex Hd recorder/mixers and added a new hard drive around 20 years later with 80Gb of IDE storage instead of the 540 Mb of the original drive , I set it to stripe the new hard drive , I had to wait till the next day until the format was completed but in the end it worked flawlessly for many years after with greatly increased record time . It broke the drive up into fat32 style partitions , so essentially there was no limitation other than HD capacity and any one project couldnt exceed 4.2gb .

On/Off topic ..
Around 10 years ago I got a few sets of Fostex Pm03d mini monitors , the left speaker houses the class D amp for both channels , I used both right channel passive speakers in an install job I did with an external amp ,I was left over with the two powered units , I went through a series of tests where I passivly bi amped and bi wired the Xover, first with the two channels of internal class D amps which distorted in a very unpleasent way when pushed , then with external old style class A/B amplification , night and day .

Those Fostex are still my reference small speaker ,Passive bi-amped ,3 inch mid and 20mm tweeter makes for a near point source to my ears.
Additional -6db per octave bass attenuation on the tweeter channels by including a smaller coupling cap in the cable . X over is 2khz , I aimed the filter for 200hz to alieviate dissapation in the tweeter voice coil without upseting the passive crossover too much .
I repurposed a single Kef 103ab ,with its passive radiator by cutting a slot in the back to accomodate a sub woofer panel amp , that sits mono/centre of sonic picture, 0.5w tube tweeter amp , around 30w on the mid and 75 on the Kef woofer , the signs of soft clipping are apparent at around 90db spl ,but it doesnt chew your ears off if you feel like pushing the levels a bit into the red after a few beers .

Last edited:
Back