Fum Ribbon Motor problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamasd

I just pulled out my second one of these to finally put it to use today only to discover that the chrome has pulled away from the neodynium magnets.
fumribbon.jpg

It has made it useless in the present state. So why is neodynium chromed? Should I just pull off the chrome, or with it just oxidize away to nothing then? Any Ideas on how to go about fixing this?

adam

I suppose ye gets what ye pays for.

I would just sand the magnets with some fine-grade paper, and then clean them very carefully.

[quote author="rodabod"]I suppose ye gets what ye pays for.

I would just sand the magnets with some fine-grade paper, and then clean them very carefully.[/quote]

Thats pretty much what I will do if the magnets are not going to just rust away without their chrome coating. Neodynium seems to always be chromed, so I am thinking there is a good reason for it, but I have not been able to find out what that is yet.

adam

ok, I will just replace the magnets then. Assuming I can find something suitable. Or maybe I will just clean it all good and give the whole thing a few coats of paint.

adam

Your ribbons look pretty fooked too, although I assume you've already noticed that.

You could sand the magnets and spray them with some kind of primer.

Your ribbons look pretty fooked too, although I assume you've already noticed that.

Yeah, pretty much, not a huge deal. $25, how can I complain, if nothing else i got a nice mount to make a new ribbon on. Maybe I will make new clamps with tension control as well.

You could sand the magnets and spray them with some kind of primer

Thats the plan. Assuming I can get them off without damaging them. I do not really want to go through all the work of fixing it up to just find out the back side of the magnets are also corroded away and the magnets are just waiting to pull off the frame.

adam

that, or shoot me a pm, and I'll send ya a new one. =)

I've had it happen once or twice, but luckily hasn't been a common occurance.

Regards

ju

I saw an APEX branded 2" single ribbon with that problem today. First one I've seen. The plating was bubbled up against the ribbon and causing it to drag. An aging phenomena?

[quote author="Michael_Joly"]I saw an APEX branded 2" single ribbon with that problem today. First one I've seen. The plating was bubbled up against the ribbon and causing it to drag. An aging phenomena?[/quote]

I thought about that as well, but I think it's more a QC issue.

The more I work with these, the more I'm taking on myself. Changes are on the wind =)

Regards

ju

[quote author="fum"]The more I work with these, the more I'm taking on myself. Changes are on the wind =)

Regards

ju[/quote]

Hi Ju,

Sorry for the inserted diversion: as a non-native speaker it's not fully clear to me if you mean that you can 'abuse' those mics more than you initially expected... or is it actually meant the other way: that you've learned from experience you need to be more careful with these mics ?
You/Ju used 'wind', so I guess you meant the latter :cool: :?

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter,

I guess that was kinda slangish.

What I was roughly saying is that, although the current crop of microphones are fine, and do a cool thing, where I'm heading as a company is finer tuned.

If I'm taking something and turning it into something else, why don't I make the something else to begin with.

Regards

ju

[quote author="fum"]Hey Peter,

I guess that was kinda slangish.

What I was roughly saying is that, although the current crop of microphones are fine, and do a cool thing, where I'm heading as a company is finer tuned.

If I'm taking something and turning it into something else, why don't I make the something else to begin with.

Regards

ju[/quote]

Thanks Ju for the clarification :thumb: Rereading your 'take on'-line is clear now (and completely different from what I initially assumed :wink: )

And I see your point.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back